Old 10-03-2016, 07:19 AM   #1
Click sound before heat kicks on - 2014 Forest River

I recently purchased a 2014 Forest River 294BH. This weekend we turned on the heat. We noticed a clicking sound before the heat turned on. That clicking sound continued for about 30 seconds after the heat was on. It sounds like it's coming from the AC unit area. The camper was plugged in to electric. I didn't sound like it does when you're trying to light the stove. And the clicks weren't in the same repetitive loop.

What could this be? Everything seems to work, but it woke us up several times in the middle of the night so I just wanted to make sure it's all good.

jmwebguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:59 AM   #2
what you are describing sounds to me like the spark ignition on the furnace.

Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2006 F350 6.0
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:07 AM   #3
Site Team
The furnace uses a direct spark ignition (DSI) vs the old pilot light. When heat is called for, the gas valve opens and the electronic igniter generates a spark to light the furnace. Much like the igniter on a gas grill Normal operation.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
Since the OP said the sound seems to be coming from the A/C unit, my guess is a relay in the control at the A/C unit.

Some of these units with Dometic digital thermostats have relays in the A/C that work in conjunction with the furnace to provide A/C fan when the furnace runs. It could possibly be that.

I wouldn't think it would be so loud it would wake you from a sleep though??
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel
Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 42
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:53 AM   #5
Head Rambler
Like 5Picker said, there are relays in the A/C control box. With the digital thermostat/control box, there's a relay for the furnace and a couple for the blower.

The furnace relay would click each time the t-stat calls for heat and the one for the A/C blower would also click if the fan is set to either hi or low. However they shouldn't be clicking more than once each time stat calls for heat.

There have been reports of this before and it wound up being a problem with the control box.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is online now   Reply With Quote

2014, forest river