Old 05-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #1

Draining fresh water tank FR 26dbh

So I finally found the like to drain the fresh water tank on the 26dbh. Now my question is, is there an easier way to drain it since they put it in the most awkward place. Itís kind of hard to get to it with the axles being right there in front of it. Any ideas??

Greywolf 26dbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:51 PM   #2

I don't have your model, and my own drain outlet is a bit more convenient. However...

I went out and purchased a PVC cap, plug and ball valve (1/2"), as I found my cap missing the first time I went to put fresh water in my storage tank (I later found it in the WH compartment.)

You *could* get the same gear, plus a length of appropriate (PEX?) tubing, plumb the tubing in (a coupler is what you need here, I think), then mount your cap / valve appropriately past the axle housing. If you anticipate emptying the tank this way often, then the ball valve may turn out to be more convenient, rather than unscrewing the cap.

One last note - while the PVC cap that I got, screwed to the outlet smoothly w/o chafing, the ball valve threads did seem to chafe a bit - so I decided to just leave the cap on until I was able to get the correct PEX cap (and then I found it in the WH compartment, anyway.)

So - if you can find PEX equivalents of the same things, it's probably better (I could not, at my local Ace hardware, and it was either 'make do' temporarily, or not have running water for the weekend.)

Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #3

Thatís a great idea. I YouTubed it and seen a set up similar to as you explained. Do you think it would be okay to leave the water in the tank for a month or so. Or will it start to generate a smell?
Old 05-17-2018, 09:35 PM   #4

I thought I saw a post the other day where someone mentioned the water in his fresh tank started showing signs of algae after a few days. Given what I see in the retention pond outside my house (which is aerated), that's probably exacerbated in hot weather / summertime.

Personally, even if I hadn't seen that, I don't think I'd trust water left in the tank for 30 days, even if I didn't use it for drinking.

Actually about to see what happens after a week, tomorrow - I filled my tank on Saturday, and left it in when I brought the trailer back to storage on Monday - I didn't drain it before I left the campground on Sunday b/c I felt bad about wasting the water. And when I got back to the storage place, I forgot to drain it. So when I go back tomorrow, I'll try to remember to let you know if it looks like I need to sanitize my tank from leaving water in for a week.

PS: Also saw a thread here in the last week discussing whether following safe water rules was overblown, given how they / we likely behaved as kids. So take that into account, I suppose. But the world is a different place than it was 50 years ago, as well.
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:04 PM   #5

I havenít received a smell just yet but tomorrow I will figure out a way to get down there and drain it. We shall see. Fingers crossed and happy camping.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #6

Well I finally was able to get down to the valve and drain it last Friday No foul odor was released or anything. Iíd say Iím good to go
Old 05-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #7

This is what I did to my R-Pod water tank drain didnít want to get wet draining tankClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1769.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	172960
ShickshinnyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #8

I did something very similar to the picture posted by shickshinyjoe. i supported it by using an electrical hanger and metal plumbing pipe tape attached to the frame. put a 1/4 turn valve on the outside of the frame so i can just reach down to turn it. terminated the outflow from the valve with a male garden hose fitting so i can attach the utility hose to drain water away from the trailer.

Tags
26dbh, drain, fresh water, tank, water, water tank