Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2019, 07:05 AM   #1

City water hookup and the water pump

So today will be my first time staying at a place with full hookups. I have over a 100 nights in the camper in the last 2 1/2 years, but we've always boon docked it.
My question is if I'm using the water hookup and not my fresh water tank do I still need to turn on the water pump to supply water?
I'm not sure if the water hookup provides enough pressure to supply toilet and sinks I've never used it. Is the water pump only for the fresh holding tank?
Bedlinedf250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlinedf250 View Post
So today will be my first time staying at a place with full hookups. I have over a 100 nights in the camper in the last 2 1/2 years, but we've always boon docked it.
My question is if I'm using the water hookup and not my fresh water tank do I still need to turn on the water pump to supply water?
I'm not sure if the water hookup provides enough pressure to supply toilet and sinks I've never used it. Is the water pump only for the fresh holding tank?
Water pump is only for freshwater tank. Water hookup will have its own pressure to move through the plumbing. Think of your house , same thing.
You might want to invest in a water pressure gauge to limit the pressure coming from the hookup. Just a safety feature
OburgOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:39 AM   #3
Site Team

You do not need water pump if you have a hose connected from RV to a faucet.
The hose (city water) will usually have more pressure than the pump.
Pump is only for using water from you fresh tank.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:41 AM   #4

To answer your question No you don't have to use the pump also. When you hook up to city water the water pressures closed the output check valve on the pump and directs water to all your potable water lines. Most city connections provide more pressure then your pump will that is the reason for the pressure regulator on the city water, I have the adjustable regulator and set mine at 40psi more then enough pressure.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:55 AM   #5

Highly suggest using the pressure regulator inline from faucet to City Water connection. And bleed off that air at the hot water heater. Full hookups is nice for a change every now and then. Most will say do not run pump when hooked up to city water. I agree with most.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #6

No pump needed

As discussed before: a water pressure regulator is mandatory on city water. I put it on a 90 degree elbow at the trailer hookup so I have the full pressure (flow) available to the regulator/trailer. The plumbing in your trailer is setup for the ~30-50 psi range and city water can go up to 100 psi.

You will love using the toilet at night without the BRRRRRrrrrrrr noise.

If you notice your fresh water tank filling up you have a check valve issue and your fresh water tank is being back filled from the city water connection. Sometimes turning the city water off and on a few times might reset it otherwise it is in your water pump or an inline check valve that will need attention.

I always turn off the city water hydrant if I am going to be gone a while, if you pop a leak, it is best not to let it run while you are gone and return to a big mess.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:02 PM   #7

I put my regulator at the faucet. No need to have the hose having full city pressure.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:39 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately I didn't remember to check by the time I lost service. Anyways I had forgot my hose, and didn't notice until I was setting up the camper. Not sure where it had gone being that I've never used it who knows maybe I left it on the counter when I bought it. Was kind of annoying because I was so happy to use the hook ups. I did have a pressure regulator and a filter though and no hose. I'm just glad I'm so used to not having water connected it wasn't a big deal.
Thanks again!!
Bedlinedf250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Grandpa View Post
... I always turn off the city water hydrant if I am going to be gone a while, if you pop a leak, it is best not to let it run while you are gone and return to a big mess.
This is the most important suggestion in the thread. Should be yet another sticker from the factory for this (Turn off city water connection/pressure before leaving camper unattended). Ever see a camper pouring water from its underbelly? I always turn off city water when I leave camper, sometimes feeling its unnecessary, until I saw a camping neighbor "watering the lawn" around his campsite.
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city water, pump, water, water pump