Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #1
Member
 
smnavalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Napa Valley
Posts: 65
Generator large enough for A/C in 2017 26DBH

Hello out there...! I'm looking for a generator large enough to run the air conditioning in our 2017 26DBH. Our current generator isn't large enough. What is everyone using for their Grey Wolf?
__________________

__________________
2013 Ford F-150 5.0 Super Crew 4x4

2017 Grey Wolf 26DBH
smnavalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:45 PM   #2
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 19,603
Is it a 13.5k or 15k a/c?
Makes a difference.
__________________

__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:47 PM   #3
Member
 
smnavalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Napa Valley
Posts: 65
My apologies. It's a 15k
__________________
2013 Ford F-150 5.0 Super Crew 4x4

2017 Grey Wolf 26DBH
smnavalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:49 PM   #4
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 19,603
Then you'll need at least a 3000w INVERTER generator.
Or a pair of paralleled 2000w INVERTER generators.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 48
I have a new 2017 Catalina 283 with 15 K A/C, and, and I have just learned that my Honda 3000 Invertor can run the A/C fine with lights and TV on. But if my uses the hair dryer, it boggs down. Hope this will help.
Slow but Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:51 PM   #6
Member
 
smnavalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Napa Valley
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Then you'll need at least a 3000w INVERTER generator.
Or a pair of paralleled 2000w INVERTER generators.


Thank you!
__________________
2013 Ford F-150 5.0 Super Crew 4x4

2017 Grey Wolf 26DBH
smnavalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #7
Member
 
smnavalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Napa Valley
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow but Steady View Post
I have a new 2017 Catalina 283 with 15 K A/C, and, and I have just learned that my Honda 3000 Invertor can run the A/C fine with lights and TV on. But if my uses the hair dryer, it boggs down. Hope this will help.


It does, thank you!
__________________
2013 Ford F-150 5.0 Super Crew 4x4

2017 Grey Wolf 26DBH
smnavalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 45
Big enough generator

I just got a Champion 2000w inverter gen yesterday, Tried it out, ran everything but 13.5k A/C. Ironically, yesterday my electrical service here at t he cg fried itself due to loose connections. So up jumps the new generator! Put in oil, gas, fired it up at 2:30 pm, and turned it off at 10pm. Started it back up at 8:15am and it ran for another hour before running out of gas. 8 1/2 hours running on a little less than 1 gallon, and ran our residential fridge and every thing else, I did turn off the electric w/h because it wasn't needed. It did great! Amazon delivered in 2 days for $472.00 Couldn't be happier! Have ordered the parallel hook up in anticipation of getting a second one. That will give me 3000watts of power.
Check these out. Not a Honda, but 2 plus the parallel kit for the price of one 2000w Honda.
Sorry to go on and on, but I'm just so impressed.
Robert
pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
DavidBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Texas Coastal Bend
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican View Post
I just got a Champion 2000w inverter gen yesterday, Tried it out, ran everything but 13.5k A/C. Ironically, yesterday my electrical service here at t he cg fried itself due to loose connections. So up jumps the new generator! Put in oil, gas, fired it up at 2:30 pm, and turned it off at 10pm. Started it back up at 8:15am and it ran for another hour before running out of gas. 8 1/2 hours running on a little less than 1 gallon, and ran our residential fridge and every thing else, I did turn off the electric w/h because it wasn't needed. It did great! Amazon delivered in 2 days for $472.00 Couldn't be happier! Have ordered the parallel hook up in anticipation of getting a second one. That will give me 3000watts of power.
Check these out. Not a Honda, but 2 plus the parallel kit for the price of one 2000w Honda.
Sorry to go on and on, but I'm just so impressed.
Robert
I've got the 3000W version and so far so good. The Honda's have set the bar quality-wise, but that comes at a price. Yamaha is also a good choice, but bang for the buck, I'm pretty happy with my Champion. It even runs my 13.5k A/C in econo mode, but nothing else, of course.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #10
Member
 
smnavalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Napa Valley
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
I've got the 3000W version and so far so good. The Honda's have set the bar quality-wise, but that comes at a price. Yamaha is also a good choice, but bang for the buck, I'm pretty happy with my Champion. It even runs my 13.5k A/C in econo mode, but nothing else, of course.


How loud is the Champion, compared to the Honda?
__________________
2013 Ford F-150 5.0 Super Crew 4x4

2017 Grey Wolf 26DBH
smnavalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: OK
Posts: 200
I have a 26RR with a 15k AC and run it with a Honda EM5000SX. I can run the AC, the microwave, and everything else with no bogging. The only issue is on really hot days when microwaving with the AC on and the electric water heater kicks on.....then it will pop a breaker on the generator.
__________________
2016 26RR and a 2018 OR371MBH
mxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
HONDAMAN174's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Big brown desert
Posts: 2,732
I would say the champions are a pretty good value and there are several flavors available- 2000, 2800, 3100, 3400, 3500 and some with remote start. Loudness is a little bit more than the hondas but nothing to start a lynch mob at a campground. Unless it is an open frame!
__________________
2014 Stealth Evo 2850- "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7- "Clifford"
2013 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/Track Pack- "Julia"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:45 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
DouglasReid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Then you'll need at least a 3000w INVERTER generator.
Or a pair of paralleled 2000w INVERTER generators.
I give up, what is an Inverter generator? I have two generators, a whole house Onan and a portable generic. Both produce AC current.
__________________
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL, Gladiator Qr35 ST235/85R16 Load rating G, TST 507 TPMS w/ Flow-thru Sensors & Repeater, Reese Sidewinder 16K Pin Box, PI EMS HW50C
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Turbo Brake activated, 39 gal Aux Tank W/ Fuel Pump transfer, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 air bags.
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:02 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
DavidBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Texas Coastal Bend
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I give up, what is an Inverter generator? I have two generators, a whole house Onan and a portable generic. Both produce AC current.
Most generators are the open framed contractor style. They use an alternator creating AC directly and the voltage is controlled with engine RPM. The disadvantage there is noise due to the open frame, and inefficiency because the engine has to run at a certain RPM regardless of load. The current is also "dirty" and not well suite to sensitive electronics.
Inverter gennys make DC power initially, then converts it to AC electronically through an inverter. This creates nice, clean electricity and fuel consumption is reduced because the engine can be throttled back under light loads. The econo-mode combined with the enclosed case means much less noise. Show up at a campground with a contractor unit and get ready to be real unpopular.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
DavidBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Texas Coastal Bend
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by smnavalley View Post
How loud is the Champion, compared to the Honda?
I don't have a Honda for a direct comparison, but according to other reviews and a few YouTube videos the Champ is slightly louder DB wise, but not by much as previously mentioned.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 45
Generator

The champion 2000w inverter gen weighs 48.5 pounds, and is rated @53db.
pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #17
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 19,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I give up, what is an Inverter generator? I have two generators, a whole house Onan and a portable generic. Both produce AC current.
biggest difference is Inverter generators are MUCH quieter than open frame contractor style generators.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:14 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 35
I got a 2016 26DBH I use a Champion 3000 RV gen. Does all I need
hotheadbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #19
Member
 
smnavalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Napa Valley
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotheadbilly View Post
I got a 2016 26DBH I use a Champion 3000 RV gen. Does all I need


13.5k or 15k A/C?
__________________
2013 Ford F-150 5.0 Super Crew 4x4

2017 Grey Wolf 26DBH
smnavalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 13,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by smnavalley View Post
13.5k or 15k A/C?
It will handle either one! Youroo!!
__________________

__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
generator

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.


×