Old 01-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
matt, if you have an enclosed underbelly on your Cherokee with the duct work of your gas furnace running under the floor, running the furnace will help keep that area warm....just in case you have pipes under the floor. That would also help any residual water in the waste tanks from freezing. I know that in my SV 263, it is hard to completely drain the tanks.
Don't know how accurate this is, but the mechanics at the dealership where we bought our Surveyor said that unless they are full, it will do no damage if the contents of the fresh, gray and black tanks freeze.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Don't know how accurate this is, but the mechanics at the dealership where we bought our Surveyor said that unless they are full, it will do no damage if the contents of the fresh, gray and black tanks freeze.

That is true because there is plenty of room for ice to expand in the tanks whereas in the lines there is little room which can cause them to burst, particularly at joints. So don't worry too much if there is a small amount of water in your tanks. It won't hurt them.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 AM   #13
Head Rambler

Another note about the pipes in the enclosed underbelly. Our Surveyor uses the heat from the furnace duct to keep the pipes in the underbelly from freezing so adding a space heater inside the unit won't help there, you actually have to run the furnace to heat that area. I keep ours set on about 45-50ļ to prevent anything from freezing. It does use a good bit of propane but the cost of freezing pipes and other things would be much more expensive.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #14

Thanks again for all the information and suggestions. So far so good...I did leave most of the faucets open so I don't think there is an issue there....the oil radiator heater has been doing a great job of keeping the inside of the camper warm...the furnace did or course turn out some major heat when I had it on....but electricity is much cheaper than the propane!!!!!!!!!!!

2003 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4
Super Chips Programer
2005 Cherokee 28A
1 Wife
1 Kid and counting
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #15

One last update...thanks again for all the information. The weather has warmed back up here in the south and I have gone over the entire unit and tested the water pump and everything else and I am happy to report that all is well and working! ( I did have to replace a fuse....LOL)

Thanks again fellas!

2003 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4
Super Chips Programer
2005 Cherokee 28A
1 Wife
1 Kid and counting
matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee