Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2016, 04:38 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVJR View Post
Not a toy hauler. Bedroom in front, couch and dinette in slide out, and bath in back. 62xx Dry weight, 10080 GVW. A little bigger than we wanted, but we really liked the layout.
Are you sure of that GVW? I found two online brochures that list the GVWR at 7680 lbs. This would be consistent with the total load rating of the 205/75-15 C tires which is 7280. Once you subtract the published tongue weight of 680 lbs, total weight on tires would be 7000 lbs.

If the tires are original from 2006 they are way to old to be safe.
__________________

__________________

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2013 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:20 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Saugus,Ma.
Posts: 11
Just went out to verify weights. VIN sticker inside shows UVW 6210 GVW 10840. Sticker on outside of trailer shows GAWR 5080 Per axle. Tire info is hard to read, but I can see 65psi, wheel size 15 x 6, and tire size ST225xx, rest is faded out. Agree that tires are too old. I missed it, going on assumption that tires were correct on unit, and my ignorance of the usable lifespan of trailer tires. ( Never thought to check date codes ) Now I read the trailer tire failure stories, and almost across the board bad reviews, and not sure what I am going to replace them with. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
JVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #13
Usually Confused Member
 
emm-dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,208
FR "de-rated" the GAWR to 5,080 to match the weight rating of the original tires (2,540 x 2). They do that a lot. The axle probably has a sticker somewhere on it showing 5,200 pounds. The GAWR is the lower of the axle mfgr rating or the tire rating.

You can lower the rating with less hefty tires but you cannot raise the rating above the placard weight by putting heavier duty tires on it. Only the manufacturer can do that.
__________________
At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Saugus,Ma.
Posts: 11
update to op

Answer from FR that typically, ST205 mounts on 5 lug, and ST225 on 6 lug wheels. This, combined with some other posts, and other trailer forums had me questioning the axle ratings. I got under there today, and both axles are tagged 3500 lb max. I have forwarded tis to FR, along with pictures of both weight decals on trailer. Two 3500 axles don't add up to their 10840 GVW, or 5040 per axle. This probably explains the confusion of correct tires and wheels. They are right for the axles, which are wrong on the trailer. Waiting for response from FR, and will update progress.
__________________
JVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #15
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVJR View Post
Answer from FR that typically, ST205 mounts on 5 lug, and ST225 on 6 lug wheels. This, combined with some other posts, and other trailer forums had me questioning the axle ratings. I got under there today, and both axles are tagged 3500 lb max. I have forwarded tis to FR, along with pictures of both weight decals on trailer. Two 3500 axles don't add up to their 10840 GVW, or 5040 per axle. This probably explains the confusion of correct tires and wheels. They are right for the axles, which are wrong on the trailer. Waiting for response from FR, and will update progress.
If in fact the axles are only rated for 3500 # but the GVW is 10,840 then I could see a recall might be in order. Be sure to cleect VIN and all tire DOT serials. Get a picture of your vehicle certification / tire placard label too.

You need to file a complaint with NHTSA to alert them of the problem of overloaded axles based on certification label.
__________________
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety. RVTireSafety.NET
Note the new address .NET Please copy & paste the URL the forum has problems with the direct link

Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:53 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Saugus,Ma.
Posts: 11
Thanks for the input. The tags read 3500 max. I looked up the wheel seal number that I replaced last year, and it crosses back to a 3500 lb axle, and #84 spindle.
I have filed a complaint with NHTSA. However, it was when I thought it was a tire/wheel issue. I called them today to update, but it has to be done in print form and mailed. ( working on that ). The axle tag photos are hard to read, but possible. I have not taken them off of the axle, as they are sealed and I don't want to tamper with them. The contact I have been dealing with at FR is away, and I don't expect to hear from him until next week. I will continue to update as I get answers.
__________________
JVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #17
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVJR View Post
Thanks for the input. The tags read 3500 max. I looked up the wheel seal number that I replaced last year, and it crosses back to a 3500 lb axle, and #84 spindle.
I have filed a complaint with NHTSA. However, it was when I thought it was a tire/wheel issue. I called them today to update, but it has to be done in print form and mailed. ( working on that ). The axle tag photos are hard to read, but possible. I have not taken them off of the axle, as they are sealed and I don't want to tamper with them. The contact I have been dealing with at FR is away, and I don't expect to hear from him until next week. I will continue to update as I get answers.

To be clear, Your trailer has two axles marked for 3,500#
You cannot read the GAWR on the certification lable/tire placard on side of the RV. Do you have any other documentation on the GAWR or GVWR of the RV?
What is the "max load" number on the side of the tires?
Tire Size and tire DOT serial
__________________
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety. RVTireSafety.NET
Note the new address .NET Please copy & paste the URL the forum has problems with the direct link

Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Saugus,Ma.
Posts: 11
Yes, axle tags show 3500 max
Certification decal hard to read, but I can see GAWR 5080 per axle, tire sise ST225/75R15?D at 65 psi on 15X6 wheels
Tures on trailer are ST205/75R15C Max load 1820 at 50 PSI on 15X5 wheels.
Decal with VIN inside trailer shows GVW 10840
DOT on tires 90 UL H Date looks like 1005
The confusion started while tire shopping, and realized wrong tires on unit. Further complicated as I started looking into things and found 3500 axles. It seems to me that the tires are right for the axles, which are wrong for this trailer. I have sent pictures of all this info to FR and I am waiting for their response. I understand needing to buy tires as they are obviously a wear item ,but, I feel they should be responsible for putting a safe trailer on the road. I bought this trailer used, and from it's condition, I don't think it was towed very many miles. Probably why no one found this earlier.
Thank You for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside Decal.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	117728   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	117729  
__________________
JVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Saugus,Ma.
Posts: 11
A little over a week ago, I e-mailed FR again to ask what they are going to do to repair my trailer. No response. I did however hear from the sales manager of the dealership I bought from. In a conversation with him, and his service mgr. they agree this trailer was built with the wrong axles. I have filed a complaint with NHTSA, and am considering legal options. Has anyone had any experience going this route? Not looking to score off of this, I only want trailer to actually be capable of the specs they sold. Thanks for any input.
__________________
JVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #20
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVJR View Post
A little over a week ago, I e-mailed FR again to ask what they are going to do to repair my trailer. No response. I did however hear from the sales manager of the dealership I bought from. In a conversation with him, and his service mgr. they agree this trailer was built with the wrong axles. I have filed a complaint with NHTSA, and am considering legal options. Has anyone had any experience going this route? Not looking to score off of this, I only want trailer to actually be capable of the specs they sold. Thanks for any input.

Your certification label says 5080 axles ( GAWR)and you got 3500# axles.
Seems pretty clear to me that the TT did not come with parts that meet the certification label. You were expecting to be able to carry xx pounds. (You need to find the label with the CCC on it) Do you have any other documentation showing 5080 axle capacity?

GVWR of 10840 would clearly require more than 7000 on the two axles as I have never seen any instructions indicating 35% of trailer weight to be on pin. Maybe someone else knows what the pin weight should be on a 10K TT


Based on what I have read the normal reaction from FR when they are caught with this type of screw-up simply send out new certification labels and the owners are stuck with TT that can't carry as much load. IMO this is like advertising 200 HP engine but only delivering 160 HP. That was a recall and there were checks written to compensate owners.

Any idea what 5080# axles, wheels & tires would cost? Labor?

What is the limit on small claims court in your state?
__________________

__________________
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety. RVTireSafety.NET
Note the new address .NET Please copy & paste the URL the forum has problems with the direct link

Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cherokee, tire, tires

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.