Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #41

I’ve never used a tarp to cover my RV, I have always elected to use an RV cover. I have seen a few RVs with mold on the roof and sides and damage to the seals around the windows, all said to be caused by a tarp trapping in the moisture. I’m sure it depends on the climate, humidity and wind, but why cover with a tarp if it can cause more problems then leaving it free to breath?

I constructed the little gravel pad next to my driveway, hidden by the surrounding forest (so neighbors don’t complain). Photo is in my previous post above.

My cover saves my travel trailer from the sun damage, leaves, and walnuts that drop out of the trees in the fall. I covered it a little late one year, and within two weeks the roof was a stained mess of walnut blackness and leaf fossil prints.
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:52 PM   #42

Camp Inc

If you value your trailer, take a look at Calmark covers. A little more money, but worth it
RSHAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:55 PM   #43

If you value your trailer, take a look at Camark covers. A little more money, but worth it
RSHAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:38 AM   #44

Living in Northern Lower Michigan just east of Traverse City we get a lot of lake effect snow at times. Being the wife and me are very busy all the time I don't have the energy to cover and wrap our FR Sabre Lite 25RL. It cost's us about $230.00 per season but I have a fellow come out and shrink wrap just below the awnings leaving enough room to get inside the unit if needed. I know it is a little costly but but when we get 2 feet of snow at a time we sleep sound knowing the snow will slide off. We are going on our 3rd year and the shrink wrap breathes just fine. I get on the roof 1 or 2 times a year for inspection and it looks like new. I do need to clean and treat next spring as part of general maintenance plans. I guess it's all personal preference. Good luck and Happy Camping.
drumbum59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:43 AM   #45
BMI
BMI

We have always stored our 5th inside for the winter. We get lots of snow and freezing rain here...
BMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:57 AM   #46

Post Cover-YES!

I have a 26' Rockford and store in East Tawas MI. We have snow, lots of it. I cover it and tie it down well and have had good results. I got a nice cover from eBay for $134 and it works great. It breathes and has zippers in case you really need to get in when the cover is on.

A couple of things to remember though. Tie it down well. Use all the straps and check it a couple times during the winter. Also, make sure all rough corners and edges are padded. The cover will move as it breathes so these edges can wear holes. I found this out with my stairs. Check your antennas out too and put them down.

Dkhinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:07 AM   #47
Gustafson

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbum59 View Post
Living in Northern Lower Michigan just east of Traverse City we get a lot of lake effect snow at times. Being the wife and me are very busy all the time I don't have the energy to cover and wrap our FR Sabre Lite 25RL. It cost's us about $230.00 per season but I have a fellow come out and shrink wrap just below the awnings leaving enough room to get inside the unit if needed. I know it is a little costly but but when we get 2 feet of snow at a time we sleep sound knowing the snow will slide off. We are going on our 3rd year and the shrink wrap breathes just fine. I get on the roof 1 or 2 times a year for inspection and it looks like new. I do need to clean and treat next spring as part of general maintenance plans. I guess it's all personal preference. Good luck and Happy Camping.
Welcome fellow Michigander. I keep my TT across the state from you, north of Alpena. I like the shrink wrap idea, I might look into that after my current tarp starts to fail.(usually get 2-3 seasons out of one)
Old 08-28-2018, 09:39 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrockin View Post
Welcome fellow Michigander. I keep my TT across the state from you, north of Alpena. I like the shrink wrap idea, I might look into that after my current tarp starts to fail.(usually get 2-3 seasons out of one)
We used to own some land on the Thunder River West of Alpena !!!
Great place to Camp & Fish !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:47 AM   #49

Winters can be tough.. but nothing compared to the brutal Florida sun/humidity. I have used the high end Aadco RV cover and can say without a doubt it was a piece of overpriced SH*T...lasted 2 seasons and fell apart because it is primary constructed of glorified paper shop towel material. I then and have been using the RV covers from Empire..both the entry and high level covers. They are somewhat inexpensive, heavy, and pita to install but they have lived through several hurricanes and that God awful sun...unless youbopt for a custom.amde cover which will take several weeks or months to manufacture, I suggest something from Empire cover..good luck
BERZERKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:12 AM   #50
Gustafson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
We used to own some land on the Thunder River West of Alpena !!!
Great place to Camp & Fish !!!
Excellent! I own property in Presque Isle. It is a great place to camp, hunt, and fish.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrockin View Post
Excellent! I own property in Presque Isle. It is a great place to camp, hunt, and fish.
Right On !!!
We had to sell ours,,, I became unable to take care of it !!!
I Miss It !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
This has been our cover since 2007. It’s 18X40, with concrete pad was around $4K. We’ve had a 35’ fifth wheel, a 40’ Mountain Aire DP, and now our little W&P stored under it. It sure helps keep the paint from fading and the roof less exposed.Attachment 183746
I am so green with envy! Really wish I could afford one of those!
I live in VA and we have lots of pine trees along with oaks. So a cover always goes over mine when not in use. UV also rakes havoc on a rubber roof. So it gets washed twice a year and treated once a year. I have no black streaks and always looks great.
Crew/6.5 Bed
Pullrite Superglide
Duramax/Allison
Busybeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:43 AM   #53

You can purchase a super duty tarp on Amazon. I think they are called farm tarps that are used to cover hay in the fields. The edges are super reinforced with rope around the outsides and the grommets are reinforced as well. I picked one up for $130.00 and only used it one winter. I think its 16' X 30'. Love the east side of the state. Our favorite spot is Black Lake State Forest Campground. Heading there this weekend.
drumbum59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:38 PM   #54

I do cover my trailer over the winter, thxgiving thru Easter. Bought my cover thru camping world
cherokeewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, winter