Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #21
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Good Times Ahead

We had backpacked for over 30 years before age (71/66) and a less-than-wonderful trip caught up with us in 2011. We bought a single axle 2011 FR MiniLite etc 181. It has given us five years of wonderful service, taking us to the ends of roads so we could day hike into the mountains for fishing, to lakes where we can kayak, or places where we can bicycle without dodging traffic. Sure, backpacking took us places where most people don't go, and we still do overnight backpacking trips on occasion from the trailer, but come back to a hot shower and comfortable bed. Enjoy your new trailer and the memories you will make.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #22

We bought our 2016 DBH in June. Have put ~4,500 miles on it and almost a month of camping since. I really like it. Dealer had to fix a kinked water line and I had to adjust the fridge since it wasn't lighting on propane. Otherwise it's been a lot of fun.
gargoyle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #23

I have had MH since 1979. No major problems. Like one guy said its a house on wheels. In 2012 puorchased a 2007 FR Lexington. Gave the dealer a list of things we found after a month. They spent $3000 on repairs we told them plus some they found. Have put 20000 miles since and no major problems. Always check everything before and after a trip.
dunk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #24

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay68442 View Post
I just purchased my very first RV, it's a 2016 grey wolf 26DBH and I should take delivery of it next week. As I read though some of these posts I feel like I just purchased a piece of junk. I understand that people are more likely to post out of frustration and anger when experiencing problems than they are when they are out camping having a great time and loving their trailer. Please put my mind at ease. It was a big purchase for me and I want to feel good about it.

Jason
Your experience will be just that. I will share mine.
We decided that we would have a better life if we spent time with the 5 & 6 year old grand children camping as we could build a personal relationship with them verses showing up at kid parties and one night sleep overs at our house. We are in our mid 50's, and I stress we ain't dead yet, we still go out and play.

Sept 14, bought a truck capable of towing the TT we had in mind. Jan 15, bought a 26BH similar to yours.

I am not a cheap person but research what I buy. I looked for my requirements and also shopped for the cheap. FR covers a vast variety of products and has a following that are loyal. I choose FR for that reason.

I knew going in that something could go wrong and I would have trouble as I am sort of handy but some things are out of my control. I found my rig 300 miles away at the price that would still make it ok if I had trouble and had to go to a local dealer during or after the manufacturer quit covering it.

I will be honest here, Since I was able to find a TT with all of the basic features that I required and more, for a low price, I was certain that I bought a popsicle stick product.

I have changed my outlook. I fully expected to take a bath on my purchase and now realize that I cannot get what I have price wise within 10k from other manufacturers.

Follow the basic maintenance with religion, you will be happy. This is probably the closest thing to being married you can find. I know my diamond is still out there in the ruff but for now she is ruffing it with me.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:16 PM   #25

We are on our 4th RV. First 2 were Class A. Next 2 were 5th wheels. We have had good and bad experiences with all of them but we would not trade the friendships and memories than were made in the past 10 years of RVing. It is an experience and an adventure you will not forgot or regret so disregard all the bitching you've heard (hey were RVers) and go out and have fun. Hope to see you on the road so that we can share our adventures over happy hour. Remember, RVers are the nicest people in the world and will give you the shirt off their back.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:43 PM   #26

Just remember that you are towing a home on wheels. You have a lot of delicate /sensitive things in your trailer. Drive accordingly.

What DW and I have done is get plastic storage containers that fit your cupboards and place everything inside them when traveling. This keeps everything in its place and prevents damage. It also makes emptying trailer at end of trip/season a lot easier.

Good Luck and Happy Camping
WpgCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay68442 View Post
Thank you for the replies, keep them coming. We're total noobs as well but I'm looking forward to learning the in and ours of our trailer and camping. I just booked two trips for 2016. One trip to Otter lake PA in May and 1000 islands association KOA in June. Looking to plan a few more.
I'll second the thought of taking any issues in stride. We've had minor ones pop up but our dealer has been great resolving them. On the web you only hear the tragedy, not the good stuff....unless you ask. Bottom line, I've loved every minute in my camper this summer. Was a noob at the beginning of the season. Now feel like a seasoned pro.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #28

We started three years ago with a Rockwood TT and after a year and a half we upgraded to a Rockwood 5th wheel . We enjoy camping a lot and are able to take our grandchildren with us and make some great memories . I am sure there will be some bumps in the road but that's part of life . Enjoy the memories .
Old 10-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #29

Its like a car after you drive it awhile you hear a sqeek or a raddle that you wont fixed and it take the dealer weeks to find it. I have been RVing for over 20 years and out of all my 5ers this forest river unit has been the best of all.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:21 PM   #30

Great thread...
Purchased first TT used from a neighbor and had it four years. Added a air conditioner and learned how to travel with the family. No big problems.
Traded that one in for a Nomad 3010 in 1995 and traveled the country including cross country at least three times. No big problems.
After 18 years of use, yes 18, and there was still nothing wrong with the Nomad, we traded for the Crusader listed below. The 5th wheel is also giving us great service and has been very dependable. I always look after all the systems and usually find things before they are problems. Take care of the details and you will be in good shape.
Also watching this forum will help you be successful with your RV. I learn things on this forum every day and I have been camping since 1990.

Welcome and have fun camping.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #31

I've had my 26dbh for a few weeks and love it. It isn't the most high end unit, but in my opinion, it's the best in that price range.

I had only a few minor issues off the lot, but they were mostly due to my OCD.

Enjoy your purchase and make your own opinions, don't let others sway you.

Happy camping.

Dave
Musky Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:44 AM   #32

Bought a 23 DBH six weeks ago. Have had a couple learning experiences along the way. Nothing major. One broken wire in the ceiling for furnace, which the dealer promptly took care of. We looked at lots of TTs, kept going back to this one. So happy with our TT. have used it 5 of the last 6 weekends. Plan on using it until we can not use it anymore before winter sets in.

Happy Camping!
Old 10-05-2015, 06:39 AM   #33

I've become a handy man by owning our 2 trailers (one a tag along and now a 5th wheel)
the 5th wheel has a head space which has a shelf over top. EVERY night DW has to remind me to watch my head when i get into bed.
However if i have to get up in the middle of the night to use the WR - she isnt very considerate in her warnings and I crack my forehead...

They didnt call us meat heads in the army for nothing.

we take the good with the bad and the ugly

Old 10-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #34

Love our Cedar Creek. Even when it's parked in my RV building, I go out sometimes and watch a little tv or have a cold beverage. Peaceful. And the Lazy boys are comfortable too. :-)

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #35

Got a '14 Grey Wolf 28BH; came from an '06 Coleman pop-up.

We love our trailer - just about 30 nights out this year; not counting the occasional night "camping" in the driveway, to keep the little one happy.

As has been mentioned - stuff happens - we had a problem with our door at delivery, and a piece of siding started to separate a little, after we'd had it for a few weeks. Both minor; and the dealer fixed it in a day or two. Don't sweat the little stuff, you'll go crazy.

We love ours - we get out as much as we can!

Nights Camped 2016: 44

Nights Booked 2017: 11
Nights Camped 2017: 6
OntarioFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:55 AM   #36

if you want positive stories just go to some of the rally threads like the Amana
one they just had had Rving /camping is always a great time good people good places that why we do it PS there was several tents out last weekend
and the nites were high 40's low 50's

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:44 AM   #37

All good in 2015
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:07 AM   #38

I have nothing but positive things to say about our choice to travel with our two kids when we can with an RV. Its a different experience. We have spent nights with views people spend 100x's the cost. We have our own essentially everything at our disposal. I love my own bed as do our kids. Most all of our family photos have been taken while somewhere that our RV has taken us. You didn't buy a hunk of junk, but an investment in your family. There is nothing in life that is not worth a little extra effort....so don't dig into the posts regarding your specific brand. For every 10 negative comments about said RV's here there are 100 who are quiet as they are 100% happy. if you choose to read all the negative, use the negative info to your advantage by inspecting your new unit at the dealer for all these items. Just my .02

Enjoy it most of all. Its a blast.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #39

Got our new fifth wheel 2 months ago, and have been on 2 trip so far, with another just around the corner, another around thanksgiving, and another around xmas/new-year planned, and already planning an 8000 mile road-trip for next summer.

Only one minor little issue so far, nothing urgent.

Have loved spending time in the great outdoors, with DW and the kids (two teens, one at college, and they still choose to spend family time with us "camping").

Just being able to wake up from a comfortable bed, in a real bedroom (esp. compared to our old popup), and enjoy some "home comforts", yet be able to step outside into the beautiful surroundings in our state parks or other campgrounds, and cook/eat breakfast outside, and soak up the sights and sounds around us, is priceless.

Can't wait for our next short trip, and especially looking forward to our longer trips after that, and we're getting impatient trying to plan out our epic road trip across the country
Old 10-06-2015, 08:51 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

We have had a Surveyor 263 (bumper pull) since the fall of 2008. It is still a great trailer. it tows great, and is very functional. As with most trailers, we have had a few minor problems, some fixed under warranty, and the rest fixed by me or the local trailer shop (broken brake assembly flange).

Many people get on the forums for complaints, but very few get on the forums for praise.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote