Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #1

Delivery to Home

Hello, was wondering if anyone has taken delivery of their new TT at home... I am looking at purchasing a new trailer from a dealer out of state and they are willing to deliver for next to nothing... The reason I'm buying out of state is we are getting EXACTLY what we want for $4k less than a similar trailer in town without all the upgrades!
Loda8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:58 AM   #2

I would still do the PDI and initial inspection of the trailer at the dealership, then sign the paperwork when it is to your satisfaction that everything is right and let them deliver it, (maybe you can follow them home) ONLY if you are comfortable with setting up your WDH on your own...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:58 AM   #3

My dealer delivered mine to my permanent site which was a couple hour drive from the dealership but still in the same state. the driver was very nice backed it into the spot in 1 shot right where i wanted it. i just lowered the landing gear he pulled out and hit the auto level. made it alot easier on me and my DW.

we did the PDI and everything at the dealer first then drove down
Old 05-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #4

Delivery to Home

The dealer is over 1000 miles away, if I were to drive there for the PDI I would just drive it back myself... I am pretty mechanically inclined and this would be our 2nd TT (1st brand new)... It will be under the mfr warranty for any of the MAJOR stuff and I'm pretty confident I can fix the minor stuff as I would do if buying used!
Old 05-24-2016, 12:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loda8383 View Post
The dealer is over 1000 miles away, if I were to drive there for the PDI I would just drive it back myself... I am pretty mechanically inclined and this would be our 2nd TT (1st brand new)... It will be under the mfr warranty for any of the MAJOR stuff and I'm pretty confident I can fix the minor stuff as I would do if buying used!
Just remember that a local dealer doesn't have to fix/repair major stuff or anything on a unit they did not sell, even if it's under mfr warranty. It's not like in the auto industry.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:51 PM   #6

We thought about that too but that would be the same if buying used... I've "heard" if you contact forest river directly they will authorize you to take it to a repair facility if dealer can't/won't get you in... Thanks for all the help, I will update once after doing PDI in my driveway!!!
Old 05-25-2016, 09:35 AM   #7
Site Team

We had our last unit delivered to our driveway. It is a challenge getting warranty work done, but to us we could do a lot of work for the amount saved.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #8

Have you taken that lower price to the local dealer to see if they will match it? If you have it written up, it might be harder for them to refuse and could save you alot of headaches in the future with possible warranty issues.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:07 AM   #9

I say go for it. For $4,000 you can get a lot of stuff done. Also it is exactly what you want. I traveled 8 hours one way to pick up mine and do not regret it. Yes had to fix some stuff, which is ok. Not worried about warranty by FR dealer because local service sucks here.

Any thing major I'll get pre approval and pay good service person to do or arrange to take it back to factory if major issue

Took to FR dealer CW and they messed up more than they fixed. Plus they keep your trailer long time.

Just my opinion.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #10

I talked to the local dealer and the base model they have was $4000 more than the one we are getting FULLY LOADED!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed that there are no major issues... Like they say, you can't win if you don't gamble in once in awhile!!!