Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbanga01 View Post
Me and my 2 kids took my 2018 26DBH on about a 25 mile trip to the Indiana Dunes/ Lake Michigan.

First question is probably not 26DBH specific, but is there any reason, switch, power button that would prevent the microwave from powering on at all? Was planning to microwave quite a bit of food and tomorrow and it’s looking like that won’t be an option as it’s dead as could be.

Secondly, I knew I wasn’t buying a top notch trailer, but this was the first time I drove it. Was particular to make sure all drawers were closed, etc. One of the large drawers under the dinette swung out and now the front door is all ruined and the stove won’t open. It appears the latch on the drawer is defective. Should I presume the dealership will refuse to fix this damage? I’m not sure how good warranties are on travel trailers. I understand it’s getting used and it’ll get scratches, etc. but now the entire front door front is cracked and bashed in.

Thanks for any help!
Hey, i think i saw you at the dunes, Im the one with the 2019 294bh with the Ford excursion above post I was in spot 18. that was my first day. too then i drove back to my hometown Chandler, Arizona truck and trailer did amazing cross country. i did have to replice the cheap trailer tires 50 miles out. they made the truck and trailer bounce like crazy i got goodyears trailer tires.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180517_133224.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	173047Click image for larger version

Name:	20180516_143303.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	173048
bhirmiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:05 AM   #22

So I am a bit of an electrical guy... not an electrician- but I pretend on weekends. And in power outages.

This camper, and mine, and all that are 30amp service are limited in the amount of power coming to them.
Our 30amp service is basically two 110volt lines, each at 15amps of service... Hence the 30amp rating. This service provides us with 3,600watts of power- 1,800watts per line.
A microwave and a fireplace (electric heater) are going to use around 1,000watts each. The reason we can't run both at the same time is because we would go over the 1,800watt max and start tripping the breakers.

But wait!
Why did they put them on the same line and not separate them so we don't have to keep switching?
This too makes sense... We have many other appliances, lights, and the big ones- an ELECTRIC WATER HEATER AND AIR CONDITIONING. These will use A LOT of power. And they designed the camper so we wouldn't need to keep shutting down the water heater or AC to use the fireplace/microwave.

Electricity is a fickle lady... but once you understand her basic rules its not too bad. Just don't cross her... No really, don't cross two 110v lines- it hurts. A lot.

*Side note- 50 amp service is darn near a house. It is 12,000watts of power split into two 6,000watt lines. While some campers use it, it is A LOT of power coming in.
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralMePistol View Post
So I am a bit of an electrical guy... not an electrician- but I pretend on weekends. And in power outages.
  • This camper, and mine, and all that are 30amp service are limited in the amount of power coming to them.
  • Our 30amp service is basically two 110volt lines, each at 15amps of service... Hence the 30amp rating.
This service provides us with 3,600watts of power- 1,800watts per line.
A microwave and a fireplace (electric heater) are going to use around 1,000watts each. The reason we can't run both at the same time is because we would go over the 1,800watt max and start tripping the breakers.

But wait!
Why did they put them on the same line and not separate them so we don't have to keep switching?
This too makes sense... We have many other appliances, lights, and the big ones- an ELECTRIC WATER HEATER AND AIR CONDITIONING. These will use A LOT of power. And they designed the camper so we wouldn't need to keep shutting down the water heater or AC to use the fireplace/microwave.

Electricity is a fickle lady... but once you understand her basic rules its not too bad. Just don't cross her... No really, don't cross two 110v lines- it hurts. A lot.

*Side note- 50 amp service is darn near a house. It is 12,000watts of power split into two 6,000watt lines. While some campers use it, it is A LOT of power coming in.
Hold it. Stop right here. This is MISINFORMATION! Stick to your day job. A 30 amp service is 30 amps 120 volts 1 hot, 1 neutral, and 1 ground. It is not spread across two legs.

A 50 amp service is 2 hots (50 amps each) 230 volts 1 neutral and a ground. 50 amps on each leg. That 100 amps total. The 50 amp panel is made in such a way that you can't access 230 from it. (at least not without deliberately doing it)

Never plug your 30 amp trailer into a 30 amp outlet with 2 hot legs.

(think dryer or welder outlet)
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijola View Post
Mine is right where your DVD of oc3ans eleven is

How did you know what movie that was? You must have some good eyes
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Hold it. Stop right here. This is MISINFORMATION! Stick to your day job. A 30 amp service is 30 amps 120 volts 1 hot, 1 neutral, and 1 ground. It is not spread across two legs.

A 50 amp service is 2 hots (50 amps each) 230 volts 1 neutral and a ground. 50 amps on each leg. That 100 amps total. The 50 amp panel is made in such a way that you can't access 230 from it. (at least not without deliberately doing it)

Never plug your 30 amp trailer into a 30 amp outlet with 2 hot legs.

(think dryer or welder outlet)

THANK YOU!!
I have not, and do not intend to, enter the electrical work of the trailer. I was making some assumptions based on generator power with two hot legs. Which as I type generator service includes four lines, two hot, neutral, and ground. The trailer 30 amp has just three.
I truly do appreciate you correcting my incorrect information.

I would delete it so people don't get confused, but hopefully multiple posts on it now will show the importance of getting the facts right!

And learning that 50amp service is TWO 50 amp lines... yikes! that is a small house!

*Can I assume the concept of overloading (tripping breakers) based on the high wattage of the two appliances is correct? Clearly my assumption before was wrong so I wanted to clarify for my own information.

Days Traveled:2021-51 / 2020-43 / 2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralMePistol View Post
THANK YOU!!
I have not, and do not intend to, enter the electrical work of the trailer. I was making some assumptions based on generator power with two hot legs. Which as I type generator service includes four lines, two hot, neutral, and ground. The trailer 30 amp has just three.
I truly do appreciate you correcting my incorrect information.

I would delete it so people don't get confused, but hopefully multiple posts on it now will show the importance of getting the facts right!

And learning that 50amp service is TWO 50 amp lines... yikes! that is a small house!

*Can I assume the concept of overloading (tripping breakers) based on the high wattage of the two appliances is correct? Clearly my assumption before was wrong so I wanted to clarify for my own information.
Well, you have the right idea how it works. It is a little confusing. They call it a 50 amp service but in reality, it is a 100 amp 120-volt service. Where 30 amps is just 30 amp 120-volt service. One would be hard-pressed to trip a main breaker in the trailer with a 50 amp service. But they do limit its use hence the switch between the fireplace and the micro wave. Now if they installed a 12/24 panel instead of a 8/16 there would be no problems.

The camp pedestal is most likely a 100 230 volt service but the 230 volt is not accessible in your trailer.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mch5jdm View Post
This is so weird... I’ve looked everywhere for it. Mine has a remote. Would that make a difference? This weekend when hooked to 30 I’m going to try both and see what happens.

I saw this thread and tested our 2019 26DBH Limited last weekend, but forgot to report my findings.

A story first -

While waiting for deliver of our unit, we were all over the internet watching videos about it and checking out this forum. We looked for the switch upon delivery where others have said it is - not there!

The guy running us through inspection said "they must have wired in different so you can run both!" BS, still only a 30 amp camper. (I WILL NOT discuss our delivery and the dealership at this time).

So - I ran my test and whenever I turned on the microwave the fireplace will shutdown. When I shut off the micro I noticed a small "flash" from the fireplace showing power had been restored. I still had to turn it on, however.

It must be magic!

More likely they've installed an override relay. They both work just fine.
Robbie D. Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie D. Camper View Post
I saw this thread and tested our 2019 26DBH Limited last weekend, but forgot to report my findings.

A story first -

While waiting for deliver of our unit, we were all over the internet watching videos about it and checking out this forum. We looked for the switch upon delivery where others have said it is - not there!

The guy running us through inspection said "they must have wired in different so you can run both!" BS, still only a 30 amp camper. (I WILL NOT discuss our delivery and the dealership at this time).

So - I ran my test and whenever I turned on the microwave the fireplace will shutdown. When I shut off the micro I noticed a small "flash" from the fireplace showing power had been restored. I still had to turn it on, however.

It must be magic!

More likely they've installed an override relay. They both work just fine.

Same findings too! Searched high and low - no dice. But my 2018 23DBH is the same.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhirmiz View Post
Hey, i think i saw you at the dunes, Im the one with the 2019 294bh with the Ford excursion above post I was in spot 18. that was my first day. too then i drove back to my hometown Chandler, Arizona truck and trailer did amazing cross country. i did have to replice the cheap trailer tires 50 miles out. they made the truck and trailer bounce like crazy i got goodyears trailer tires.Attachment 173047Attachment 173048
Small world, I think I did see your unit! Nice setup. Glad to hear it made it across the country safely, and good to know about tires if I ever plan on a long trip.

How is your fit and finish? This is my first travel trailer so obviously a lot of my complaints are probably universal across most brands, but I can’t believe
How terrible the quality is on many items.

My back door popped open once while I was driving, and then when I got to my seasonal site yesterday the person behind me said they closed the back door too because it was wide open. God knows for how long.

Also, does the bathroom fan have some hidden switch like the fireplace/ microwave. My switch on the ceiling doesn’t do anything.

Thanks in advance.
Nbanga01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Small world, I think I did see your unit! Nice setup. Glad to hear it made it across the country safely, and good to know about tires if I ever plan on a long trip.

How is your fit and finish? This is my first travel trailer so obviously a lot of my complaints are probably universal across most brands, but I can’t believe

My back door popped open once while I was driving, and then when I got to my seasonal site yesterday the person behind me said they closed the back door too because it was wide open. God knows for how long.

Also, does the bathroom fan have some hidden switch like the fireplace/ microwave. My switch on the ceiling doesn’t do anything.

Thanks in advance.
I often lock my door deadbolt so they don't open when traveling.
1995 GMC Yukon Sport
1986 Jayco1016PUP
Days Camped:'13-10 '14-20 '15-6 '16-9 '17-14 '18-3 '19-12 '20-14 '21-12
XenoRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:23 PM   #31

It was open when it popped open. ����
Old 05-27-2018, 11:51 PM   #32

Quote:
It was open when it popped open. ����
which door are you talking about. i lock the dead bolta on both my exterior doors. it is common that the doors pop open on most travel trailer when not dead bolted and locked. the trailer flexes so much that if you ever put a camera inside from the fireplace and face it to the back and record it you will see the whole thing flex like and full time earthquake. it is amazing how they still hold together. mine was ok , drive was awesome did not feel the trailer behind me. the night i state at the indian dunes . i closed the doors on my bedroom and with the heat on it was soooooo cold. in the bed room. and also ouside kitchen big double door frig lag olders need another scrow to keep it in place.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhirmiz View Post
which door are you talking about. i lock the dead bolta on both my exterior doors. it is common that the doors pop open on most travel trailer when not dead bolted and locked. the trailer flexes so much that if you ever put a camera inside from the fireplace and face it to the back and record it you will see the whole thing flex like and full time earthquake. it is amazing how they still hold together. mine was ok , drive was awesome did not feel the trailer behind me. the night i state at the indian dunes . i closed the doors on my bedroom and with the heat on it was soooooo cold. in the bed room. and also ouside kitchen big double door frig lag olders need another scrow to keep it in place.
The exterior door of my camper on the back (enters into the bathroom) popped open while I was driving once (while deadbolt) and while it was parked at my seasonal site.

The night I parked at the Dunes, I used the electric fireplace and it seemed to work pretty well. I have yet to use the regular / propane heat. Does it come out at the same place as the air conditioning?
Old 05-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #34

Quote:
The exterior door of my camper on the back (enters into the bathroom) popped open while I was driving once (while deadbolt) and while it was parked at my seasonal site.

The night I parked at the Dunes, I used the electric fireplace and it seemed to work pretty well. I have yet to use the regular / propane heat. Does it come out at the same place as the air conditioning?
no the ac is the top. vents
Old 05-30-2018, 09:37 PM   #35

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
So I’ll chime in here as I have he same camper and we’ve been out twice with it, I say we as it me, wife, two little kids and a dog. So I’ll comment on the bars I’ve noticed with mine. First sure there was sawdust in some places but that’s minor, on ours the back door to the bathroom when it gets warm in the daylight obviously expands and the screen door hits the latch bracket so it barely opens so rendering the back door to the bathroom unuseable as it won’t then close or latch all the way and it could be why your door keeps coming open. They need to reseat the screen door in mine so it moves smoothly across the door latch and then the main door will close. Look at yours when it’s warm out may be the same prob, otherwise I have no issues with our camper we very much love it.

Oh the bathroom fan has two swithces, the main switch has your 0-3 settings then there’s another knob opposite the main switch, you can leave your fan to your selected speed ie 1-3 and just open the vent with the other knob and it automatically turns the fan on as the vent opens. I think this is what your asking about if not I’ll try to help best as I can as I’m still getting used to the things on our camper.
Olotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:03 AM   #36

I'm posting to this old thread because I wound up here trying to figure out why my 2019 26dbh has no power to either the fireplace or the microwave. That's both are without power. After wasting a bunch of time searching for a switch and searching the internet, I finally took it in. There is no switch. But behind the breaker box, there is a .....thing (small circuit board with wires and whatnot), that functions to prevent you from being able to run the microwave and fireplace simultaneously. Why they didn't just put in a switch, I have no idea. Anyway, the dealer showed me that it had power coming to this circuit board, but virtually none coming out of it. It's shot. No idea how that happened. But just wanted to let people know there may not be a switch. And these things do go bad..... sometimes in under 11 months.
normynull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:22 PM   #37

Live the Indiana dunes. I’m local there if you need anything
Sarjent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #38

My switch is located on the side of my upper kitchen cabinet.
Pmillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:23 PM   #39

No microwave

Our control board for microwave/fireplace failed in the 3rd month. Apparently dealer is having trouble getting a replacement from Forest river.
Stellanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:33 PM   #40
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanor View Post
Our control board for microwave/fireplace failed in the 3rd month. Apparently dealer is having trouble getting a replacement from Forest river.
They probably aren't. Reach out directly to your brand and ask them what's the status. Dealers are notorious for blaming the manufacturer when that's only true some of the time.

Tags
26dbh