Old 07-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #1

Correct tires on Cherokee

We bought a 2006 Cherokee 27Q last year. Our first time out this year we had a tire blowout. In looking at the sticker on the trailer, it appears this has the wrong size, and load range tires. Thinking a previous owner swapped out tires at some point, or a manufacturers error. Has anyone else run into this ? I have sent 2 e-mails to Forest River service to try and verify correct wheels/tires, but no answer yet. Wish I caught this at dealer when we picked it up. Any thoughts , or suggestions on buying tires and wheels ? Thanks.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #2

Did you check the pressure in them before leaving?

Old 07-26-2016, 07:21 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

It's pretty common to change out tires for higher load ratings. This may mean a larger size to get the load rating they want. How old were the tires? 5 years is about the max sometime up to 7.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:28 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
The correct tire size and inflation should be on the placard which is on the side of your unit. Mine is yellow, but some are white.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
The correct tire size and inflation should be on the placard which is on the side of your unit. Mine is yellow, but some are white.
He already knows the "correct" tire size, he said he saw the sticker already.

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
Old 07-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #6

Thank for quick responses. The tire decal is very worn, faded, and I put the pieces of it that I can read together to come up with what I believe to be correct. As far as I can tell, they should be ST225/75R15 LRD, on 15X6 rims. What I have is ST205/75R15 LRC on 15X5 rims. Looking at date code, these could be original tires ( other than wrong size). The pressure was checked that morning before leaving campground, however, it was a 90 degree day, and old, underrated tires. (explains the blowout) However, in reading tire reviews, I see mostly negative comments on pretty much every brand. New to forum, didnt include enough info in first post.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Is the 27q a toy hauler? All the Cherokee s I've seen had 14 c's on them.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
Old 07-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVJR View Post
Thank for quick responses. The tire decal is very worn, faded, and I put the pieces of it that I can read together to come up with what I believe to be correct. As far as I can tell, they should be ST225/75R15 LRD, on 15X6 rims. What I have is ST205/75R15 LRC on 15X5 rims. Looking at date code, these could be original tires ( other than wrong size). The pressure was checked that morning before leaving campground, however, it was a 90 degree day, and old, underrated tires. (explains the blowout) However, in reading tire reviews, I see mostly negative comments on pretty much every brand. New to forum, didnt include enough info in first post.
Perhaps dealer swapped out "your" higher load range tires to a different unit he sold to satisfy that owner??
Old 07-27-2016, 03:18 PM   #9

Not a toy hauler. Bedroom in front, couch and dinette in slide out, and bath in back. 62xx Dry weight, 10080 GVW. A little bigger than we wanted, but we really liked the layout.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVJR View Post

Major loss in load capacity if the OE size was ST225/75R15 LR-D 2,540# per tire at 65 psi. While the ST205/70R15 LR-C is only rated for 1,820 at 50.

I think you need a serious discussion with the dealer about them selling a vehicle with grossly overloaded tires. This is clearly not a safe condition.
They may try and side step responsibility but they do have some responsibility for selling a unit that meets basic safety requirements.
As they try and hem and haw you might ask if they would sell a motorhome with worn out or non-functioning brakes? Or would they by-pass a blown fuse with a piece of wire?

Complaint to BBB is warranted so is a complaint to NHTSA on the dealership. You might also drop a line to Forest River and advise them how their dealer is operating. CEO Pete Liegl

Forest River RV

P.O. Box 3030
Elkhart, IN 46515-3030

Of course based on past history Safety may not be a focus of FR.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, tire, tires