Old 05-12-2014, 12:26 AM   #1

Cherokee or Grey Wolf

Considering a new trailer and we have it narrowed down to a Cherokee 274DBH, Grey Wolf 26DBH and the Grey Wolf 26c. Anyone have any experience with any of these, good or bad? Lots of info on the first two but can't find much on the 26c, which of course is the one my wife likes most. We've been debating back and forth so thanks for any help/tips.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:50 AM   #2

I own a 2014 grey wolf 26dbh ( limited package with the gel coat sdie walls). I pretty well got every option on it. I really like it. the 26c is anew model for 2014 so you wont find very much info yet. as for cherokee versus grey wolf. cherokee has a few more options then greywolf. larger furnace standard. option for heated holding tanks, and a few other things. ( i have enclosed and insulated tanks) I think cherokee come with 15" rims and tires , grey wolf comes with 14". double check that, 15" would have been nice, more options for getting higher load range tires. I had the dealer upgrade my tires from 205/75/14 to 215/75/14 to get more capacity. get a slide topper for any slide outs. as for the bunks be aware that they are rated for 150lbs per bunk. ( I still have to reinforce that so they can hold more, i have been up on the top bunk and it seems really solid so I think its a liability thing. oh i'm not 150 lol 225lbs)

ask any specific questions and I can try and answer them. good luck all are nice floor plans

Old 05-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #3

Thanks. My wifes only real concern with the 26DBH is the leg room between the couch and the end of the kitchen peninsula(I don't think it's an issue but both my sons are over 6ft and like to stretch out). A concern with the 26c is no opening windows on the door side. How have you found the cross ventilation on warm days on your 26DBH? All the ones we are looking at have the Limited package. We don't winter camp or camp when it's too cold but do you find the furnace in the Grey wolf to be adequate?
Also just noticed the specs for the Cherokee in the brochure are not even close to the ones on their online specs. Depending which are right could help influence our decision.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #4

I havent had it that long to see how the cross ventilation is. it should be pretty good though with the window in the kitchen and the door.

as for the furnace it seemed to do really well last weekend. it went down to 7celsius at night and the furnace didnt run very much.

our trailer came to us at 5998 lbs dry. imo the gel coat sides are well worth the cost. not sure if you are ordering your trailer our picking from an in stock model.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #5

My wife really likes the 26c the more she looks at it. The trailer I have now has the fiberglass sides and the previous two I owned had the aluminum sides. IMO I like the looks of the fiberglass better but had no problems with and didn't mind the aluminum either.
The ones we are looking at are all in dealer stock here. But if we can't decide soon we may be ordering one. lol
I guess if we go with the 26c and it gets too warm we could always run the air conditioning, it's just that we enjoy some fresh air and a nice breeze at night.
How do these trailers tow? My TV is a Lincoln Navigator 5.4L with a tow package(8800lbs), air bag suspension, and Prodigy P3 brake controller.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #6

I think if you open both doors you will get a nice breeze through the trailer. I tow with a chrysler aspen with the 5.7l hemi. power wise I couldnt be happier. I put timbrens on the back and have a blue ox sway pro hitch. the trailer catches alot of air and you feel it. I dont get sway but I get pushed a bit. (we have had some good crosswinds lately) i think thats probably the start of sway but the hitch stops it. thats the design of 4 point sway control hitches. you get the initial and then it stops. I am looking into the propride 3p to get rid of any movement.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #7

I didn't really finish my post. So I am happy with how it tows. It is different then my old trailer. My old trailer (roo 233s) had a flatter front so the engine worked a little harder. New one is sloped and seems to pull a lot better. Only difference I find is the wind hits it more. It's not bad it's just more noticeable. I can drive 60-65 mph no problems no swaying. Typically one hand on the wheel. If a big vehicle or transport truck is coming by me I get 2 hands on the wheel. Did that with he old one too. I don't like surprises. I'm the type of person that If there is something out there that can make it tow even better I will get it. That's why I am eventually going to get a propride 3p.

Tags
cherokee, grey wolf

« Rookie | First trip »