Old 08-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #1

First time buyer

Hello, First time buyer looking at wolf Pup 16 PF. I have searched and not really found any good feedback on this model. Anybody have any feedback? Looking for an inexpensive trailer my wife and I can go camping in. 3-4 times a year. Also curious if anybody has pics of a pull out awning on one of these, in California and will be camping in the mountains were debris is likely to be on top of the slide out. Open to any feedback even on other makes. Need to keep budget under 20k. I do realize you get what you pay for. We have been tent campers for 20 years and just need something a little easier to deal with.
Thanks

Nova 404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #2

First time buyer

One can get a lot of TT for $20k. If you pick the type/style you like...go to RV Wholesalers website and build your RV to get a price. This will tell you how far your 20k will go. Now you are on west coast and they are in Ohio. There should be someone who can tell you of some closer.

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:13 PM   #3

No feedback on that line or model. But looking at the floor plan one thing to think about is that with the slide in you can probably only get to the bed.

I've been impressed with the build quality and customer service for my 2014 Prime Time Avenger 21RB. Check out the Prime Time Navi line. It looks like the 16FQ or 16RD might meet your needs.

I have a bias against slide outs. If you read the forums they are probably the number one source of complaints/problems, from mechanical issues to leaks that can quickly cause water damage.

Good luck!

Keith
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #4

We both really like the walk around front queen feature. Very limited on brands/models with this feature. Need to keep it under 17 feet (box) due to storage at our home. Also seems like pricing out west is quite a big higher than back east. :-(
Old 08-10-2019, 12:21 PM   #5

Thank you Keith , I am also apprehensive of the slide out. I have seen that they can be a PIA and potential for leaks is high. It is a very small put out that might save some of the Mechanical all issue maybe. We have been discussing this pullout issue
Old 08-10-2019, 12:28 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 404 View Post
We both really like the walk around front queen feature. Very limited on brands/models with this feature. Need to keep it under 17 feet (box) due to storage at our home. Also seems like pricing out west is quite a big higher than back east. :-(
Nova, you're quite right about West Coast pricing. We refused to be blackmailed by dealers out here and drove to the Midwest to get our new HTT. Made a camping trip out of the return leg. Saved over $4000 on a $22k MSRP trailer, even after trip costs. FR found us numerous local dealers willing to do the warranty work.
The vast majority of owners with slideouts love them and have no issues with them.
You have to realize the most join RV forums because they're looking for help with an issue. Those that don't have issues, often don't join a Forum. And rarely does an owner post "Hey I don't have any issues with my RV".
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #7

You're welcome. I see what you're saying about prices out west. A quick search for the Navi 16FQ on rvtrader.com revealed you can get it for 12900 in Missouri and the one listing I saw in CA was 15995.

Another thought, it will be hard to find in the length you are looking at, but a double axle trailer pulls much better than a single axle trailer. Plus, in the event you do have a blowout you have three tires to support the trailer. Either way I'd replace the OEM tires manufactured in China asap. They are called "China bombs" on these forums for a reason.

Keith
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #8

Thanks for the input guys. In looking around there are very few 17ft or smaller dual axle trailers available. I have heard singles are “bouncy” any ideas If a weight distributing hitch improves this? If I was planning on traveling coast to Coast I’m sure a tandem axle would be the ticket. We travel 3-4 hours away for most of our trips. I do have a sway cont that I use on my car trailer
Old 08-10-2019, 01:37 PM   #9

We tow a 15RB with single axle all over. Did 10,000 miles of towing last year with a Husky WDH with sway bar. Towed just fine.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #10

We have a Wolf Pup 18TO. It's not bouncy at all. Tows very well and has tons of room with the slide open.
“Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” - Theodore Roosevelt

TV: 2003 F250 V10 4X4
TT: 2019 Wolf Pup 18TO Black Label
Maticuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #11

We recently bought a wolf pup 17jg. It looks to be the same layout as the one you are looking at, but ours has bunk beds in the back. We've been on 2 trips with it and worked out great for my wife, 5 year old daughter, and I. The dealer talked us into adding a retractable awning over the slideout which would help with the debris on top. I probably could have saved myself some money by putting it on myself, but I wasn't too keen on putting holes in my new TT. Plus they had it done by the time I had the paperwork signed. I go back and forth about the single axle vs tandem axle and agree with everyone that the tandem axle would be better, but we were also limited on space for storage. With that said, I have had no problems towing it with a 1/2 ton sierra with wdh and anti sway. If you don't need the bunks for any kids, I would say the 16pf would be a good choice. The 18to looks nice too. We just wanted a way to make both of our beds before we left home and not have to pick them up every time we wanted to eat or sit around the table. I'm new to this too, so my opinion may not matter as other more seasoned veterans.
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:13 PM   #12

Zephyr thanks for the input. Do you have any pictures of the slide out cover installed? Is yours an aluminum sided trailer or FB? Would you be willing the share what they charged you for the cover? Or PM me.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #13

Ours is aluminum siding. I think we paid $500 for the slideout awning and vent fan cover installed. I'll take a pic of it when I get home tonight and see if I can't figure out how to post it on here. It basically looks like a small version of the electric awning on the other side of our TT, only the slideout is what moves it in and out. The sales pitch to me was that any debris on top of the awning would roll off when retracting the slideout. Plus I figured it wouldn't hurt to help against water leaks.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:22 PM   #14

Hopped on the mower as soon as I got home and almost forgot the pictures. First time on these forums, so hopefully the pics will show up. Still learning the ropes. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Been tent camping for a lot of years, but I’m a first time buyer of a TT just like you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13806949-52FE-496D-9BE0-58B1FBBFC74D.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	212607   Click image for larger version

Name:	77911187-8D83-49EC-BFBD-D4F36FF66179.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	212608   Click image for larger version

Name:	0260F398-72CA-4C9E-A297-C5EDB6FDC175.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	394.1 KB
ID:	212609  
Old 08-16-2019, 07:35 PM   #15

Awesome, I was concerned about how it attached to the corrugated siding. I agree should help with water and save having to sweep the top of the pull out. Hope to get back to searching after the holiday weekend. Wish pricing was as good out here as it is back your way.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. In looking around there are very few 17ft or smaller dual axle trailers available. I have heard singles are “bouncy” any ideas If a weight distributing hitch improves this? If I was planning on traveling coast to Coast I’m sure a tandem axle would be the ticket. We travel 3-4 hours away for most of our trips. I do have a sway cont that I use on my car trailer
I haven't had any issues with bounce or other movement while towing my Wolf Pup unless my tanks have water (1/2 full tanks are the worst). Depending on what your tow vehicle is, weight distribution may be a requirement for safe towing. I use weight distribution and its required for me. At speeds below 60mph, I hardly feel the trailer back there.
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:06 AM   #17

Thanks, I will be towing with An 06 F150 crew with the HD tow package. Question on WDH are the bars matched to the trailer weight/tongue weight? Reason I’m asking is I have started looking at new and used weight distributing hitches.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:42 AM   #18

The trailer in question appears to be a stick and siding trailer meaning there's wood framing covered with aluminum siding -- like a cheap shed. It's also a fully enclosed travel trailer meaning it's an airless box -- not camping for us.

If you've been happy tent camping you should look first at a popups and hybrids. Both put the beds under the tents so you're still camping and not "RV-ing." Many of these, like the Roo/Shamrock, etc. are constructed with solid, laminated one-piece walls and roofs. The advice to buy your second camper first applies. That also means buy your second tow vehicle first.

We went from tent to popup to hybrid in less than 4 years. Still using our 2006 Roo 23SS.

Here's the Roo 19 which seems to fit what you want easily:

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=gZkNq2Zfynv

-- Chuck
Old 08-18-2019, 09:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks, I will be towing with An 06 F150 crew with the HD tow package. Question on WDH are the bars matched to the trailer weight/tongue weight? Reason I’m asking is I have started looking at new and used weight distributing hitches.
If you're going for the bar type then yes, the bars are matched to the tongue weight. You want to get a WDH that is rated for a bit more than your max possible tongue weight, but not a lot more. I found eTrailer to be a great resource for WDH research. www.etrailer.com
“Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” - Theodore Roosevelt

TV: 2003 F250 V10 4X4
TT: 2019 Wolf Pup 18TO Black Label
Maticuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:07 PM   #20

Thanks, I have been reading up on this since posting. Was thinking I might find something used but most are for a much heavier trailer. Also wanting to educate myself if the RV place tries to over/under sell me on the hitch

Tags
first time