Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #1

Cabinet Door fell off... Wolfpup 2017

Recently on the way home from a short camping trip, the cabinet door to the left of Microwave fell of the hinges and ended up sliding around on the floor. When I arrived home, I entered the WolfPup to do some clean up, and found the door in a few pieces on the floor. The hinges still on the frame, looks like the screws pulled right out of the cabinet. I never noticed them being loose, but always noticed the hinge squeaked a little. No real damage to the cabinet, but I can see where it must have been hanging on for a few miles bouncing off the frame. The only contents of that cabinet are paper plates, drink holders and plastic utensils. Nothing heavy, and it was all still in the cabinet.

So I contacted Forest River last month, and have been in this holding pattern waiting to find out if I can at least buy one, will they cover this and send me a replacement, etc. (Its still covered under factory warrantee, but the last thing I want to do is leave the trailer with dealer for weeks waiting on a cabinet door. Even driving to the dealer and having them look at it can be hours if not an entire day process. Its cheaper to buy a new door.

Anyone have any luck dealing with forest river and a replacement like this, or any item like this that is easier replaced by owner? Do I really need to get the dealer involved?
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:19 PM   #2

I had 2 defective roll up shades in my 2017 274RK. (Wrinkled and uneven) Called FR and they suggested I take the blinds to my nearest dealer (50 miles) and see if they would exchange them. I removed them and took them in Wednesday. They called me 30 minutes later and said FR would replace them and they should arrive in 2-6 weeks. Meanwhile I picked up the old shades to use while I waited. Dealer was happy I didn't clog up their lot during busy season for shade replacement. I was happy I got such quick response and won't be without my trailer or shades. So as of today I'm very happy with FR warranty. I'd suggest calling to see if they'll order you a replacement door without dragging your whole rig to the dealer. Worked for me.
Norcalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Got a pic of door?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:23 PM   #4

I called the dealer again, was able to speak with my salesman and he's taking care of it. Looks like he's going to give me one they have on hand and order the replacement from factory.

After some real examination, seems the screws that held on the door were broken (over tightened), the heads on 4 of the six screws broke off and that's what caused the cabinet to fall off. I checked all other cabinets and sure enough was able to find 3 more where the screw heads were broken and came out when loosening them.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:27 PM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Ok...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Ok...

Missed your comment, I will post a few pictures shorty.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Kevin View Post
I called the dealer again, was able to speak with my salesman and he's taking care of it. Looks like he's going to give me one they have on hand and order the replacement from factory.

After some real examination, seems the screws that held on the door were broken (over tightened), the heads on 4 of the six screws broke off and that's what caused the cabinet to fall off. I checked all other cabinets and sure enough was able to find 3 more where the screw heads were broken and came out when loosening them.
The reason that happens is they don't predrill for the screws, seen that in my camper, that will definatly do it.
Ken Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Y View Post
The reason that happens is they don't predrill for the screws, seen that in my camper, that will definatly do it.
Im sure you are right, and the screws are just so small. I replaced a few other bad ones on other cabinets, should be good to go!

Tags
door