Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2018, 08:20 AM   #1

Cherokee entry door sticks

I have a 27’ Cherokee travel trailer manufactured in 2016. The entry door will not close. The door strikes the door frame on the mid section and top corner preventing the door from closing. This problem is worse when the side of the trailer is in the sun and the trailer heats up and the side expands.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem or have any ideas on how to remedy it?
Frog1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:30 AM   #2

Yes. This is happening to mine as well. I thought that I was going crazy. Wife said it was because we weren’t level... I never factored in the heat.
Sarjent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:34 AM   #3

Thanks Sarjent. Have you found a solution?
Frog1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #4

I have not sadly. Though I haven’t put any effort into it
Old 09-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #5

I have the same problem with my 18 274dbh. Main door sticks but the bathroom one doesn’t pretty much any time it’s in the sun. I still have a a while on the warranty and plan to bring it up, not expecting much tho. Mine sticks on the bottom corner away from the hinges so I’ll probably pull it off and try to fix it myself.
BdavidS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdavidS84 View Post
I have the same problem with my 18 274dbh. Main door sticks but the bathroom one doesn’t pretty much any time it’s in the sun. I still have a a while on the warranty and plan to bring it up, not expecting much tho. Mine sticks on the bottom corner away from the hinges so I’ll probably pull it off and try to fix it myself.

Not to derail but I have an ‘18 274DBH as well. Does your bedroom door also not close correctly? On mine, the one closest to the main entry door is off every time we go out.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarjent View Post
Not to derail but I have an ‘18 274DBH as well. Does your bedroom door also not close correctly? On mine, the one closest to the main entry door is off every time we go out.

I haven’t had an issue with the bedroom doors but I did have an issue with the bathroom door not latching. Just had to move the striker plate a little and chisel away the extra.
BdavidS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #8

I had a 26DBH that the doors always stuck unless it was 100% level........which took some doing.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:29 AM   #9

I had real problems with the door on my 20RDSE, including the heat expansion issue.

Took it to my dealer (really, for other issues), and they did a bunch of stuff - now it's like butter. Opens better than my new trailer's door.

Should probably take the new one to that dealer...lol.
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:41 PM   #10

Had this exact same problem that started a week out of a 6 week trip. I'm pretty anal about leveling so pretty sure that wasn't it. Found that if I pushed the top of the door in while holding the middle I could at least get it to close. Finally got home and took it to the dealer (CW Lowell, AR) and they warrantee replaced the entire door and frame. Works great now. They told us that this was a common problem.
GerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:48 AM   #11

Im actually surprised I don't have this issue, especially since I store it for months on an Unleveled spot. I wonder if it happens for those who over torque the stabilizer jacks? Not pointing fingers or even suggesting you guys are, just saying it does happen.

My uncle had this exact issue (Maybe not as severe, since his door would close), but only when setup/camped, otherwise the door closed just fine. In his case, he was over cranking on his front stabilizers (If I remember correctly). It didn't take much for his travel trailer to get out of wack. He didn't like that he had more movement in trailer when releasing pressure on the stabilizers, but the door would open/close much easier.
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, door