Old 01-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #1

Little help? Should I cover my 5th WHEEL? I live in new England and we have had good luck with the weather but that won't last!! NOREASTER CAN RUIN YOUR DAY. cover or no cover?

JabbaLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #2

First, anything exposed to sunlight, rain, snow, heat, cold, and so forth (particularly UV and moisture) will deteriorate with time. Look at all the old run down RV's you see sitting out in the middle of some farm. Those things aren't rotten to the core because they sat in a well protected shelter for 40 years. They're rotten because the sun's UV rays deteriorated their outer skin, and because water intruded and ruined the structure. Rubber gaskets, fiberglass, paint... everything breaks down with time, and the break-down is accelerated by what we call "the elements."

Second, Forest River's own manuals recommend storing away from the elements, and recommend that if indoor storage can't happen, a cover is the next best option.

Even if you don't plan to keep it very long, keeping it covered will preserve its clean appearance, and help with resale value down the road. And if you do keep it a long time, protecting it from the elements will reduce the likelihood of developing leaks, cracks, faded decals, faded or worn out paint, etc.

davido_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
There have been several posts on this topic this winter...simply do a search in the search bar above and surely some will appear. Bottom line, some on here swear by them, the rest of us swear at them! If you do it, you need to buy a good one, don't cheap out. The good ones supposedly breathe not allowing moisture to get trapped underneath. Personally, I think there will always be some moisture getting trapped underneath in nooks and crannies. Other thing is if there is any movement of the cover in a wind, it can rub against the RV and leave permanent marks or cause chaffing. You will also need to cover your rainspouts with tennis balls or something similar so they don't break off....and be prepared to buy a new cover after about 3 seasons...if you're lucky. For me, the best cover is no cover at all. It gets a good bath in the spring when it comes out of storage, gets waxed in spring and again in fall before being put away, and that seems to work just fine! I have seen far too many covers flapping in the wind.
2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Rockwood 8289WS, Diamond Pkg.
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote