Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2016, 07:44 AM   #1

Drag bars on 29BH

I have a 2011 Grey Wolf 29BH. I live on a pretty steep road to get onto the highway. I have drug a few times when I start going up the hill and it drags who coming home. This past weekend one of the drag bars broke at the V. I do not think adding wheels to the drag bar will help as it will put too much stress on the frame. My question is: Has anyone relocated the drag bars about 6-12" forward? Then I could put wheels on the bumper just in case. To see the drag bars are there to protect the stabilizers. I live out in the country so we have all sorts of farm/ranch welders.

Thanks
txpedsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:11 AM   #2

The 'drag bars' are on there for a reason. moving the bars or adding wheel 'drag bars' will not solve the problem. After a while you will destroy the wheel 'drag bars' (been there and done that). If this is happening (dragging) all the time...... you need a higher camper, for you will tear something up much more worse, 'down the road'. ie, bend the frame or drag something important off on the underside to the unit.

imo

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:50 PM   #3

I have scraped and bent the drag bars on my 26dbh. The tech at my local shop suggested mounting rollers to the frame at a height that would hit the ground before my dump plumbing. I'm also concerned that damage can result from repeated impact. I think I'll just replace the bars and think of them as sacrificial. Like you said, it doesn't take much to replace them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1464724186447.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	109682   Click image for larger version

Name:	1464724217561.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	109683  
Old 06-01-2016, 04:33 PM   #4

So I have talked to my welder friend and we are going to make new drag bars the same height as the current bars except we are going to add wheels to the bottom. I am also lowering the hitch on my truck with hopes of changing the angle when going up the hill.

Now here is another question and I have not searched for it yet, but has anybody flipped the axles to under the springs to give more ground clearance? OR can it even be accomplished?
Old 06-01-2016, 04:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpedsrt View Post
So I have talked to my welder friend and we are going to make new drag bars the same height as the current bars except we are going to add wheels to the bottom. I am also lowering the hitch on my truck with hopes of changing the angle when going up the hill.

Now here is another question and I have not searched for it yet, but has anybody flipped the axles to under the springs to give more ground clearance? OR can it even be accomplished?

Nope..... by making the drag bars the same length and then adding wheels on the bottom of that will make the 'drag' worse when it happens. Measure the length that should be there now and then make the bars shorter, per the size of the wheels that you want to put on.

On some models it is easy to 'flip' the axles. I have seen it done on two campers. But this is something to think long and hard about on 'what does it change' and what are the pros and cons of what is changed.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpedsrt View Post
So I have talked to my welder friend and we are going to make new drag bars the same height as the current bars except we are going to add wheels to the bottom. I am also lowering the hitch on my truck with hopes of changing the angle when going up the hill...
Sounds like the way to fix the problem.

The factory drag bars when they contact the road puts the same amount of stress on the frame. The rollers will just last longer.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #7

Here is what I have found for doing an axle flip. Going to look into it if it is only $300-400.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...dbh-91017.html
Old 06-01-2016, 04:56 PM   #8

Brother les,

That is what I meant. The drag bars with the wheels installed will be roughly the same height as the current drag bars on there now. I am not always good about describing things where it is understandable.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:25 PM   #9

drag bars

After bending a drag bar and getting uneven wear on the factory tires on my Grey Wolf 28BH, I went all out with an extensive modification: heavier axles with cross bracing, 16" wheels with Maxxis 10 ply tires (replacing the factory 14" tires), beefed up springs, and drag wheels on square tubing welded to the frame. Result is that it has raised the trailer by 6 inches so I have lots of clearance. This is important when loading and unloading on BC Ferries, especially during a very low tide.
I have read on this forum that if you approach the steep grade at an angle, it will prevent dragging.
2013 Grey Wolf Select 28BH
2012 Ford F250 Super Duty Lariet 4X4
Nights camped 2016 = 8 and counting
biker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #10

Biker2,

How much did that run you to do all of that?

I am thinking of flipping the axles and putting on 15" tires
Old 06-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #11

drag bars

Hi. I hope that you are sitting down! It cost $6,000. Cdn but I think that it is worth it because I have now a beautiful suspension and top of the line tires. Also based on the original price of the trailer ($19,000. Cdn), I believe that the upgrade was worth it. So far I am very happy with the trailer after correcting some minor issues. Happy camping.
Marshall and Tania.
biker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:20 AM   #12

I have a 21ss Roo. I upgraded tires and that raised it 1/2" or so. I had to take off the stairs and the front stabilizers to get it down to the river on our mountain property. I did some work to the road so I didn't have to do it again on the way out. I worried about tip over when going at an angle down a steep pitch.