Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 07:27 AM   #1

Cherokee 285 fifthwheel

Anyone heard you should not operate your slide outs if RV is not level you could burn up the motors that run the chain drives.
When we overnight we stay hooked up not level so far no issues but a camping neighbor said they burned up an electric motor as a result of not being level.
Thoughts.
JimEastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:47 AM   #2

You mean that the motors burn up to protect the fuses?

I normally have my RV fairly level and have not had any issues with operating the slides, they do not appear to have excess loading.

It could be a problem if you put a couple hundred pounds of food in the pantry, but if the fuses are sized correctly they should protect the motors.
carbuthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuthn View Post
You mean that the motors burn up to protect the fuses?

I normally have my RV fairly level and have not had any issues with operating the slides, they do not appear to have excess loading.

It could be a problem if you put a couple hundred pounds of food in the pantry, but if the fuses are sized correctly they should protect the motors.
The guy who told me this story just said the motor burned up because of an overload on the slide out as a result of the RV not being level.

You make a good point a fuse should have blown and saved the motor unless there is no fuse to the motor.

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:25 PM   #4

If I felt that the slide was operating harder than normal I would stop about half way or sooner and let the motor and wiring cool down some.

If you can reach the motor you can put your hand on it to see if it is hotter than it should be.
carbuthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:33 PM   #5

Thanks again.

Tags
cherokee, wheel