Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #1

Cherokee lite rear hitch?

I'm looking at adding a rear hitch to a 2007 Cherokee lite 28a. This would be for towing a jet ski trailer or a place to put one of those "carryall" platforms to hold a cooler. I know i don't need a lot of trailer weight back there but the jet ski trailer is very lite with less than 40 lb tongue weight same as a cooler of drinks.

so the question is does anybody make one? if not I thought I would make one using a spare 2inch receiver hitch extending the mounts to the trailer "I" frame then for some more support run a brace connecting the receiver hitch under the black water tank to the "I" frame.

thanks cd
Old 01-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Site Team

I seem to remember seeing one somewhere but can't find it now. My cousin did just what you're suggesting. He took a 2" receiver tube and some channel and made one for his. Depending on your frame it'd be easy enough to do. You might want ot take a good look at that frame before you start to make sure it'll stand up to several hundred pounds of weight bouncing down the road.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #3

I went to the junkyard and pick one up for $5.00, it was a 2" receiver.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. now for a tough question, I'm going to use a chop saw to make a clean cut in the receiver hitch about a foot on each side from the center point. To reinforce this would you use, as an extender a piece of square tubing to go inside the original hitch or one that slips on the out side. Heck both inside and out, welding inplace the inside tube and the outside tube to the receiver. Would you use the bolt pattern on the hitch by drilling mounting holes in the trailer frame or weld the hitch on.
Thanks for the responses. cd
Old 01-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattle_empire View Post
I'm looking at adding a rear hitch to a 2007 Cherokee lite 28a. This would be for towing a jet ski trailer or a place to put one of those "carryall" platforms to hold a cooler. I know i don't need a lot of trailer weight back there but the jet ski trailer is very lite with less than 40 lb tongue weight same as a cooler of drinks.

so the question is does anybody make one? if not I thought I would make one using a spare 2inch receiver hitch extending the mounts to the trailer "I" frame then for some more support run a brace connecting the receiver hitch under the black water tank to the "I" frame.

thanks cd

Are going to have a TV a TT and a secondary trailer hooked up behind the TT at the same time for jet ski, I guess this would be known as a double in 18 wheeler terms? I understand the carryall thing.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #6

yes, the TV with the TT and a second trailer like a jet ski trailer {double trailer set up}. I know many states don't allow this type of set up but I will only be towing like this to local lakes in Texas. for good measure I may put on a spare sway control on the second trailer hitch.
Thanks cd
Old 01-25-2009, 08:57 AM   #7

Wow, how about some pic when you get it all together I would like to see it thanks.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:29 AM   #8

Hey guys I figured you will get a kick out of this. The proper term for this application is tandem. I have a custom hitch on the back of my 285b+ and tow about 6500lbs behind it. It took a lot of work and some scary moment and long slow trips to get it all worked out but now I can run 70 and no issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1185.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	24848   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1184.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	24849  
Lionhart75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Looks like your well over the gross of your tv to me.
So no kick for me

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #10

Don't judge a book by its cover. Like I stated this has been a very long process. I've put this rig on cert cat scales and depending on how it is loaded the numbers work. What alot of people don't even realize is with a 35' toyhauler full gvt you can be over combined gvt in a heart beat.
Lionhart75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #11

Great mod
brookside is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee