Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2016, 10:48 AM   #1

Electrical/battery problem?

Hi, we bought a 2016 wolf pup 16 FQ last month. It has been sitting in our driveway since. I got in it this morning, nothing was working, lights, stereo, etc. The same thing happened a couple of weeks ago, and I hooked my tow vehicle up to it (electrical cable) and let it run for a while to charge the battery. After a while, I was able to get the electrical components to work. Today however, I tried the same thing, and still no power inside at all. The tail lights, turn signals, etc. work but nothing inside. Do I have a bad battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dstacy969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #2

UPDATE: I tried hooking up to "shore power" from my house. Everything inside worked. Then I unplugged from the house power, didn't change anything else, but everything is still working. Can anyone explain this?

Old 03-09-2016, 11:18 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If your unit is not used for a period of time the battery will go dead because of phantom electrical draws.

Battery needs disconnected

Battery disconnect needs to be off if you have one

Or you need to leave it plugged in 24/7

Battery cut off

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #4

Thanks. I don't believe I have a battery disconnect switch. I will disconnect the cables in the future, I guess. I still don't understand, though, why plugging it into the house power for a few minutes seemed to kind of "jumpstart" the battery power?

Old 03-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstacy969 View Post
Thanks. I don't believe I have a battery disconnect switch. I will disconnect the cables in the future, I guess. I still don't understand, though, why plugging it into the house power for a few minutes seemed to kind of "jumpstart" the battery power?

Your converter started supplying 12 volts from the shore power. It will also try to charge the battery, but it sounds like it is incapable of being charged. Leave it hooked to 120 volts for 24 hours. If there is no 12 volt when you disconnect, time for a new battery. Of course check the battery connections first.
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:49 AM   #6

Once the battery gets below 10.5 volts, throw away and get a new one if you want reliability.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #7

Okay. Thanks everyone. Seems there's plenty to learn about RVs, I look forward to it.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
Site Team

One of the top newbie mistakes is not being aware of all the parasitic power drains in modern RVs.
Installing a battery disconnect switch is a favorite mod and very simple.

a website that should be required reading for all newbies, is "the 12 Volt Side of Life I & II"
Google it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:38 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stank Bait View Post
Once the battery gets below 10.5 volts, throw away and get a new one if you want reliability.
Yep, just was checking out the battery on my Yamaha generator. It is a 12 volt "motorcycle" battery and the generator was put away with it fully charged.

I found it with 3.6 volts so I ordered a new one. Even my 4 stage battery charger couldn't bring it back to life.

I have to disassemble the generator to get to the battery. I also bought a battery minder so it will stay plugged in from now on.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:59 PM   #10
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Herk, why not add a couple jumper wires to battery posts so that the minder would/ will be easy to connect to...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Herk, why not add a couple jumper wires to battery posts so that the minder would/ will be easy to connect to...
That is the plan. I will be using Powerpole connectors on the battery minder so the connect/disconnect will be fast and easy.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
One of the top newbie mistakes is not being aware of all the parasitic power drains in modern RVs.
Installing a battery disconnect switch is a favorite mod and very simple.

a website that should be required reading for all newbies, is "the 12 Volt Side of Life I & II"
Google it.

I'll check it out, thanks!

Old 03-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #13

My dealer showed us this nice setup that worked great on our 21rb. The large hole was already in place just had to drill two mounting screw locations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	101532   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	101533  
firsthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Yep, just was checking out the battery on my Yamaha generator. It is a 12 volt "motorcycle" battery and the generator was put away with it fully charged.

I found it with 3.6 volts so I ordered a new one. Even my 4 stage battery charger couldn't bring it back to life.

I have to disassemble the generator to get to the battery. I also bought a battery minder so it will stay plugged in from now on.
Herk, read this article. It's the most definative on that "fourth" stage thing the're selling. Sure seems like the marketing of a four stage is a hoax to me.
Credit to another forum member for this contribiting article Answer To The Question: Battery Desulfators - Do They Work? - Blog | Impact Battery Blog Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #15

As a new owner you will find a volt-ohm meter will be a great addition to your tool kit. About $20-$30. That way you will be able to check battery voltage at the battery post and so many other problems that can be solved. The battery connections are frequent cause of new "failure" in vehicles and rv's of all types. Check them, make sure trip home didn't loosen up connection enough to cause intermittent problem so you can have confidence it will not reoccur..
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:48 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Herk, read this article. It's the most definative on that "fourth" stage thing the're selling. Sure seems like the marketing of a four stage is a hoax to me.
Credit to another forum member for this contribiting article Answer To The Question: Battery Desulfators - Do They Work? - Blog | Impact Battery Blog Just sayin'
I read that article all the way through and it seemed to me the opposite was true. They were only contraindicated in Lithium Batteries because they use a different Chemistry.

"PulseTech to the Rescue!

A few years back Pulse Tech patented a pulse frequency that would dissolve the crystalized sulfate and return it to its original form. And with that the first Battery Desulfator was born! The military was (and is) its primary customer. Their pulse frequency is a range from 22-28 KHz. That is roughly 22,000-28,000 pulses per second. The years of testing has produced empirical data that shows the effect on lead plates and validates their use as a battery desulfator."
Old 04-12-2016, 11:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Your converter started supplying 12 volts from the shore power. It will also try to charge the battery, but it sounds like it is incapable of being charged. Leave it hooked to 120 volts for 24 hours. If there is no 12 volt when you disconnect, time for a new battery. Of course check the battery connections first.

The problem seems to be solved. We've camped two weekends since then at campgrounds with electrical hook ups, and after the first weekend being on shore power all weekend, the battery seemed to be fine, and has been since.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #18

Electrical question

Should the battery cut-off switch be turned "off" or "on" when the RV is plugged into shore power and the battery is still in it?
Boomer1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:23 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1968 View Post
Should the battery cut-off switch be turned "off" or "on" when the RV is plugged into shore power and the battery is still in it?
ON. The converter charges the battery. The cut off switch is used to disconnect the battery when the unit is not connected to shore power when stored so the parasitic loads do not drain it. Be sure to have the switch on when towing as depending how it was installed, it may disable the break away braking if off.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:45 PM   #20

Thanks for the info...... Long time reader but never a poster.
Boomer1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, electric, electrical