Old 06-29-2008, 05:16 PM   #1

Cherokee 28A plus - AC/DC power issues

I just purchased 2006 Cherokee 28A plus and had some issues with my power this weekend. I had issues with my sliders not going out and in, I did not realize until today by looking at the online forums that the sliders run off of the batteries. The battery is new, so how can I verify if the charging system is working??? I checked all of the fuses and wires from front to back.

Thanks

Old 06-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #2

cae92,
Welcome to FRF.

With your TT plugged into Shore Power, the use of a multi-meter with verify the battery is being charged. The converter in your TT has an on-board charger, which should charge the battery while plugged in.
As a note, I've run across new batteries that were bad. You may want to have the battery load-tested.

Check out The 12volt Side of Life

Old 07-01-2008, 12:54 AM   #3

I found out a couple months ago. my slides will not work unless my battery has a good charge. even if you have 12 volts at the motor it may not be enough amps to start the motor. even with the trailer plugged in to the truck or land power. This motor requires a lot of amps to start and the truck line or the line from inverter will not carry the load. you can use a drill to take them out which I now keep on hand. It takes a lot of RPMs. it drained my 18volt dewalt very quickly. I am sure jumper cables will aslo work and also used a battery charger on boost. once they get started going it is not as much problem. some even recommened to run a larger wire on the truck but now just trying to keep the batter charged fully.

Good luck.
donawilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
Head Rambler

Both the posters above are correct in their writings. Be sure to check the battery connections too. With electric slides the battery power is critical. Charged battery, sufficient wire size and good connections are your friends.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #5

I had a simular problem with my 28a+. There are 2 30amp circuit breakers under the front of the trailer. Just behind the hitch A frame. If you lay on your back and follow your battery wire through the frame you'll find it. You can test the breakers with a test 12v test light. Here is a picture of the breakers

Terminal 1 is your 12v power source coming from the converter( red wire) and the black wire goes to the 7 pin connector.
Terminal 2 doesn't have a wire on it. There is a jumper plate going to terminal 3 (connecting the breakers together)
Terminal 3 is your battery connection.
Terminal 4 is your slider connection.

I'm guessing that the breaker on the left of your trailer is gone or needs to be reset. Unplug the trailer from powercord and the TV. Connect a test light to a good ground. If you have the battery connected, you should get the light to come on when you touch terminal 3. If it doesn't the battery is dead, or you didn't get a good enough ground. Once you get past that, all 4 terminals should have 12v to them. If any terminal don't have 12v then disconect positive wire from the battery. The trailer shoud have no power. Tap the breakers with the back of a screw driver( one of the breakers might be stuck) . Reconnect the battery and see if 12v has returned to all 4 terminals. If there is no power between terminal 3 and 4 then you need to replace the 30amp breaker on the left. The right breaker on my trailer had tripped and the above proceedure reset it.

Bduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #6

By the way, here is an easy way to check for 12v charging. Disconnect the battery and plug the trailer in with a powercord. Now test for 12v at terminal # 1. Actually all 4 should have 12v to them if the breakers are working.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #7

Question

I pulled my emergency trailer break pin to replace the cable that had broken. Will this cause a connection that will run down the batteries? I have 110 power but no 12v lights. I charged the batteries and a couple of days later they are discharged again.

Additonaly I checked the connections you mentioned under the "A" frame and found no continuity. Time to replace the 30 amp fuses or I'm I looking at a converter?
Old 08-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #8

If you pulled the emergency brake it activates the brakes. It will quickly discharge the battery, within an hour or so.

If your not getting any power from any of the terminals then your either doing something wrong, or your battery and 12v charging circuit are gone. No offense but do you know what you are doing with a test light. Place the clamp on a screw to the frame or some other type of good ground. Then touch each of the 4 terminals to see if there is 12v at any of the terminals.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:49 PM   #9

Last week our generator broke and the battery was drained so as a quick fix to pull in our slides i attached a jumper cable from my jeep to the camper battery and with the jeep engine running and got the slides to come in.

Tags
28a, cherokee