Old 10-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
GreyWolfGig

Grey Wolf slideout leaking issue

Well....we have not owned our new Grey Wolf 26DBH for 3 weeks....and the camper hasn't even been out of the factory maybe a month. And we are embarking on some great big issues. I really need someone to step up here that may have had similiar issues with a newly built camper....and pleez let us know what our options are here.....including legal options. We took the camper back to the dealer last Saturday because a low spot(defect/flaw)on top of the slide was allowing water to bilge....and come in under the seal with the slideout while retracting. The water runs to whichever end of the slide is lowest and dumps onto the floor. Probably to the tune of maybe a quart to a half gallon....and in the form of a pretty nice sized puddle. The dealer called us today and basically said they looked it all over and the best remedy is to go ahead and install the slideout awning that we had originally ordered to have put on anyway when we ordered the camper. We just feel....that had we bought the camper without an awning....like many people own....and they don't deposit water all over the floor....just doesn't seem like a good fix for us. I mean....this is a brand new....freshly built $20,000 camper. How would you react to that? Our other option is to have the dealer basically tear the slide completely apart and try and fix the low spot....but the service manager said that breaking the factory designed seal of the slideout might not be a good idea. If anyone has a good piece of advice....do share. We like the camper....but my goodness we just can't believe this is happening to us.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #2

We had three different problems with our Slide. The first one was improper seal of skylight, then crack in skylight, and last, they did not seal when the rubber comes back to the wall of the slide. Ours is going back to the factory this week to have issues fixed and a total check of what is going on. I think if it needed the awning, they should have included it. Why should you pay for a unit that needs something to make it work properly. Something is not right. You might have to call Forest River.

2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #3

We just purchased a brand new 2013 26dbh. We do not have the awning over the slide out and we are experiencing the same thing with the water coming in with the slide. I thought this was a common issue with TT's in general because my parents TT also does this and it's a different manufacturer. Should I be concerned with this? I was just thinking we would towel dry the slide if it came in wet.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #4

After ours came back from the Factory (3rd repair to the slide out), they put on a awning at no charge. We have not had a chance to try it out yet, but will in the spring.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #5

just bought a27bhks yesterday hope these issues have been resolved.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklanddeb View Post
just bought a27bhks yesterday hope these issues have been resolved.
Welcome to the forum!

Water sitting on top of the slide is common. There is usually a rubber wipe as part of the seal arrangement that should remove the water as the slide is retracted, but isn't very effective.

As I don't have slide toppers, I'm always on the roof before the slides are retracted to sweep off any debris that's settled there as large twigs/branches could damage the seals if not removed. I try to sweep off any water that's lying there as best I can and towel up any run-off after the slide is brought in.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #7

I usually wipe off my slide out when it comes in. Think of the rubber wiper on the top just like your windshield wipers. Same purpose, they don't get all the water off and a horizontal surface doesn't have the help of gravity. We also sweep the leaves etc. off before, during and after retraction.
2011 Greywolf 26rl "Wounded Wolf"
camped 2013 94 days 2014 24 days

nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #8

On my Grey Wolf 26RL the slide has been OK. No water inside but I do use a electric leaf blower to clean it before I retract the slide. Seems to do quite well. If it has been raining, I do wipe off the top of the slide once it has been retracted, eay to do from the inside. I do not have slide toppers as I have the skylights with shades. i do not think there should be a "hollow" where water is allowed to sit.A topper will help but not eliminate this. Water, leaves, twiggs anything that can be wind blown will pile up under the toppers. Still need to clean/inspect before just reeling them in, IMO.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #9

We picked up our new 26DBH two days ago. Have had it home and its rain a little then wet snow. The slide is retracted and we have a large puddle on the floor. Called the dealership and they said they havent had too many problems with the slide. We will take it in the next few days. I will keep the form informed.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #10

Used ours this past weekend with the slide out awning, and no water after rain. They should make this a standard install.