Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2018, 12:40 AM   #1

First Trip with Grey Wolf 17BH Not Good

I drove my Grey Wolf a few times locally at night to get used to it. Seemed fine. Top speed was 50mph.

I added 10gal of water to the gray tank which was empty. Figured that's all I need for an overnight trip. I think it all got pumped into the water heater because the faucets started working all the air out and then stopped pumping water totally. The tank level light (4 lights) was on light #2 initially. I checked again later after trying to get the air out of the system and just light #1 was lit. I had no water on my trip, that was OK I was at a friends cottage.

The big issue was the overall weight / tongue weight. I put my motorcycle on the rear fold down "Shelf" (Shero ST250 Trials bike). Cycle weighs about 160lbs. When I first left home I took some side roads instead of the freeway. Camper felt different than my test trips, less stable, bouncy. Only difference was the cycle, the 10 gallons of water, and the 25mph head wind. I figured I took too much weight off the tongue. I moved some items from the rear TT storage to the front TT storage area. The bounce pretty much went away. I drove about 130 miles at around 60mph in a 70mph speed limit into a head wind. My Highlander V6 struggled. Wasn't bad at 60 but I doubt it could do 70. Gas mileage went from normal 22.6 to 10.1.

I took the Highlander in to my Toyota dealer today and had the transmission firmware updated. Don't know if this will help with towing, but I could tell immediately it was much smoother, especially at low speeds it used to hesitate. They gave me a printout of the tire wear and said 3 of the 4 tires are a 6/10. I just had them checked a month ago and they were all 8 or 9. Could I have added that much wear in 2 days if the load was out of balance?

I am wondering if a tongue weight scale would help me. I have a new shiny WEN 3100W generator that needs to go with me in the future. I need to know where to put it. It will not fit in the storage areas (too tall).

I have a CAT scale location about 15 min away if I need to determine axle weights.

I sure hope the problem is that the Highlander just can't pull my Grey Wolf. I just bought the Highlander in April.

I want to take the TT to this same location this Friday but I am afraid to. Please help
RCSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:25 AM   #2

You didn't mention the type of hitch you are using if its a WDH double check the setup and ensure it is correct. Depending on where your water tank is can have a big difference on how the rig trails. Tongue weight needs to be somewhere >10% of the trailer weight. Tire wear can be affected by many things especially air pressure you may need to increase the pressure when towing your rig.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #3

Thanks for the help! I'll take pictures when I am hooked up to the TT, hopefully later today. This is close to the hitch I have

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/17300

Mine is older and slightly different (the 2 large bolt holes are higher).
RCSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I'm also thinking that maybe your WDH wasn't correctly adjusted for the load.

Plus I think your tow vehicle isn't enough truck.

And one other thought...that fold-down rear bumper probably isn't strong enough for a motorcycle.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #5

What you want to do with your water before you leave home is to prime the plumbing.

In other words, when you fill the fresh water tank you also want to hook up to the city water of your Wolf to fill the water pipes and the water heater so that when you start using the fresh water tank you won't waste that water on filling up the trailer plumbing.

Which, as you found out, used up your fresh water supply.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I'm also thinking that maybe your WDH wasn't correctly adjusted for the load.

Plus I think your tow vehicle isn't enough truck.

And one other thought...that fold-down rear bumper probably isn't strong enough for a motorcycle.
It should hold about 200lbs. That's about the standard for those types of fold down carriers. That's what mine rated at.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Putting all that weight on the back of the trailer, you would have removed a significant part of the tongue weight. Moving stuff forward like you did put some weight back, which was why it was a little better. If you intend to always take the motorcycle, then you'll need to load it up, and then setup the WDH as per your WDH's manufacturer's instructions.

As far as 60 vs 70, 60's a good speed. You'll have to check your specific tires, but a lot of the ST tires out there are speed limited to 65 anyways.

And 10 MPG is actually pretty good, you'll never see anywhere close to the 22 you see unloaded, as you're dragging a huge billboard behind you. I only get a little less than 8 (7.8-7.9) towing my fifth wheel. With my TT, I got around 9.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #8
Shelley

Reply about priming the plumbing

Quote:
What you want to do with your water before you leave home is to prime the plumbing.

In other words, when you fill the fresh water tank you also want to hook up to the city water of your Wolf to fill the water pipes and the water heater so that when you start using the fresh water tank you won't waste that water on filling up the trailer plumbing.

Which, as you found out, used up your fresh water supply.

Wow! I'm still a newbie (1 year ownership and use), and I had no idea about doing this. I kept wondering why we were going through our water so fast!!! And, since you are extremely knowledgeable, can you help explain something for me? My husband insists if we hook up to city water, it will fill up our big water tank -- and this is why he won't use city water! Is there a way to use city water without filling up your freshwater holding tank?

Frustrated wife.
Shelley
Old 09-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBurson View Post
Wow! I'm still a newbie (1 year ownership and use), and I had no idea about doing this. I kept wondering why we were going through our water so fast!!! And, since you are extremely knowledgeable, can you help explain something for me? My husband insists if we hook up to city water, it will fill up our big water tank -- and this is why he won't use city water! Is there a way to use city water without filling up your freshwater holding tank?

Frustrated wife.
Shelley
There's a 1-way (check) valve in the water pump that's specifically supposed to prevent you from putting water in the tank on city water. If your tank is filling up, then that valve is broken and needs replacing.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:45 PM   #10

Your highlander is only rated to tow 5,000 lbs and your trailer is over 7,500 lbs. You need a different tow vehicle in my opinion
TerryLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #11

Quote:
My husband insists if we hook up to city water, it will fill up our big water tank -- and this is why he won't use city water! Is there a way to use city water without filling up your freshwater holding tank?

Frustrated wife.
Shelley
As has been mentioned, it sounds like the check valve inside the water pump is bad.

Instead of replacing the water pump you can buy a brass check valve at Camping World or any other RV parts store for under $15 that will be much better than the one built in to your water pump.

I just did this to my 5'ver back in April...here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterpumpCheckValve-P4161994.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	186150   Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterpumpCheckValve-P4161999.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	186151  
Old 09-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryLittle View Post
Your highlander is only rated to tow 5,000 lbs and your trailer is over 7,500 lbs. You need a different tow vehicle in my opinion
That is the GTWR. Specs state 3888 pounds dry weight. So with minimal loading, he can stay with his TV specs. Yes, a higher capacity TV would be MUCH better.

OP, your hot water heater is likely a 6 gallon unit, so there went that. Throw in the piping and 10 gallons doesn't go far. I find it best, unless dry camping, to travel with no water in the tanks. I think you meant fresh vice grey water tank. Grey water tank is the sink and shower drains. Plus, pay attention to where your tanks are for weight distribution, especially affecting tongue weight. Water is about 7# a gallon.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #13
RV There Yet?

the first time i took my 17rp on the highway i ran into major sway problems, bouncing, etc. got pulled over, it was bad. only going 50 on the interstate. found out the hard way that my fresh water tank was BEHIND my rear axle. that tank when full removed over 80lbs from the tongue weight. now if i tow with water, i balance it with gray or black tank weight. your right, you have removed too much tongue weight. water weights 8.34lbs per gallon. i just use the bathroom scale method to get it right where i want it before we head out each trip. takes only a few minutes to do.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #14

Quote:

Frustrated wife.
Shelley
You will not fill the FW tank by hooking up to city water test it at home before you travel.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 09-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
You will not fill the FW tank by hooking up to city water test it at home before you travel.
Unless the check valve in the water pump is bad.

Apparently, the husband had reported that the fresh water tank was indeed filling up when hooked up to city water.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Unless the check valve in the water pump is bad.

Apparently, the husband had reported that the fresh water tank was indeed filling up when hooked up to city water.
Read the post again and don't add what you think only what she wrote. The husband did not say it was filling up. she said he insisted it would fill up.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 09-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Read the post again and don't add what you think only what she wrote. The husband did not say it was filling up. she said he insisted it would fill up.
OK...and what does that tell you?

Tells me that his fresh tank is filling up when they are hooked up to city water?

What causes that???

A BAD CHECK VALVE IN THE WATER PUMP!
Old 09-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #18

Quote:
X2
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #19

I attached a file with the units water connection shown. The city connection should not fill the fresh water tank. As others have also mentioned.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf water connections.pdf (82.0 KB, 64 views)
carbuthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuthn View Post
I attached a file with the units water connection shown. The city connection should not fill the fresh water tank. As others have also mentioned.
I'll try this one more time...

OK...

If the city water is hooked up to the camper and the check valve in the water pump (which you won't be using with city water hooked up) goes bad, then water from the campers internal plumbing will flow backwards through the water pump and the city water's pressure will fill the fresh water tank backwards through the water pump.

And when this happens you usually find out when water starts dripping under the trailer from the fresh water tanks overflow outlets.

A check valve is what keeps the water pump flowing one direction only.

Tags
first trip, grey wolf