Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #1

Question Grey Wolf 26DBH vs Cherokee 274DBH? Confused

We are camper shopping. Planning the jump up from a popup. I feel like the more I research the more confused I become. We head to the camper shows this weekend. I have two campers at a local retailer that are the ones to beat at the show. I'm just confused about the difference between them. They are the 2015 Grey wolf 26DBH and the 2015 Cherokee 274DBH. Floor plan is the same, The fabric and trim and everything looks identical. Difference I'm noticing is the Cherokee is 700 pounds more on the dry weight and it is only $300 more. They both have the limited package with bells and whistles. We will be towing with a Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7 with the 10,500 tow capacity but I do understand that the tongue weight is my bigger factor with this truck. So that makes the Grey Wolf more attractive. What is getting me is with them looking identical appearance with what does the Cherokee have going on that drives the dry weight up that much more. Is it a quality of materials used thing I should be paying attention to? With $300 difference in price that is not a factor at all in the choice. The 700 pounds is with my wanting to keep weight down. I just feel like I'm missing something because otherwise why make 2 difference campers when they look the same. Please help.
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:20 PM   #2

I think the dinette area/slides are different. On the Grey Wolf, the dinette sits up on a platform & there is a shelf behind the sofa. I'm not sure if it is a jackknife sofa since the Grey Wolf is listed as sleeping 8 vs. 9 like the Cherokee... The Cherokee is also taller overall but I'm not sure if it is the wheels/axles or the interior. It's been a while since I looked at them...

When we were shopping for TT's last year, we first looked at new Cherokee/Grey Wolf TT's because they were affordable but eventually found a used Prime Time Tracer in the same price-range that has the more desirable aluminum & fiberglass construction, etc.
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #3

They very well could be one and the same, just different paint/stickers/interior colors. It seems pretty common in the industry. For example, The Rockwood line is the same as the Flagstaffs as well.

Not sure about the weight difference.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-13-2015, 08:38 PM   #4

I was just checking out your two models. That charokee, in particular, has a pretty hefty hitch weight to go along with the extra over all weight difference. You'll easily be over 1000lbs when you load up to camp.

Have a look-see at the Apex listed in my signature. Similar floor plan... Much less weight... Towing with a Tundra (and tows it without effort).

Good luck to Ya. Hope you find the right camper.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-13-2015, 08:52 PM   #5

there are more options for the cherokee then the grey wolf. corian counters, faux rock ent center,heated tanks, etc. the furnace in the cherokee is bigger, 30k compare to 20k. pretty sure the cherokee comes with 15" rims and tires compared to 14" on the grey wolf. as said above the slide outs are different, cherokee is a flush floor, grey wolf is raised.
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:28 AM   #6

As khd said the apex is light! Big differance from my 900lbs tongue weight zinger. I dont understand why cherokee/graywolf dont have door windows! That and of course the weight kept me a way from them....
08 dodgeram current TV
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:07 AM   #7

I just did a quick search for anyone within 100 miles selling the 2015 Apex 288BHS and found only one. They are asking $32K. The Grey Wolf with the limited package is $17K. So yeah thats a factor to consider. Its not sounding like the weight difference between the Grey Wolf and the Cherokee is a quality thing which was my chief concern. I do like the idea of bigger rims but am I correct in assuming that is something I can change. I have read to change the tires right away anyway since Forest River doesn't use very good tires. Dry weight on the Grey Wolf is 5600 fully loaded is 7500. I highly doubt I end up with more than 1000 pounds of gear since I wouldn't travel with water preloaded and things like that.. So with an equalizer hitch and Pe brake controller it sounds like based on what I have read that the Tundra can handle the Grey Wolf without problem and without being overloaded. I'd love any input though. Thanks
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:51 AM   #8

when I bought my 26 dbh I had the dealer upgrade the tires to 215/75/14. gave me an extra 110 lbs per tire of capacity. going to 15" would be tough. I don't think you would have the room. only size worth getting would be 225/75/15 in a LR c or d and the size is a lot bigger.

215/75/14 - 26.5" dia
225/75/15 - 28.3" dia

that's gaining almost 1" per tire closer to each other. I don't think I would run dual axles with tires that close, but I'm not sure if there is a spec for that. it also gets 1" closer to the frame which I don't think you have the space. the 215/75/14 got pretty close on mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommieMara View Post
I just did a quick search for anyone within 100 miles selling the 2015 Apex 288BHS and found only one. They are asking $32K. The Grey Wolf with the limited package is $17K. So yeah thats a factor to consider. Its not sounding like the weight difference between the Grey Wolf and the Cherokee is a quality thing which was my chief concern. I do like the idea of bigger rims but am I correct in assuming that is something I can change. I have read to change the tires right away anyway since Forest River doesn't use very good tires. Dry weight on the Grey Wolf is 5600 fully loaded is 7500. I highly doubt I end up with more than 1000 pounds of gear since I wouldn't travel with water preloaded and things like that.. So with an equalizer hitch and Pe brake controller it sounds like based on what I have read that the Tundra can handle the Grey Wolf without problem and without being overloaded. I'd love any input though. Thanks
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #9

I didnt pay much more then the gray wolf for my apex, and i ordered it! The msrp is crazy! I gor mine in pa if you ever do get an intrest in one. 5600kbs is not bad on the gray wolf!
08 dodgeram current TV
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #10

Thumbs down Check the flooring material !

I want to recommend to check what your floors are made of ! The trailer I now have has 3/4" marine grade plywood on aluminum frame.
Watch out for carpet or vinyl on 1/4" Luan plywood with 2" styrofoam between aluminum frame with 1/8 luan on bottom with black tarp material !
We found this flooring got soft spots where frequently stepped on !
It also has a lot more flex when walking on ! Take out a floor vent or look under bottom drawers in cabinets, especially where electrical comes in. There could be an electrical chase across in the floor. If your going to spend a lot of time living in your trailer this type of lightweight floor is not recommended as far as we were concerned !
klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #11

I traded my grey wolf and got a Cherokee, love it the slide out goes all the way out on the Cherokee vs only as far as the tires on the Grey Wolf, also the Cherokee has windows next to the door with a sitting area in the rear with 2 nice chairs..
kbsmith6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #12

Cherokee lover

Had a Grey Wolf and traded for a Cherokee.. Slide goes all the way out on the Cherokee and we have a sitting area back by the main door with windows.. Lover the Cherokee so much better..
kbsmith6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:34 PM   #13

We looked and went through both TT at a show and liked them both and asked a lot of questions, the cherokee was the winner. The reason why the tongue weight is more is because the wheels are set back a little further than the grey wolf. (Helps it pull straighter, less bounce.). We tow our cherokee with a 2010 jeep commander with the 5.7l and it follows us very nice, i wouldn't climb Mount Everest, but it does great in the hills and valleys where we live. I needed to install firestone ride rite airbags in the rear springs to help keep the rear from squatting too much ($100) and an hours work. (They are fantastic, not meant for overloading, just for stiffening the springs when towing.). What it comes down to is which one do YOU like more.

TT-2015 Cherokee 274dbh TV-2010 Jeep Commander Limited
Steelframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #14

Also of note - you're comparing a 26' Grey Wolf to a 27' Cherokee.

I have the Cherokee 274dbh and love it.

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:02 PM   #15

cdangel0, the Cherokee 274DBH is 31'-8" not 27'.

The differences between the Gray Wolf 26DBH and the Cherokee 274DBH that I'm aware of are the Cherokee has a "flush floor slid" and wood faced cabinets that the Gray Wolf doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KentuckyBullOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyBullOwner View Post
cdangel0, the Cherokee 274DBH is 31'-8" not 27'.
I was just referring to the box.

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:36 PM   #17

We have the Cherokee 27 but 2014 model. The major difference in the slide is about 16"of extra space when it's out. The slide is bigger which I think is the main difference in total weight. We have the husky centerline hitch. Pull the tt using 2004 f150 4x4 with add a leafs in back. No issue pulling, but have not tried too many hills. Eastern nc doesn't have many. Family of 3 and 2 big dogs do just fine.
Pirateman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:30 PM   #18

Cherokee is the higher line. More options , better components. I.e better slide

2015 Nights Camped 32
2014 Nights Camped 21
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
2014 Cherokee 304 BH
Goose killer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, fuse, grey wolf