Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2009, 01:12 AM   #1

cherokee t27v tt info (pro or con)

It took a while to find this site but I'm glad we did. We are seriusly looking at a Grey Wolf t27v (2010) to be towed with 07 Avalanche 4x4, 5.3 v-8,373 gears. Would like to hear from other owners or anyone about this trailer. No salespeople please. Just the good guys. Also interested in what this trailer would sell for in U.S. (just in case this stupid dollar thing comes around to near par any time soon). Never mind the rest of the world. I like you guys and am not afraid to deal with you if I can afford it. Like many of you seem to be, we are on a fixed income as pensioners. Thanks for your help.....any and all is greatfully accepted. the Old Guys
old guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #2

we have a 2008 27t greywolf and we love it! i pull ours with a 07 f150 5.4l 3.73 gears and it pulls fine. i drive truck for a living so take that for what it is worth. i think you will enjoy this trailer alot
bgilsrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #3

Thumbs down

bgilsrud.....thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think there were no cherokee owners out there. The trailer we are looking at is a v-nose but I can't imagine it would make a great deal of difference, other than a bit heavier tongue weight. That should be taken care of by using the proper wd hitch. It,s great to know you have no problems towing as our tow vehicles seem about equally matched except mine may be a bit better by virtue of being a Chev product (built in Mexico, unfortunately). That's what the Chevy owners tell me anyway. Once again thanks for the input. it is greatly appreciated.......Old Guys.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #4

Hello we own a 32B and tow it with our 02V-10 Excursion with 4.30 gears. we previously had an 05 Cherokee Lite 28A that we towed with a 97 Dodge conv. van with a 5.9L and 3.90 gear, towed exceptionally well. we love the Cherokee line. excellent value.

Good luck!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #5

Dodge Guy
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you enjoy your Cherokee. We really like the basic layout of the 27v and except that it could use another window on the door side and a passthrough door on the other side it looks like it could be the one for us. There is an issue with a quite heavy hitch weight as it is a front kitchen model but we should be able to overcome that with a good hitch and judicious loading when travelling. From what I am hearing these units tow acceptably so if we can find a way to settle the issues with the low Canadian dollar and having to pay sales tax twice, it looks like this may be the one we settle on. I hope so because even my wife likes this one. Thanks again for your input it's greatly appreciated.....Old Guys
Old 11-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #6

Don't know where you live but am assuming somewhere in Canada and contemplating a trailer purchase in the U.S. If so, you should not have to pay sales tax twice. Advise your U.S. dealer that you are exporting to Canada and the state/federal sales taxes should be waived. However, at the border (again, assuming that you have all the paper-work properly completed) you will have to pay the appropriate GST/PST or (HST depending on where you live) and then get the new unit inspected (Canadian Tire is the usual approved inspection facility) and pay the inspection fee. That's it.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #7

VTX AL......You are correct. S.W. Ontario Canada and I thought that was how it worked too but apparently some places like Indiana, for one require purchasers from states with no reciprocal treaty with Indiana or from foreign countries to pay the state sales tax at time of purchase. Indiana has a 7% sales tax which, when coupled with our 5% gst and 8% pst, means I would have to pay 20 cents extra on every dollar plus the exchange rates and extra tax on the larger Canadian amount. The funny thing is if the dollar value is close enough it still might pay, plus I end up with a nice round trip to Indiana and back. I blame no one but our respective governments and hopefully it will all work out. I hope so. Nice to hear from you...appreciate it...Old Guys
Old 11-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #8

EVen with all that it might still be cheaper than buying in canada? Or is it not available in canada for purchase?
I love my cherokee but it is not a v nose.
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

You'll have to pay the GST/PST regardless whether it's purchased in the U.S. or Canada so that's not part of the decision. I asked RV Direct that specific question of state sales tax and was told there'd be no Indiana sales tax when the trailer is being exported to Canada. I paid no state tax when I bought a trailer from RV Wholesalers in Ohio in 2007.

You'll find lots of dealers in the U.S that sell for 30 - 35% of the MSRP compared to Canadian dealers that think 10 - 15% off MSRP is a steal. Even with the Canadian dollar at $0.94 U.S., you'll be thousands ahead of buying it in Ontario.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #10

We bought our Cherokee 295 Wolfpack TH in the US a couple of years ago and brought it back to Canada. As VTX Al says, as long as you have your paperwork in order, it isn't a hassle to bring it back across. We ended up ordering our trailer with all the options we wanted from a dealer in Iowa and drove back to pick it up once they took delivery. We didn't pay any state sales tax in Iowa, but I did quite a bit of research about the different states and their tax laws. They varied considerably and I know there were some of them that we would have had to pay the state taxes as well as our Canadian taxes.

For us, it was a considerable savings, even considering the poorer exchange on the Canadian dollar at that time and the cost of travelling back to get the trailer. If I recall correctly, the savings were over $10,000 compared to trying to buy one in BC. Friends of ours just bought a new trailer out of Utah and they saved over $6,000 on the identical trailer they'd been looking at in Vancouver.

If you have the time to travel to pick up the trailer, I recommend looking seriously at buying remotely. Of course, there is always a risk if you have problems with the unit and need any dealer servicing.
Al_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:23 AM   #11

Thanks guys (and Ladies). Yes this unit is available in Canada. It was seeing one at a dealer about eighty miles away that started us on this quest about 3 1/2 weeks ago. It was my brother who told us about the potential savings by buying in the U.S.. He bought a trailer in nearby Ohio 2 yrs. ago (paying no state taxes). It was only when we started to look in the states that we discovered the differences in state tax laws but as noted by others previously in this post it still may be to our advantage to purchase there. The service issue may be a problem as we have already been told by Canadian dealers that they would take care of their own customers before they would even look at our problems. Mind you, Forest River's warranty is only one year with a one year extension and the rest is covered by various manufacturers warranty. They seem to sell a lot of R.V's. so there can't be that many problems. It seems like this could be the one for us if we can swing the financial end of it. Thanks again for all the help. We are carefully digesting it all and are sure it will help with our struggle. Thank you and keep it coming we sure do appreciate it.
Old guys
Old 11-22-2009, 10:59 PM   #12

Well it looks like we may have made our decision. We should find out this week if the deal goes or not. After all this it appears that it won't be the Grey Wolf 27v but instead it will be it's twin sister the V-cross 27v. We'll let you know how it works out. Thanks for all the help..........Old Guys
Old 11-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #13

Well we did it. We are now the proud new owners of a Forest River V-Cross 27VFK. Crossing the border was no problem, as a matter of fact the customs agent couldn't have been nicer. All we need now is a safety inspection and provincial registration and we are ready to camp. Wish it was a bit warmer but thats okay. We need to reign in our spending to be able to afford some travel time anyway. Thanks for all the help.....Old Guys

Tags
cherokee