Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2019, 06:57 PM   #1

Camco Portable waste tank

Has anyone used the camco 28 gallon portable waste tank. I’m just worried on grey wolf how low tanks are that won’t flow properly
Darrinlambier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:03 PM   #2

Just used one for the first time. No issues with it's use.
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:04 PM   #3

Perfect thanks for feedback
Darrinlambier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #4

Here is an option for low drains, just not very big.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-06-21-09-09-01~2.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	207885
Glampster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:45 AM   #5

I've been looking at the 28gal as well (and also have a Grey Wolf), however I've been more concerned about the size. Grey and black tanks are both 38gal, and I can't tell by looking at pics of those totes whether you can tell how full they are in order to shut the valve. Draining 28.5 gal into a 28 gal tank sounds like a nightmare to me. I don't anticipate using the tote for black water, so maybe it's not as big a deal, but still. The panel inside the camper tells me how full the grey water tank is, so could drain that it hits 1/2. The black shows empty all the time.
How do you guys using these totes determine how full they are while dumping into them? Is there a strip of clear plastic running up the side so you can tell how full they are getting (like the 5 qrt oil jugs)? Thanks, I've been struggling with getting the 36 gal, 28 gal, or 21 gal, but the thought of an overflowing tote has me leaning towards the 28 or 36.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
I've been looking at the 28gal as well (and also have a Grey Wolf), however I've been more concerned about the size. Grey and black tanks are both 38gal, and I can't tell by looking at pics of those totes whether you can tell how full they are in order to shut the valve. Draining 28.5 gal into a 28 gal tank sounds like a nightmare to me. I don't anticipate using the tote for black water, so maybe it's not as big a deal, but still. The panel inside the camper tells me how full the grey water tank is, so could drain that it hits 1/2. The black shows empty all the time.
How do you guys using these totes determine how full they are while dumping into them? Is there a strip of clear plastic running up the side so you can tell how full they are getting (like the 5 qrt oil jugs)? Thanks, I've been struggling with getting the 36 gal, 28 gal, or 21 gal, but the thought of an overflowing tote has me leaning towards the 28 or 36.
MillMitch, I have a Thetford SmartTote2 35 Gallon and it has an indicator that pops up before the tank is completely full. The indicator flag is mounted in the vent/tank rinse opening near the handle end. A word of caution here, if the flag pops up it will shut off the fill flow, but you still have the trapped water between thetank and the RV valves to deal with, so it's best to watch closely as you are dumping and you'll be ready tio shut off the flow before it is completely full. Another thing to keep in mind is that the water in those tanks gets very heavy (over 8 pounds per gallon) and the 2 wheeled tanks can be very hard to lift if you have to move it to your bumper to tow it to the dump station. I use a trailer dolly to lift mine up and can pull the dolly with the tank behind my bicycle to the dump station. Good luck on the tank ............ Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:55 PM   #7

Hi - have camco tank - purchased clear fitting to attach next to tank - allow me to see level when filling.
garkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:19 PM   #8

My Barker 4-wheel 25 (?} gallon waste tank is the largest I can haul in my SUV and still leave room for other camping essentials. 4-wheel design works well. This tote is on it's 15th season of sporadic use. Resides in my shed when not in use.

I had the little flat 15 gallon tank pictured earlier with our Coleman Bayside popup. There was a rack to hold the (empty) tank under the back of the trailer, a wonderfully handy way to transport it.

For most of 20 seasons our Memorial Day weekend camp out was on the same site in a nice Ohio State Park which was electric only. Towed the waste tank to the dump site every morning after breakfast and brought back 35 gallons of fresh water. I didn't buy the Roo to continue to use the campground showers and toilets. Full service sites seem more common these days so neither has been used the past couple of years.

-- Chuck
Old 06-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #9

Thank you both, that's good to know. Do the regular standard sewer hoses attach to the Camco tote?
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:51 PM   #10

With appropriate fittings, yes.

-- Chuck
Old 06-21-2019, 03:48 PM   #11

I agree with MillMitch in that the water is very heavy if you have to lift the tote wagon to empty it. I had a two-wheeler at one time, got rid of it ,and bought a four-wheeler with side discharge. Much easier on the back.
Yowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:03 PM   #12
rfifer

I have a tote-n-stor tank. The water level is reflected in the discharge tube at the back end of the tank. I found that gives a very good indication of how full the tank is - and it is very easy to monitor.
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #13

I rarely use the tote tank for toilet waste, but it can be done using the right fittings. My tote is smaller than the black tank to care is needed. Experience is often the best but cruel teacher.

Major use is for grey water. There's a little bobber float indicator on the vent if you look closely.

-- Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tote tank.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	207942  
Old 06-23-2019, 07:27 PM   #14

I have a 25-gallon two-wheeler. I simply watch the water level at the vent hole and quickly turn the flow off when the water level approaches full. Then I remove the hose from the trailer and lift it to drain it into the tank.

The tank is pretty heavy to lift and pull through 25 feet through gravel to the golf cart, but I'm only 74 and manage it. Might have to do something else if I get older. Our site has water and electricity but no sewer, so this is a weekly job for me. (We shower and leave solid waste at the bath house. The water includes liquid body waste and dishwashing/handwashing waste.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank