Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #1

Grey Wolf Back Rack

With the attached picture it looks as if there is a riser for a 2" hitch on the back side of the rack. Does anyone have a closer picture of this? If it is a hitch, would you be able to attach a bike rack to it? I don't have one on my camper but would add the rack if I could also attach a bike rack to it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Grey Wolf back rack.pdf (32.1 KB, 293 views)
2011 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26BH (1st Camper)
jrennich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #2

I would have to say no, it looks more like a receiver that when the rack is lowered, you could put a fence or retainer type system on the back of the rack.

As shown in the picture, the rack is up and is probably at it's weakest point, meaining that it gets much of it's strength from resting on the bumper.

Besides, as shown in the picture, what you have questioned as a receiver hitch, this sits way too high, there would be too much leverage applied to be stable at all.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrotor View Post
I would have to say no, it looks more like a receiver that when the rack is lowered, you could put a fence or retainer type system on the back of the rack.

As shown in the picture, the rack is up and is probably at it's weakest point, meaining that it gets much of it's strength from resting on the bumper.

Besides, as shown in the picture, what you have questioned as a receiver hitch, this sits way too high, there would be too much leverage applied to be stable at all.
My statement might have been a little misleading. I would use it with the back rack in the down position. That way you have the stability of the frame to help eliminate any bounce affect. If it is a 2" received then you should be able to modify the upright on a bike rack to mount into it. This way the upright would slide into it and be bolted into place. Does that make a little more sense than my first post?

I just can't find any pictures with it in the down position, so that is why I added that picture
Old 06-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #4

I assumed what you were really meaning, just wanted to cover the obvious of how the mount appeared in the photo, when you drop the rack down, it appears to be 18 to 24" wide, and if I remember correctly I believe that rack has a weight rating of 150 pounds. Now when you begin mounting at the rear of that rack (i.e. with a bike rack) your leverage point begins to extend even more than the 24" or so, and an average bike rack loaded with bikes will be 150-200 pounds extended at a distance (leverage), it may not be strong enough.

My suggestion would to find something like the Thule bigmouth, and mount across the back pack rack, at least then the weight will be distributed in the manner that it was designed.

Thule 599xtr Big Mouth Upright Bike Carrier
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
JJL

Our camper came with the Back Rack installed. I've included several pictures of the rack down. The rack came with an additional bike carrier support, which I've included a picture of as well. The receiver for this support measures 1 1/2 inches. Something to keep in mind before doing any mods to your bumper... our bumper has a sticker on it that states modifications to the bumper may void the warranty.

Hope this helps...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5399.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	6614   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5400.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	6615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5402.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	6616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5405.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	6617  
JJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #6

Thanks for the pictures. If I would go this route I would plan on bringing it in to get welded on by the dealer so I am not worried about the warranty. With the single post sticking up, how do you secure the bikes to it?
Old 07-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
pip

my camper came with that same cargo rack, this is what i use on the rack to carry bikes but the rack can't be put up with it on, it sticks up to high, 200lb limit on rack. so far i have not used it.

pip is offline   Reply With Quote