Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Saugus,Ma.
Posts: 13
Correct tires on Cherokee

We bought a 2006 Cherokee 27Q last year. Our first time out this year we had a tire blowout. In looking at the sticker on the trailer, it appears this has the wrong size, and load range tires. Thinking a previous owner swapped out tires at some point, or a manufacturers error. Has anyone else run into this ? I have sent 2 e-mails to Forest River service to try and verify correct wheels/tires, but no answer yet. Wish I caught this at dealer when we picked it up. Any thoughts , or suggestions on buying tires and wheels ? Thanks.
__________________

JVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Lavergne Tn.
Posts: 20
Did you check the pressure in them before leaving?
__________________

Xrrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:21 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 6,616
It's pretty common to change out tires for higher load ratings. This may mean a larger size to get the load rating they want. How old were the tires? 5 years is about the max sometime up to 7.
__________________

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:28 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Blackhat6mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St Simons Island, GA
Posts: 1,216
The correct tire size and inflation should be on the placard which is on the side of your unit. Mine is yellow, but some are white.
__________________
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 6,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
The correct tire size and inflation should be on the placard which is on the side of your unit. Mine is yellow, but some are white.
He already knows the "correct" tire size, he said he saw the sticker already.
__________________

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Saugus,Ma.
Posts: 13
Thank for quick responses. The tire decal is very worn, faded, and I put the pieces of it that I can read together to come up with what I believe to be correct. As far as I can tell, they should be ST225/75R15 LRD, on 15X6 rims. What I have is ST205/75R15 LRC on 15X5 rims. Looking at date code, these could be original tires ( other than wrong size). The pressure was checked that morning before leaving campground, however, it was a 90 degree day, and old, underrated tires. (explains the blowout) However, in reading tire reviews, I see mostly negative comments on pretty much every brand. New to forum, didnt include enough info in first post.
JVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 6,616
Is the 27q a toy hauler? All the Cherokee s I've seen had 14 c's on them.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7
__________________

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Dunn, NC
Posts: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVJR View Post
Thank for quick responses. The tire decal is very worn, faded, and I put the pieces of it that I can read together to come up with what I believe to be correct. As far as I can tell, they should be ST225/75R15 LRD, on 15X6 rims. What I have is ST205/75R15 LRC on 15X5 rims. Looking at date code, these could be original tires ( other than wrong size). The pressure was checked that morning before leaving campground, however, it was a 90 degree day, and old, underrated tires. (explains the blowout) However, in reading tire reviews, I see mostly negative comments on pretty much every brand. New to forum, didnt include enough info in first post.
Perhaps dealer swapped out "your" higher load range tires to a different unit he sold to satisfy that owner??
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:18 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Saugus,Ma.
Posts: 13
Not a toy hauler. Bedroom in front, couch and dinette in slide out, and bath in back. 62xx Dry weight, 10080 GVW. A little bigger than we wanted, but we really liked the layout.
JVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #10
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVJR View Post
Thank for quick responses. The tire decal is very worn, faded, and I put the pieces of it that I can read together to come up with what I believe to be correct. As far as I can tell, they should be ST225/75R15 LRD, on 15X6 rims. What I have is ST205/75R15 LRC on 15X5 rims. Looking at date code, these could be original tires ( other than wrong size). The pressure was checked that morning before leaving campground, however, it was a 90 degree day, and old, underrated tires. (explains the blowout) However, in reading tire reviews, I see mostly negative comments on pretty much every brand. New to forum, didnt include enough info in first post.

Major loss in load capacity if the OE size was ST225/75R15 LR-D 2,540# per tire at 65 psi. While the ST205/70R15 LR-C is only rated for 1,820 at 50.

I think you need a serious discussion with the dealer about them selling a vehicle with grossly overloaded tires. This is clearly not a safe condition.
They may try and side step responsibility but they do have some responsibility for selling a unit that meets basic safety requirements.
As they try and hem and haw you might ask if they would sell a motorhome with worn out or non-functioning brakes? Or would they by-pass a blown fuse with a piece of wire?

Complaint to BBB is warranted so is a complaint to NHTSA on the dealership. You might also drop a line to Forest River and advise them how their dealer is operating. CEO Pete Liegl

Forest River RV

P.O. Box 3030
Elkhart, IN 46515-3030

Of course based on past history Safety may not be a focus of FR.
__________________
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA in Tuscon, AZ and Syracuse NY in 2020
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:38 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVJR View Post
Not a toy hauler. Bedroom in front, couch and dinette in slide out, and bath in back. 62xx Dry weight, 10080 GVW. A little bigger than we wanted, but we really liked the layout.
Are you sure of that GVW? I found two online brochures that list the GVWR at 7680 lbs. This would be consistent with the total load rating of the 205/75-15 C tires which is 7280. Once you subtract the published tongue weight of 680 lbs, total weight on tires would be 7000 lbs.

If the tires are original from 2006 they are way to old to be safe.
__________________

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2013 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:20 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Saugus,Ma.
Posts: 13
Just went out to verify weights. VIN sticker inside shows UVW 6210 GVW 10840. Sticker on outside of trailer shows GAWR 5080 Per axle. Tire info is hard to read, but I can see 65psi, wheel size 15 x 6, and tire size ST225xx, rest is faded out. Agree that tires are too old. I missed it, going on assumption that tires were correct on unit, and my ignorance of the usable lifespan of trailer tires. ( Never thought to check date codes ) Now I read the trailer tire failure stories, and almost across the board bad reviews, and not sure what I am going to replace them with. Thanks.
JVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #13
Usually Confused Member
 
emm-dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,766
FR "de-rated" the GAWR to 5,080 to match the weight rating of the original tires (2,540 x 2). They do that a lot. The axle probably has a sticker somewhere on it showing 5,200 pounds. The GAWR is the lower of the axle mfgr rating or the tire rating.

You can lower the rating with less hefty tires but you cannot raise the rating above the placard weight by putting heavier duty tires on it. Only the manufacturer can do that.
__________________
2018 Forester 3051S (aka Clyde)
2015 Wrangler Toad (aka Bonnie)

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Saugus,Ma.
Posts: 13
update to op

Answer from FR that typically, ST205 mounts on 5 lug, and ST225 on 6 lug wheels. This, combined with some other posts, and other trailer forums had me questioning the axle ratings. I got under there today, and both axles are tagged 3500 lb max. I have forwarded tis to FR, along with pictures of both weight decals on trailer. Two 3500 axles don't add up to their 10840 GVW, or 5040 per axle. This probably explains the confusion of correct tires and wheels. They are right for the axles, which are wrong on the trailer. Waiting for response from FR, and will update progress.
JVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #15
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVJR View Post
Answer from FR that typically, ST205 mounts on 5 lug, and ST225 on 6 lug wheels. This, combined with some other posts, and other trailer forums had me questioning the axle ratings. I got under there today, and both axles are tagged 3500 lb max. I have forwarded tis to FR, along with pictures of both weight decals on trailer. Two 3500 axles don't add up to their 10840 GVW, or 5040 per axle. This probably explains the confusion of correct tires and wheels. They are right for the axles, which are wrong on the trailer. Waiting for response from FR, and will update progress.
If in fact the axles are only rated for 3500 # but the GVW is 10,840 then I could see a recall might be in order. Be sure to cleect VIN and all tire DOT serials. Get a picture of your vehicle certification / tire placard label too.

You need to file a complaint with NHTSA to alert them of the problem of overloaded axles based on certification label.
__________________
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA in Tuscon, AZ and Syracuse NY in 2020
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:53 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Saugus,Ma.
Posts: 13
Thanks for the input. The tags read 3500 max. I looked up the wheel seal number that I replaced last year, and it crosses back to a 3500 lb axle, and #84 spindle.
I have filed a complaint with NHTSA. However, it was when I thought it was a tire/wheel issue. I called them today to update, but it has to be done in print form and mailed. ( working on that ). The axle tag photos are hard to read, but possible. I have not taken them off of the axle, as they are sealed and I don't want to tamper with them. The contact I have been dealing with at FR is away, and I don't expect to hear from him until next week. I will continue to update as I get answers.
JVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #17
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVJR View Post
Thanks for the input. The tags read 3500 max. I looked up the wheel seal number that I replaced last year, and it crosses back to a 3500 lb axle, and #84 spindle.
I have filed a complaint with NHTSA. However, it was when I thought it was a tire/wheel issue. I called them today to update, but it has to be done in print form and mailed. ( working on that ). The axle tag photos are hard to read, but possible. I have not taken them off of the axle, as they are sealed and I don't want to tamper with them. The contact I have been dealing with at FR is away, and I don't expect to hear from him until next week. I will continue to update as I get answers.

To be clear, Your trailer has two axles marked for 3,500#
You cannot read the GAWR on the certification lable/tire placard on side of the RV. Do you have any other documentation on the GAWR or GVWR of the RV?
What is the "max load" number on the side of the tires?
Tire Size and tire DOT serial
__________________
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA in Tuscon, AZ and Syracuse NY in 2020
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Saugus,Ma.
Posts: 13
Yes, axle tags show 3500 max
Certification decal hard to read, but I can see GAWR 5080 per axle, tire sise ST225/75R15?D at 65 psi on 15X6 wheels
Tures on trailer are ST205/75R15C Max load 1820 at 50 PSI on 15X5 wheels.
Decal with VIN inside trailer shows GVW 10840
DOT on tires 90 UL H Date looks like 1005
The confusion started while tire shopping, and realized wrong tires on unit. Further complicated as I started looking into things and found 3500 axles. It seems to me that the tires are right for the axles, which are wrong for this trailer. I have sent pictures of all this info to FR and I am waiting for their response. I understand needing to buy tires as they are obviously a wear item ,but, I feel they should be responsible for putting a safe trailer on the road. I bought this trailer used, and from it's condition, I don't think it was towed very many miles. Probably why no one found this earlier.
Thank You for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside Decal.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	117728   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	117729  
JVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Saugus,Ma.
Posts: 13
A little over a week ago, I e-mailed FR again to ask what they are going to do to repair my trailer. No response. I did however hear from the sales manager of the dealership I bought from. In a conversation with him, and his service mgr. they agree this trailer was built with the wrong axles. I have filed a complaint with NHTSA, and am considering legal options. Has anyone had any experience going this route? Not looking to score off of this, I only want trailer to actually be capable of the specs they sold. Thanks for any input.
JVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #20
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVJR View Post
A little over a week ago, I e-mailed FR again to ask what they are going to do to repair my trailer. No response. I did however hear from the sales manager of the dealership I bought from. In a conversation with him, and his service mgr. they agree this trailer was built with the wrong axles. I have filed a complaint with NHTSA, and am considering legal options. Has anyone had any experience going this route? Not looking to score off of this, I only want trailer to actually be capable of the specs they sold. Thanks for any input.

Your certification label says 5080 axles ( GAWR)and you got 3500# axles.
Seems pretty clear to me that the TT did not come with parts that meet the certification label. You were expecting to be able to carry xx pounds. (You need to find the label with the CCC on it) Do you have any other documentation showing 5080 axle capacity?

GVWR of 10840 would clearly require more than 7000 on the two axles as I have never seen any instructions indicating 35% of trailer weight to be on pin. Maybe someone else knows what the pin weight should be on a 10K TT


Based on what I have read the normal reaction from FR when they are caught with this type of screw-up simply send out new certification labels and the owners are stuck with TT that can't carry as much load. IMO this is like advertising 200 HP engine but only delivering 160 HP. That was a recall and there were checks written to compensate owners.

Any idea what 5080# axles, wheels & tires would cost? Labor?

What is the limit on small claims court in your state?
__________________

__________________
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA in Tuscon, AZ and Syracuse NY in 2020
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cherokee, tire, tires

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.


×