Old 02-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Bull543 View Post
Thanks guys for the feedback... I pick the trailer this weekend and will take it up to nearby truckstop to weighand see what it comes in at.
If you have not already signed the papers, I strongly recommend that you do follow the posts on this thread before buying the trailer, and make sure your truck is up to the wheelbase, GVWR, and receiver hitch weights.

One question....I have the weight distrubtion bar coming with the tt....doesn't that cut the tongue weight in 1/2?
As Jeeplj8 indicated, the WDH will not cut your tongue weight in 1/2, or any other amount. Tongue weight does not change with a WDH.....all it does is distributes the weight to the front truck axle, and a little to the trailer axle.

Tongue weight is your friend. A minimum of 10% of the total trailer weight should be on the tongue, and 12 to 15% is better. That is why I am especially concerned with your receiver hitch rating.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #22
I am getting ready to buy first tt and was looking at a Grey Wolf 27BHKS. Dealer stated my Chevy Silverado 1500 would have no problem towing it. However, after reading some forums i am concerned maybe I don't have enough truck. My 1500 is an 2008 with a 5.3 engine and a 3.73 gear ratio. Its is rated at 7500lbs towing capacity. The Grey Wolf has a dry weight kusted at 5800lbs and max weight at 7800!

Has anybody had any experience towing these with similiar vehicle?
Welcome and I know you will enjoy the trailer. We have a 2011 Greywolf 26RL and tow it with our 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab had no problems towing so far. Had the brakes heat up one time but we were not towing at the time.

Welcome again!!!!!!!

Al and Deb
Sarge, Sugar and Ginger
2006 Silverado "Predator"
2011 Greywolf 26rl "Wounded Wolf"
camped 2013 94 days 2014 24 days

nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #23
Last year I pulled that same trailer with a 2000 silverado, ext. cab, 1/2 ton, 2wd, 4.8 V8, 3.55 gear. I absolutely hated going up any type of grade, good thing Kansas is fairly flat. I think with the 5.3, 3.73 gear ratio, and correct hitch it will pull it fine. Good luck and have fun.

On a side note, I have since upgraded to a 6.0 CC, 4x4 2500 hd. Huge difference in stability, braking, power, etc.
kansascamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #24
You may be fine but you soon notice that things add up quickly. We are pretty much at our limits with our Yukon XL we try to keep it light but wife and kids keep sneaking things in every year. by the end of the summer our Rig looks like the Clampetts (The Beverly Hillbillies ) Moving to California. It still tows fine around here but wouldn't take it across country. With that said I have to Remember 5 kids Every Year they get a little heavier which adds to the cutting it even closer. Put as much stuff as you think you will carry then add some and then weigh in. If you know your limit it is easier to calculate what you can do without than it is ...well I can add this and this..
2006 Cherokee Lite 28A
2000 GMC Yukon XL
1 Wife 2 Sons 3 Daughters
2012 Days Camping 17 Practiced Camping in the yard 5/5/2012
shawnj72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #25
I tow the exact same TT with my 2011 Silverado extended 4x4 5.3l and I believe same gear ratio's...I do have the Equalizer weight distributing hitch for 10,000 lbs, and it tows just fine with it. I have towed the TT without hitch weight hitch connected for short distances to and from storage facility, and it does get a little squirrelly depending on the wind.

IllinoisCamperCpl is offline   Reply With Quote