Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #1

Electric Awning

Hello,

We just moved from a 23' Class C RV to a 29' Cherokee (Patriot Edition from AC Nelsen RV).

On our class C, the awning was manual. On the Cherokee, it is electric.

If I hold down the button to extend the awning, will it stop automatically when it is fully extended? Is there a chance I can over extend it?

Our new trailer is less than a month old and I don't want to break anything!

Thanks,
Dan
dewcew72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #2

I have a 28BH Patriot, and yes it stops on it's own. That said, I find it best to stop just shy of fully out. Seems to stay tighter. The only time I want it out fully, is if it rains. That helps make a "gutter" at the bottom and the water can be diverted to the rear by lowering that strut.
Enjoy your new camper!
Joel
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Id suggest leaving a quarter of a wrap on tube!
And not let it go till it stops the reason it stops
Is the motor dead heads and puts to much tension
On the awning fabric right at the tube and then it starts
to rip.
This much I know!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

The awning manual is pretty clear about leaving the awning material on top of the roller.

That "gutter" is a perfect pooling point for water. In a long awning, the water can belly the material and bend your roller tube even at a near maximum "cant" or slope.

In a heavy rain, no amount of slope will prevent damage to the seam stitching or accumulated damage to the roller.

Always stop extending with a quarter wrap on top of the roller and the accessory slot facing the camper (NEVER straight down).

This photo was of a member doing pop rivet repairs to his roller, but shows an overextended awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2713704920103306375S500x500Q85.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	12288  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #5

Thanks guys!! Just because I haven't had problems yet, doesn't mean I won't. I appreciate your explanation so I can take action.

Joel
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the quick reply. We are headed out this weekend for the maiden voyage.

Joel - I am also in Nebraska (Omaha). We are headed out to Louisville this weekend.
dewcew72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #7

Curious. I am thinking about the electric awning. When estended out can one side still be lowered slightly to aid rain run off and avoid water pocket pooling? Otherwise how do the newer electric awning systems handle this issue?
kjoh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yes it can be lowered like a manual awning "sloped"
Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoh75 View Post
Curious. I am thinking about the electric awning. When estended out can one side still be lowered slightly to aid rain run off and avoid water pocket pooling? Otherwise how do the newer electric awning systems handle this issue?
It depends on whether the "silent recall" has been done on your Dometic Powered Awning.

The electric awnings are "self dumping" by design.
Spring Struts hold the awning arms taut.

When water pools on top of the slide, the spring strut with the lowest tolerance collapses dumping water off the awning on that side and then re-extends itself when the weight of water lessens.

The problem was you had no idea which side that was going to be. A gust of wind could move it from one side to the other.

So, after many complaints, they changed the design of the lower awning support arms to allow you to "cant" the awning to one side or the other. The self dump still works but by having one side lower than the other, it will always "fail" to the low side. (this is the type I have)

I understand that if you ask, they will send the new slotted arms to you (or your dealer) for free BUT labor will not be included. I do not know this part first hand, it was in a previous thread on the topic.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
It depends on whether the "silent recall" has been done on your Dometic Powered Awning.

The electric awnings are "self dumping" by design.
Spring Struts hold the awning arms taut.

When water pools on top of the slide, the spring strut with the lowest tolerance collapses dumping water off the awning on that side and then re-extends itself when the weight of water lessens.

The problem was you had no idea which side that was going to be. A gust of wind could move it from one side to the other.

So, after many complaints, they changed the design of the lower awning support arms to allow you to "cant" the awning to one side or the other. The self dump still works but by having one side lower than the other, it will always "fail" to the low side. (this is the type I have)

I understand that if you ask, they will send the new slotted arms to you (or your dealer) for free BUT labor will not be included. I do not know this part first hand, it was in a previous thread on the topic.

Oppppps sorry I forgot about those who do not have slotted arms.
mine does. Thanks herk!

Tags
awning