Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #1

Red face FEMA trailer

Hi everybody, my husband and I bought a 2005 Cherokee 27L at a Ritchie Brothers auction in Fort Worth on Friday. It was used for temporary housing in LA. after Katrina. The paper work from FEMA shows it was used by one individual and was set up behind a restaurant in Belle Chasse LA. The only thing wrong was it is missing a spare tire and rack. The trailer is brand new on the inside, there is no mold or mildew smell. Some of the trailers that were there we wouldn't even go into when we opened the door, they smelled so bad. This one looks like the bathroom was never used, I don't think it was because the original stickers and information for the toilet and shower were still in the cabinet in the plastic bag. The trailer was hardly used and was in a dry location because there is no sign of moisture build up much less any damage to it. The more I go over it the more amazed I am of the condition.
Does anyone here have any experience with buying a FEMA trailer?
Any Advice?

Thanks
Janice Berry
berryj26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #2

Hi Janice,

Welcome to FRF. Congrats on your purchase.

I'd like to see this trailer. Can you post a picture of it?
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #3

Yes, I will start taking pictures tomorrow and get them posted.
berryj26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
Site Team

Some FEMA trailers were shipped without holding tanks because
it was assumed they would be used long term and connected
to sewers.

Does your trailer have waste water holding tanks?
Does it have a fresh water tank and a 12v water pump?
Does it have an RV 12v/LP gas refrigerator or a traditional
120v compressor type refrigerator?

Some FEMA trailers had issues with the glue in the plywood
and the foam in the cushions outgassing and causing health
issues with occupants.

MY new non-fema trailer used to make our eyes water and our
throats burn when we entered after it had been shut up for
a time.
We now have roof fan vent covers that allow us to leave the roof
vents open 24/7/365.
This has completely eliminated any eye burning or other air
quality issues.

I just recommend always having some sort of ventilation in
your "new" trailer.

Welcome to the group!!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Since it is listed as a 2005 model, I don't think out gassing will be a problem. The problem with the out gassing and the FEMA trailers, AMPLFIED by the news media, was the trailers left the factory, went to New Orleans, and people moved in, turned the AC on, and stayed inside them. All trailers have some out gassing of the carpet, glues, flooring, etc., and so do cars. Cars are monitored by the EPA so I've been told, not verified. Out gassing should only be a problem today for those that order a NEW trailer, pick it up and move in immediately. Just remember you're camping, open the windows and enjoy the air.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #6

Congrats and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you may have gotten a real good trailer. Hope you have many fun and trouble free trips!!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #7

Sounds like yours is in great condition! My wife's sister bought a FEMA trailer, a Cherokee as well, that was still new, never delivered on site, and the quality is not all that great, at least on theirs. It does have a larger refrigerator, and a bigger stove/oven combo, but the bunks in the bedroom are VERY confining, and there's no slideouts, so there isn't a lot of floor space. Also very cheaply made furniture. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #8

the cherokee's that were built were standard units not stripped down models like a lot of the other ones. good brand so if the price works you should be happy wth the quality.
commander ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #9

I pick one up at an auction

I just picked one up an I am jazzed.

I was intending to get one that needed work to be used as a hunting camp.

To my surprise I picked one up for 2100 that was in mint condition. I do not think it was even used (if it was used it was for a very short duration). There are no scuffs on the floor and the stove is clean.

It is a Forest River, Bunk House model.

Here is the list of things I will need to repair.
  1. Add floor vents (it looks like someone removed them).
  2. Replace missing lenses on two of the running lights.
  3. Replace the missing mattress in the BR. The bunk mattress were still in plastic.
  4. The vent fan does not turn on.
  5. Put fittings of sewer pipe.
So far the mattress is going to be the big expense unless I add tanks.

I have checked all of the lights, the converter, AC, fridge.
It came with a deep cycle battery and propane tanks. The battery charged right up.

I still need to check the WH and Furnace, both are Suburban models. Although the anode/plug was removed which leads me to believe that the water was at least drained before storage.

After my wife got a look at it, she has decided that it does not need to stay at the farm to much.

I am interested in adding tanks to make it self contained. I looked under it and there is plenty of room.

As far as I can tell the big difference between this trailer and a dealer model is the Porcelain Toilet, Fridge, general finish (not bad but not high end), smaller and less windows (no big deal for a hunting camp) and the lack of tanks.

I looked at the Cavalier models and in my opinion the Forest River model is better. Your right some of them were in pretty bad shape (mold, pets, bullet holes). Others were unused but had water damage from storage.

If anyone has information on how to add tanks please let me know. It looks to be pretty basic plumbing. I am wondering on the best way to solidly mount the tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0072.jpg
Views:	3128
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	2576   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0065.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	2577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0082.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	2578  
kanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:14 AM   #10
Site Team

The bath vent in some trailers is controlled by the wall switch
that can also turn on the light. Try the wall switch and make
sure the room light is on then try the vent switch on the fan
itself.

Do you have fresh water tank and 12v water pump??
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #11

Exhaust fan

I did not spend to much time looking into it. I don't remember if I tried the light switch and the fan at the same time. I know the light works.

There is no water tank or pump installed. There are 4-5 12v circuits unused at the converter.

My daughter has taken to calling the camper "The White House" because it is white and public housing.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #12

Kanati....we just purchased what looks like the same exact trailer (although for substantially more) here in central Texas. I'd be interested to know how things go for you and especially if you track down parts etc. Ours is in good condition but appears to have been lived in but not for long. I would like to know if there's a way to track the history.
callmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #13

Janice..congrats on the purchase. We almost went to RB Auction in Houston last week but have been before and it's always a crap shoot. If you don't mind me asking what did you have to pay for the trailer? We just put a down payment on one that's the same as Kanati's but I have no idea what model it is. Good luck and keep us posted on how things go...
callmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #14

I paid 2100 at an auction here in Nashville. I think the go cheaper closer to the Gulf.

The one I got is in very good condition and was made in 2008. It is basically a Cherokee Bunk House model. At least that is what the papers say.

Some of the ones I saw needed a little work. Mostly things like moldy carpet and soft floors. There were a few that still had the tags and stickers affixed and had a soft spot by the door. I figure this was a un-used camper that got wet in storage.

So far I have spent maybe 10 - 20 dollars on things like a floor vents, light bulb and the fan switch in the bathroom.

The only thing I have not checked yet is the Microwave, Water-heater and furnace.

I have not taken the propane tanks to be filled yet. There was only enough to test the stove and range tops.

Whoever put it in storage took care to winterize it. The WH by-pass was set, the Anode/plug was pulled out and place by the WH. The waterline drain plugs were placed with the WH. Every thing was completely drained.

Tags
cherokee