Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #1

Cherokee Arctic Wolf 305ML6 Fifth Wheel Reviews

My wife and I are considering purchasing this RV so we can have better insulation for camping in cold weather as well as hot climates. We love the layout and features. Our main disappointment is the quality of the cabinetry. The shelving in the pantry is very flimsy so I am sure they will need reinforcing to ensure they are safe for canned goods or small appliances. I also saw that the ductwork in the storage area is not insulated which surprises me since they claim the underbelly is supposed to be heated.

This would be our first fifth wheel since they are generally so much heavier than a travel trailer and I would have to get a new hitch for the bed. I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 with a diesel engine with a maximum towing capability of 11,000 pounds.

Thanks for your help.
ambonito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:40 PM   #2

We bought ours back in June or July. Really liked the rear kitchen layout as well. Only problems we’ve had are trim coming loose and the cables for the tv was wired in backwards. I pull mine with a F350 and it pulls very well. Only thing I wish we had more of is storage. Not a lot on this unit. Really go over it with a sharp eye. We just got a recall notice for ours for the awning bolts not being long enough. So it will be going to the shop next week for that and the rear a/c cycling off for about 15 seconds and then comes back on. But the unit is still blowing cold. And doesn’t do it all the time. Also if you can get them to put 30# cylinders on it if it has 20#. The furnace works really well and drains the 20# pretty quick. I will be changing mine out before heading to Colorado next fall.
Two dogs and us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:12 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply

We saw another thread saying the cabinets were not good quality and that the tanks should be larger. We used to heat our camper with ceramic heaters but thought we needed to keep the underbelly warm. Plus, I learned recently that the 20 lb tanks that you exchange at many stores only have 15 pounds of fuel in them!! Then you also have to be sure they are not old tanks.

Good luck with the repairs. We're also looking at a Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS travel trailer.
ambonito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambonito View Post
We saw another thread saying the cabinets were not good quality and that the tanks should be larger. We used to heat our camper with ceramic heaters but thought we needed to keep the underbelly warm. Plus, I learned recently that the 20 lb tanks that you exchange at many stores only have 15 pounds of fuel in them!! Then you also have to be sure they are not old tanks.

Good luck with the repairs. We're also looking at a Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS travel trailer.
We have this fifth wheel since May, the awning broke in October, trying to find someone local to fix has been a hassle. Got the recall notice earlier this month and located an FR authorized shop but slow going on getting when we can get it repaired.
Camping Christmas to New year's in KS temps are teens at night and we have an issue with water no getting to kitchen and no hot water, cold water at bathroom only. coach net echnical services are looking for resolution, this service came with purchase of our RV for one year.
Saw some other posts on this forum regarding the artic packages, we have the Artic Wolf 305 ML6 with extreme weather package.
Other than this issue we love it for staying at the lake a couple weeks at a time.
Buchanan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchanan99 View Post
Saw some other posts on this forum regarding the artic packages, we have the Artic Wolf 305 ML6 with extreme weather package.
Just realize, this so-called Extreme Weather package is just marketing BS.
Your trailer is at best, a 3 season camper. It isn't equipped for truly cold temps without a lot of prep work.
Your water lines could be frozen.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Your trailer is at best, a 3 season camper. It isn't equipped for truly cold temps without a lot of prep work.
Im not bashing the artic wolf line because its in line with a lot of other forest river products but artic wolf is the "brand" or line name it has nothing to do with how well the trailer does in cold or hot weather.

im sure in cold weather you will have the typical issues and in hot weather without 2 ac units or an upgraded larger ac you will prob have issues just like a lot of other forest river lines.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:14 PM   #7

My Wife and I have one have had it since July we love the living room so far it has less storage but now we just don’t bring all that stuff anymore and when it’s over 100 out the one ac don’t cut it
wwalker2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwalker2984 View Post
My Wife and I have one have had it since July we love the living room so far it has less storage but now we just don’t bring all that stuff anymore and when it’s over 100 out the one ac don’t cut it
We have two ac units and yes is a must here in ks, where sometimes a tree for shade is a prime spot.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Yeah I think that is the reason, although my husband says it is warm in the under belly. Tomorrow is up to 50 plan on taking a heat lamp to the low drain spot tonight and see how it goes tomorrow.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #10

Also try leaving the doors open on the inside where there’s water lines coming up through the floor like the kitchen sink and bathroom sink. The heat inside will keep them from freezing as well.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two dogs and us View Post
Also try leaving the doors open on the inside where there’s water lines coming up through the floor like the kitchen sink and bathroom sink. The heat inside will keep them from freezing as well.
It was frozen going to kitchen and water heater, thawed this morning no burst lines and we have hot water best outcome. Bathroom didn't lose cold water just couldn't get hot water.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:40 PM   #12

Quote:
It was frozen going to kitchen and water heater, thawed this morning no burst lines and we have hot water best outcome. Bathroom didn't lose cold water just couldn't get hot water.
We had two supplement heaters running to cut propane use. Will be using the furnace omly when it drops below 40 to keep belly warmer.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #13

Quote:
We had two supplement heaters running to cut propane use. Will be using the furnace omly when it drops below 40 to keep belly warmer.
Kept kitchen sink dripping cold and bathroom dripping hot through the night heat lamp underneath and no frozen water lines. Down in teens over night and 19 as of this posting, staying toasty inside.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Kept kitchen sink dripping cold and bathroom dripping hot through the night heat lamp underneath and no frozen water lines. Down in teens over night and 19 as of this posting, staying toasty inside.
Glad to hear y’all have it worked out. Sometimes you have to see what works for ya. Glad to hear there wasn’t any serious problems with the waterlines.
Happy Trails to ya.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two dogs and us View Post
Glad to hear y’all have it worked out. Sometimes you have to see what works for ya. Glad to hear there wasn’t any serious problems with the waterlines.
Happy Trails to ya.
First timers so it is all a learning curve.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #16

305ML6 - Great design, really poor quality

I love the interior design of our camper and it pulls, as advertised, very well with my F-150 3.5. This is my fourth camper and my third forest river. This camper is by far the poorest quality, and most expensive, RV I have owned. I understand that when you camp, things go wrong, can break, etc. but this is ridiculous. Had this two years and here is my list: Awning and hardward broke off the camper and left us, out of state, with a twisted mess of metal. To FR's credit, this was a defect and they replaced and fixed it (taken months but it got done). All four of the kitchen chairs literally fell apart, or came apart with just road wear. I dont think we even sat in them, and the legs just twisted away, and/or legs broke. All four! We are not big people and frankly were too afraid to sit on them. Glass inserts in several cabinet door have fallen out. Fresh water tank leaks somewhere, has been winterized properly so not sure the source yet, can't afford to take it in yet to the dealer. Curtain hardware is very brittle and several have broken, inside trim pulling away from slides, outside trim pieces over the tires fall off as I drive, outside trim has popped apart from the body and required repair. Outside shower lock broken and had to be replaced. Inside hower mount fell off, and the shower doors are rediculously unable to stay on. Every time the awning is used, it burns out the fuse so i have a box of 15 amp fuses I carry. Not a good quality camper.
Pbarnes100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
305, cherokee, fifth wheel, wheel