Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #1

Freedom express or grey wolf?

Hey everyone just a little question for everyone. I'm wondering if anyone out there has a Grey Wolf 23dbh or a Freedom Express 257bhs? I was wondering what everyone thought of these TT as I am looking at both of them pretty seriously. I have bought a Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 as my TV. It has a 8000lb tow limit so I would like to keep the weight down on the trailer which both of these are right around 5000#. I guess in the end I was just wondering if anyone likes there 23dbh? I love the floor plan with two doors and the double bunks with the ladder. Anything I should know about them that an owner would I ku know would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tyler
Tyler_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #2

I don't have the same model, but I really love my Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS.

Check the sticker on the camper for weights as shipped and the sticker on your truck for your payload limits to be sure you can support the wet and loaded tongue weight plus passengers and "stuff" you'd have in the truck for camping. For 1/2 ton trucks payload is almost always the first number to hit when towing TTs.

For example the FE 257bhs says the dry weight (without options) is: 5263 lbs. and the max it should weigh is:7500 lbs.

That means your tongue weight is somewhere between 789 and 1125 depending on how much stuff you put in it and what options were added from base. Not included in that dry weight are batteries, propane, and possibly even things like awnings, AC units, microwaves, outdoor kitchens and more. There should be a sticker on the camper with it weighed as it was shipped, which will include options, but not propane and batteries which are added at the dealership.

Looks like the standard payload on a 2016 model of the truck you mentioned is 1770 lbs. So just be sure you, your family, your stuff, the WDH, and 15% of the trailer weight all come in under the payload listed on the doorjamb, and get a good WDH. Trim levels can reduce payload by several hundred pounds, so be sure to check it. Leather seats are heavy!
2013 RAM 2500 CTD
2018 Prime Time Crusader 319RKT
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

DO you have a TT now? How many kids are you traveling with?

I have the 26DBH and pulled it with a 2010 1500 Z71 just fine. The the reason I ask the above is I had a 23ft mini lite and it was tight sometimes. The extra footage gave us a couch and seems like a huge difference. You want to get it right so you do not end up like one of those that camp three times then need to upgrade due to lack of space!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
DO you have a TT now? How many kids are you traveling with?

I have the 26DBH and pulled it with a 2010 1500 Z71 just fine. The the reason I ask the above is I had a 23ft mini lite and it was tight sometimes. The extra footage gave us a couch and seems like a huge difference. You want to get it right so you do not end up like one of those that camp three times then need to upgrade due to lack of space!

This is our very first TT, and that's why I'm trying to do my research. I want to get it right the first time. It is me, the Mrs, 8 yr old daughter, and our lab puppy. I was looking at the 26dbh as well. The couch and extra foot of space would be amazing. I think the extra length and the extra 400lbs might be just a little more than the truck can handle. I don't want to feel underpowered going down the road.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #5

I've learned from experience that when I decide which house, boat, motorcycle, RV or airplane I'm going to buy I automatically upgrade to the next better version. Works...sometimes.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:57 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_13 View Post
This is our very first TT, and that's why I'm trying to do my research. I want to get it right the first time. It is me, the Mrs, 8 yr old daughter, and our lab puppy. I was looking at the 26dbh as well. The couch and extra foot of space would be amazing. I think the extra length and the extra 400lbs might be just a little more than the truck can handle. I don't want to feel underpowered going down the road.

Ok, do only what you feel comfortable with. Sounds like you thought it out well.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 12-12-2015, 01:11 AM   #7
I go RV'ing not Camping

I would say as my advice to buy your Dream trailer first...if you make any compromises you are going to end up buying the trailer that you really wanted later anyways. An extra couple feet here or there is going to make a big difference on how you enjoy the trailer....specially when it's raining
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #8

I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I have been trying to research a lot and everyone says to try and keep your TT max weight around 80% of your TV max towing. Which makes my 99 Chevy towing at 6500lbs. As Loraura said the payload of the truck is also a major factor being a1/2 ton.

When we started looking at trailers we were sold on the clipper 17bh. Then we went and walked inside one and checked it out at a local dealer. Immediately realized it was way to small for all of us and it was back to the search. We can store a 30' trailer at our house without to much trouble so that is why I'm trying to stay around that length. I really don't want to make anyone mad at me but i would like some insight on the trailers. Any issues or anything else that a new owner might want to know.

Thanks!
Tyler
Old 12-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #9
I go RV'ing not Camping

All the Freedom Express trailers that I have seen have looked really good to me...I am guessing you are leaning towards the 23dbh because it is cheaper. That is largely because the outside is aluminum and not fibreglass. This is just me, but I am not a big fan of aluminum siding so my #1 requirement in a trailer was fibreglass walls (lots of hail where I live).

So based on that I think you know I am going to recommend the Freedom Express.

In the end, which ever trailer you decide on make sure you go over it during your pdi with a fine tooth comb...you dealer may try and rush you but don't let them pressure you into rushing out of there...make sure everything works and check it twice and you will be happy for years to come.

p.s. Nobody should be offended or mad for you asking questions.....keep asking away
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:35 PM   #10
Who Dares, Wins

Not offended or mad. I guess my post could seem that way, the problem with Internet.. No way to know emotions or inflection..

But, I was serious, sounds like you have thought out your weights, good job, many do not. Do not be the guy that buys the 15,000lbs TT because the dealer said so, stay in your comfort zone.

I am of the same mindset, just because it can you can does not mean you should. I would also not want to tow max capacity..

I love our popup when we had it and I love the mini lite. Whatever you get I'm sure you'll love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 12-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #11

with a Lab dog and a kid and 2 adults, you will wish you had the bigger one. We had a wonderful hybrid that did us well with 2 adults and 2 kids until we added dogs, and with them laying or walking around, there just wasn't enough floor space for the dogs and people. we traded up to a 29 ft with slide out and it was just right. now the kids are gone and we have a fifth wheel with 3 slide outs and we are good. I would have gone with a 2500 for towing so that you could tow whatever you wanted without worrying as you are now. however we had a 1500 Silverado with the big Chevy engine and it did great. if yoyr truck is a new purchase you need to stay within it's limits (leave room for towing full water and such)
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freedom express, grey wolf