Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #61

I do the same, except with a $10 hard start cap and not the EasyStart which is over $300.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnavalley View Post
Yes, I'm seriously eyeing this specific unit as well. My only concern is the noise level. If I recall correctly, this measures at 58 decibels at 25'. Isn't that loud enough to piss off my neighbors? Is it quieter on propane or electric?
That 58 dB is at 50% load. I tried to find out noise at full load, but no one is saying. You will be over 50% running an AC unit. Whether it would piss off a neighbor??? Many go camping for the peace and quiet, a generator destroys that. Most good campgrounds have restriction on generator run times, others should.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:56 PM   #63

Most every campground has QUIET time that starts usually at 10PM...

prior to that time, before the sun goes down I switch off the the AC, and start running a couple of small fans over the beds in the camper to keep air circulating AND keep the genny from making much noise by lowering the revs on the genny. Often a 75-100 foot 10-12 gauge extension cord stretches to behind a rock, tree, under growth or slight depression where the genny is positioned. I do this only where there are not DRY conditions for fire safety. I also carry four 3ft x 3ft light insulation panels and some 10 penny nails. I put together a 3 sided enclosure with a top, secured by the nails that just push into the insulation to further insulate the sound of the genny, and leave the open section aimed away from campers. I can do this because I am always looking for an outside loop at the campground I am at. In the late night hours the genny will run out of gas and fall quiet but I will be asleep by then.

I have never had any problems with this setup...

on the other hand, MHomes that leave their gennys on, with occupants locked away inside where they can't hear the genny noise over the AC noise inside, but pollute the air with noxious fumes at ground level when the wind is not blowing usually in the evening has pissed me off a couple of times. I can tolerate a little noise, but not the exhaust fumes.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #64

A little more on the EasyStart. Any you can get the Airstream discount, but i don't remember the code.
One More Time Around: Honda 2000i VS Dometic 13,500 Air Conditioner w/ Micro-Air EasyStart
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:52 PM   #65

I have a Champion Dual Fuel Model 100263 Inverter Generator (3400 Watts Start/3100 Watts Run on Gas; 3060 W/2790 W on Propane) that is electric or manual start. Less than 60 dB on Eco mode (no sound data in manual) and I've run my 13.5 K BTU A/C system without issue (no other significant 120 VAC loads on at the time like microwave and/or water heater). While nearly 100 lbs, I can lift it into and out of my TV and it has a sturdy folding handle and wheels to move about. I added an hour meter to keep track of run times. Same cost as a Honda EU2000i but more output.

2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS, 10K Equal-i-zer Hitch
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD 5.7L iForce V8
FROG Member since March 2017
McRabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #66

I just got a Honda EU2000I Companion last week. We picked our camper up from the dealer Tuesday. Had to have the 15K BTU A/C replaced under warranty. Saturday afternoon I had to give it a shot. Trailer had been plugged in since we brought it home, so the battery was charged.

First attempt was a failure and overloaded the generator. I turned off all breakers in the trailer, started generator up, plugged in trailer directly to 30A plug on generator, flipped on a/c breaker and lowered temp on thermostat. It never even kicked on so I reached down and flipped on the main breaker and overloaded the generator.

Second attempt was successful. Did all the above, except I turned on the main breaker first, then flipped the a/c breaker. It loaded up the generator pretty heavy to get the a/c compressor going but then it quickly eased up. After letting it run for 5 minutes or so, I flipped on the breaker for the converter and the generator still kept up. That was as far as I was willing to push it. I'm betting it would have run the fridge, but no more than we will need to use the generator, we can just run it on propane.

Third attempt was also successful. Did the same sequence as attempt two, except using the eco throttle switch. Switched on the a/c breaker, generator picked up rpms and started the a/c then leveled off once it was humming. I switched off eco throttle and the engine throttled up to full throttle. (Maybe 200 or 300 more rpms.) Turned eco throttle back on and engine slowed back down to the level it needed to be to put out power for the a/c.
2016 Nights Camped 23 (3 in popup)

Laissez les bons temps rouler!
mac.dblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:51 PM   #67

Generator large enough for A/C in 2017 26DBH

I have an EU2000i Companion and can only start my 13,500 ac with a hard start can. No-go without the can and no-go with our 15,000 ac with the can.

Even though I can start the 13,500, it really struggles. I think I'll refrain until I get a second one to parallel.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
I have an EU2000i Companion and can only start my 13,500 ac with a hard start can. No-go without the can and no-go with our 15,000 ac with the can.

Even though I can start the 13,500, it really struggles. I think I'll refrain until I get a second one to parallel.
I really suggest you take a look at the Micro-Air Easy Start. Lots of folks on the Airstream forum reporting that it can reliably start and run their 15k units with a single 2k gen. Several have said that they do it in eco mode. And no one was going thru the gyrations that mac.dblues reported. This product is widely used in the boating world - comes installed by one of the AC manufacturers. Worth looking at if a start capacitor doesn't allow you to reliably run your AC.

Easy Start is half the price of any gen, looks to weigh in the ounces category, does not need gas, and is silent.

Full disclosure, I have no interest in the company, I do not currently own one - one IS on my shopping list if I start boon-docking.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post

Easy Start is half the price of any gen, looks to weigh in the ounces category, does not need gas, and is silent.

Those points seem silly since a generator is required.

I'll just get a second generator. That way I can run more than just an air conditioner... or any of my air conditioners.

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:54 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
Those points seem silly since a generator is required.

I'll just get a second generator. That way I can run more than just an air conditioner... or any of my air conditioners.

Thanks.
Not particularly silly. You said you already had A generator but it struggled to run the 13.5 AC and not the 15 and were not going to run AC on just one generator. So, after putting an Easy Start on them WILL be able to run either of them RELIABLY, one at a time. On one 2k generator.

With a single 2K gen, you have about 16.7 amps available and the 15K AC needs about 14.5 amps. So there is a small amount of capacity still available. You would have more capacity available if running the 13.5 AC.

Yes, you can get either of them running on 2 generators with twice the noise, burning twice the gas, and carrying an extra 60-80 lbs.

I'm not sure, but with 2 2k generators, I doubt you will be able to run both ACs at the same time. Though you will have capacity for some additional "stuff".

In the end, it's your stuff and your money. I was just providing information about options.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:51 PM   #71

Paralleling gens is a workable but not necessarily a happy solution unless you enjoy messing with stuff.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
Paralleling gens is a workable but not necessarily a happy solution unless you enjoy messing with stuff.

Paralleling gens is a way to get more power. The process of paralleling inverter gens requires nothing more than plugging them in and starting. Nothing to mess with. No other way to combine output from more than one gen.

Tags
generator