Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #1

Floor rot coincidence?

We purchased new a 2007 Cherokee 28A+. About the same time, our friend also purchased a new Cherokee, similar model. This summer we both discover our floors are rotting. Both travel trailers are rotting on the far side of master bedroom and along slideout/couch area. This seems like too much of a coincidence for me. Does any one know of any defective manufacturing issues from around this time period?
sadcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum!

Are there water lines routed along that side?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #3

Well, the tub and sink are on that side but at the opposite end of the trailer. The kitchen sink and fridge are on the opposite side. I believe holding tanks are on the same side, but again they are at the opposite end.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #4

floor plan

Lite Travel Trailers
Old 07-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #5

I have a 2005 Cherokee 28A and I know my water lines for the hot water heater run along that area. I also had trouble with the water pump and water ran into the area under the slide out. You may want to check to see if the water pump is leaking.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #6

> Sadcamper, have you heard anything further on this? My last camping trip the front of the couch area appeared spongy. I have a 2007 28A same layout as yours. It seems odd that a trailer only 5 years old would have this issue. We only use our unit twice a year in the summer. Is anyone aware of the warrantly life time for this trailer?
denlawjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #7

We used to have an 05 28A. I only had a leak once on the door side of the camper by the queen bed. It leaked just the one time and then never leaked again! It could be from the water heater, maybe it has a small leak or the drain plug/annode rod is leaking or the pressure relief valve is dripping and running into the trailer. do you ever feel anything wet!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #8

From looking at the floor plan the 1st thing I'd look into is if the window on the far side was leaking. It's one common item to both areas you mentioned as being rotted.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #9

Our 2005 Cherokee 28A did the same thing. We discovered the rubber that seals the tipout wasn't all the way closed flat against the trailer and the caulking on the tipout itself had a bad spot about 2 inches. After we sealed it, we haven't had anymore issues. My husband and I just don't understand why they don't use treated plywood in these.
tbrown816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #10

Hey Sadcamper, I have a Major issue also, I have a 2008 Cherokee Lite 28-L and the hole back end the floor is rotted big time...Still under warranty until 9/20/12 and getting no help in resolving this problem.. The whole thing is was we had NO indication at all that water was coming in from somewhere and we only use 8 days out of a year...Dealership will do nothing, insurance Co. will do nothing and can not get ahold of Forest Rivers...Is there anybody that can get us in touch with Forest Rivers Manufactor...Help.... trailer a total lose with no help
ezgoinim2 is offline   Reply With Quote