Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #1

Correct tires on Cherokee

We bought a 2006 Cherokee 27Q last year. Our first time out this year we had a tire blowout. In looking at the sticker on the trailer, it appears this has the wrong size, and load range tires. Thinking a previous owner swapped out tires at some point, or a manufacturers error. Has anyone else run into this ? I have sent 2 e-mails to Forest River service to try and verify correct wheels/tires, but no answer yet. Wish I caught this at dealer when we picked it up. Any thoughts , or suggestions on buying tires and wheels ? Thanks.
JVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #2

Did you check the pressure in them before leaving?
Xrrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:21 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

It's pretty common to change out tires for higher load ratings. This may mean a larger size to get the load rating they want. How old were the tires? 5 years is about the max sometime up to 7.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:28 PM   #4

The correct tire size and inflation should be on the placard which is on the side of your unit. Mine is yellow, but some are white.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
The correct tire size and inflation should be on the placard which is on the side of your unit. Mine is yellow, but some are white.
He already knows the "correct" tire size, he said he saw the sticker already.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #6

Thank for quick responses. The tire decal is very worn, faded, and I put the pieces of it that I can read together to come up with what I believe to be correct. As far as I can tell, they should be ST225/75R15 LRD, on 15X6 rims. What I have is ST205/75R15 LRC on 15X5 rims. Looking at date code, these could be original tires ( other than wrong size). The pressure was checked that morning before leaving campground, however, it was a 90 degree day, and old, underrated tires. (explains the blowout) However, in reading tire reviews, I see mostly negative comments on pretty much every brand. New to forum, didnt include enough info in first post.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Is the 27q a toy hauler? All the Cherokee s I've seen had 14 c's on them.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVJR View Post
Thank for quick responses. The tire decal is very worn, faded, and I put the pieces of it that I can read together to come up with what I believe to be correct. As far as I can tell, they should be ST225/75R15 LRD, on 15X6 rims. What I have is ST205/75R15 LRC on 15X5 rims. Looking at date code, these could be original tires ( other than wrong size). The pressure was checked that morning before leaving campground, however, it was a 90 degree day, and old, underrated tires. (explains the blowout) However, in reading tire reviews, I see mostly negative comments on pretty much every brand. New to forum, didnt include enough info in first post.
Perhaps dealer swapped out "your" higher load range tires to a different unit he sold to satisfy that owner??
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:18 PM   #9

Not a toy hauler. Bedroom in front, couch and dinette in slide out, and bath in back. 62xx Dry weight, 10080 GVW. A little bigger than we wanted, but we really liked the layout.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:

Major loss in load capacity if the OE size was ST225/75R15 LR-D 2,540# per tire at 65 psi. While the ST205/70R15 LR-C is only rated for 1,820 at 50.

I think you need a serious discussion with the dealer about them selling a vehicle with grossly overloaded tires. This is clearly not a safe condition.
They may try and side step responsibility but they do have some responsibility for selling a unit that meets basic safety requirements.
As they try and hem and haw you might ask if they would sell a motorhome with worn out or non-functioning brakes? Or would they by-pass a blown fuse with a piece of wire?

Complaint to BBB is warranted so is a complaint to NHTSA on the dealership. You might also drop a line to Forest River and advise them how their dealer is operating. CEO Pete Liegl

Forest River RV

P.O. Box 3030
Elkhart, IN 46515-3030

Of course based on past history Safety may not be a focus of FR.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Not a toy hauler. Bedroom in front, couch and dinette in slide out, and bath in back. 62xx Dry weight, 10080 GVW. A little bigger than we wanted, but we really liked the layout.
Are you sure of that GVW? I found two online brochures that list the GVWR at 7680 lbs. This would be consistent with the total load rating of the 205/75-15 C tires which is 7280. Once you subtract the published tongue weight of 680 lbs, total weight on tires would be 7000 lbs.

If the tires are original from 2006 they are way to old to be safe.

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2013 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:20 PM   #12

Just went out to verify weights. VIN sticker inside shows UVW 6210 GVW 10840. Sticker on outside of trailer shows GAWR 5080 Per axle. Tire info is hard to read, but I can see 65psi, wheel size 15 x 6, and tire size ST225xx, rest is faded out. Agree that tires are too old. I missed it, going on assumption that tires were correct on unit, and my ignorance of the usable lifespan of trailer tires. ( Never thought to check date codes ) Now I read the trailer tire failure stories, and almost across the board bad reviews, and not sure what I am going to replace them with. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #13

FR "de-rated" the GAWR to 5,080 to match the weight rating of the original tires (2,540 x 2). They do that a lot. The axle probably has a sticker somewhere on it showing 5,200 pounds. The GAWR is the lower of the axle mfgr rating or the tire rating.

You can lower the rating with less hefty tires but you cannot raise the rating above the placard weight by putting heavier duty tires on it. Only the manufacturer can do that.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #14

update to op

Answer from FR that typically, ST205 mounts on 5 lug, and ST225 on 6 lug wheels. This, combined with some other posts, and other trailer forums had me questioning the axle ratings. I got under there today, and both axles are tagged 3500 lb max. I have forwarded tis to FR, along with pictures of both weight decals on trailer. Two 3500 axles don't add up to their 10840 GVW, or 5040 per axle. This probably explains the confusion of correct tires and wheels. They are right for the axles, which are wrong on the trailer. Waiting for response from FR, and will update progress.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Answer from FR that typically, ST205 mounts on 5 lug, and ST225 on 6 lug wheels. This, combined with some other posts, and other trailer forums had me questioning the axle ratings. I got under there today, and both axles are tagged 3500 lb max. I have forwarded tis to FR, along with pictures of both weight decals on trailer. Two 3500 axles don't add up to their 10840 GVW, or 5040 per axle. This probably explains the confusion of correct tires and wheels. They are right for the axles, which are wrong on the trailer. Waiting for response from FR, and will update progress.
If in fact the axles are only rated for 3500 # but the GVW is 10,840 then I could see a recall might be in order. Be sure to cleect VIN and all tire DOT serials. Get a picture of your vehicle certification / tire placard label too.

You need to file a complaint with NHTSA to alert them of the problem of overloaded axles based on certification label.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 08-16-2016, 05:53 PM   #16

Thanks for the input. The tags read 3500 max. I looked up the wheel seal number that I replaced last year, and it crosses back to a 3500 lb axle, and #84 spindle.
I have filed a complaint with NHTSA. However, it was when I thought it was a tire/wheel issue. I called them today to update, but it has to be done in print form and mailed. ( working on that ). The axle tag photos are hard to read, but possible. I have not taken them off of the axle, as they are sealed and I don't want to tamper with them. The contact I have been dealing with at FR is away, and I don't expect to hear from him until next week. I will continue to update as I get answers.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input. The tags read 3500 max. I looked up the wheel seal number that I replaced last year, and it crosses back to a 3500 lb axle, and #84 spindle.
I have filed a complaint with NHTSA. However, it was when I thought it was a tire/wheel issue. I called them today to update, but it has to be done in print form and mailed. ( working on that ). The axle tag photos are hard to read, but possible. I have not taken them off of the axle, as they are sealed and I don't want to tamper with them. The contact I have been dealing with at FR is away, and I don't expect to hear from him until next week. I will continue to update as I get answers.

To be clear, Your trailer has two axles marked for 3,500#
You cannot read the GAWR on the certification lable/tire placard on side of the RV. Do you have any other documentation on the GAWR or GVWR of the RV?
What is the "max load" number on the side of the tires?
Tire Size and tire DOT serial
Old 08-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #18

Yes, axle tags show 3500 max
Certification decal hard to read, but I can see GAWR 5080 per axle, tire sise ST225/75R15?D at 65 psi on 15X6 wheels
Tures on trailer are ST205/75R15C Max load 1820 at 50 PSI on 15X5 wheels.
Decal with VIN inside trailer shows GVW 10840
DOT on tires 90 UL H Date looks like 1005
The confusion started while tire shopping, and realized wrong tires on unit. Further complicated as I started looking into things and found 3500 axles. It seems to me that the tires are right for the axles, which are wrong for this trailer. I have sent pictures of all this info to FR and I am waiting for their response. I understand needing to buy tires as they are obviously a wear item ,but, I feel they should be responsible for putting a safe trailer on the road. I bought this trailer used, and from it's condition, I don't think it was towed very many miles. Probably why no one found this earlier.
Thank You for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside Decal.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	117728   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	117729  
Old 09-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #19

A little over a week ago, I e-mailed FR again to ask what they are going to do to repair my trailer. No response. I did however hear from the sales manager of the dealership I bought from. In a conversation with him, and his service mgr. they agree this trailer was built with the wrong axles. I have filed a complaint with NHTSA, and am considering legal options. Has anyone had any experience going this route? Not looking to score off of this, I only want trailer to actually be capable of the specs they sold. Thanks for any input.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
A little over a week ago, I e-mailed FR again to ask what they are going to do to repair my trailer. No response. I did however hear from the sales manager of the dealership I bought from. In a conversation with him, and his service mgr. they agree this trailer was built with the wrong axles. I have filed a complaint with NHTSA, and am considering legal options. Has anyone had any experience going this route? Not looking to score off of this, I only want trailer to actually be capable of the specs they sold. Thanks for any input.

Your certification label says 5080 axles ( GAWR)and you got 3500# axles.
Seems pretty clear to me that the TT did not come with parts that meet the certification label. You were expecting to be able to carry xx pounds. (You need to find the label with the CCC on it) Do you have any other documentation showing 5080 axle capacity?

GVWR of 10840 would clearly require more than 7000 on the two axles as I have never seen any instructions indicating 35% of trailer weight to be on pin. Maybe someone else knows what the pin weight should be on a 10K TT

Based on what I have read the normal reaction from FR when they are caught with this type of screw-up simply send out new certification labels and the owners are stuck with TT that can't carry as much load. IMO this is like advertising 200 HP engine but only delivering 160 HP. That was a recall and there were checks written to compensate owners.

Any idea what 5080# axles, wheels & tires would cost? Labor?

What is the limit on small claims court in your state?

Tags
cherokee, tire, tires