Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #1

Grey Wolf 29BH Fridge and Oven issues

Last week the fridge breaker tripped in my new 2018 unit and the fridge didn’t automatically switch over to propane. It happened while we were away for a week. When we got back to our seasonal site, we saw that everything had melted and we lost all of our food. Propane tank was on and the stove burners worked fine so propane wasn’t the issue. The fridge is the newer type with only one button/switch on it and supposed to switch over to LP automatically when the power is off but did not in this case. Also, though my stove burners work, my oven does not. I can see the spark in the oven when igniting but seems like no propane is flowing. I’m wondering if these 2 issues are related in some way. Anyone hear of this before? Ive only had the unit for 3 weeks. It may be a couple weeks before the service guy can get out there so just thought I’d share in the meantime.

Thanks!
flashtilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:54 AM   #2

A tripped broker and not shifting over seem like maybe it was set up to stay on Elec use only and not auto change over something worth checking in the setup. Sometimes the 15 amp fuse will blow with a low battery and not allow the frig to shift over and start on propane. Let the forum know what you figure out.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:38 AM   #3

Your refrigerator will not run on propane if there is no power. It needs a little bit of battery power in order for the electronics to work. It will switch over from electric to propane automatically as long as it can draw a small amount of power from the battery. If your breaker trips, It wont work at all. Mine is the same.
Eric 2019Greywolf27DBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #4
Site Team

If you have not used the fridge on propane for a while ( or ever) it is possible that the propane line needed purging. The fridge will try to light a few times, then the safety feature shuts it off until it is reset ( DC power removed from control board). I suggest you try on propane while you are present to insure it is working. Unless you lost power to the RV for an extended period of time, the battery should have operated the fridge control board. This could be the same issue with the oven as both the fridge and oven pilot are very low volume propane users and do not purge the lines quickly as does the stovetop.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #5

If the fridge breaker trips, the battery still has power. If this is the case than what’s the point of having propane backup? This doesn’t make any sense. Maybe I’m missing something. I’m not going to leave food in there if I don’t have any backup.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If you have not used the fridge on propane for a while ( or ever) it is possible that the propane line needed purging. The fridge will try to light a few times, then the safety feature shuts it off until it is reset ( DC power removed from control board). I suggest you try on propane while you are present to insure it is working. Unless you lost power to the RV for an extended period of time, the battery should have operated the fridge control board. This could be the same issue with the oven as both the fridge and oven pilot are very low volume propane users and do not purge the lines quickly as does the stovetop.

Now this makes sense. I will check that on the weekend. Thanks!!
Old 06-06-2018, 01:12 PM   #7

Hello, I'm not sure if your two issues are related but we also had an issue with our oven on our 274dbh. It turns out that the tiny nozzle in the very back of the oven was manufactured and clogged. It was a very simple fix unclogging the blocked hole then our oven worked fine. We had also met another owner with a similar rig that had a same issue as we did.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaN View Post
Hello, I'm not sure if your two issues are related but we also had an issue with our oven on our 274dbh. It turns out that the tiny nozzle in the very back of the oven was manufactured and clogged. It was a very simple fix unclogging the blocked hole then our oven worked fine. We had also met another owner with a similar rig that had a same issue as we did.

Thanks, I’ll check that too!
Old 06-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #9
Site Team

If you find a clogged nozzle, clean it with compresses air. Never use a needle or pin as it can change the diameter of the orifice.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #10

Both issues now fixed. Apparently it was an air locked propane line

Tags
fridge, grey wolf