Old 04-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #1

Gutter Rail Rubber Insert Missing

I bought a 2013 Cherokee Grey Wolf 29BH used and I noticed that the gutter rail on both sides is missing the rubber insert that you usually see covering the screws of those rails. I asked the previous owner and he did not remember there being anything there.

I thought maybe he was not being truthful, but this weekend we camped and I noticed another forest river trailer that did not have anything covering these screws.

So the question is, should I buy rubber insert and install it, or is it OK to leave it?

PS, it is also missing from the rear non-gutter rail, but it looks like the prior owner put silicone over the screws in that rail, so I am guessing that it was covered at some point back there.

rfaulkner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Our grey Wold did not have the cover either, it was a 2014. It was only sealed with silicone over the screws. It was a source of a leak on our 2006 Rockwood that also did not have any covering over the screws. What I did was cover the screws over the roof seam with Eterna Bond Tape and never worried about it again.

As for the gutter rail, never covered either, just siliconed up.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:43 PM   #3

The front rail of my roof had what appeared to be a very small amount of dicor covering just the screws in that rail. When I was fixing a broken sewer vent cover, I added a lot of dicor to that rail. I plan on putting eternabond tape on all of the dicor seams around the rest of the fittings soon as well.

The rear rail was not on the roof, and it looks like the owner went crazy with silicone, an ugly job but functional.

I saw a couple of other trailers this weekend that did have the insert in the gutter rail, so I am still unsure if I should add it or not.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaulkner99 View Post
The front rail of my roof had what appeared to be a very small amount of dicor covering just the screws in that rail. When I was fixing a broken sewer vent cover, I added a lot of dicor to that rail. I plan on putting eternabond tape on all of the dicor seams around the rest of the fittings soon as well.

The rear rail was not on the roof, and it looks like the owner went crazy with silicone, an ugly job but functional.

I saw a couple of other trailers this weekend that did have the insert in the gutter rail, so I am still unsure if I should add it or not.
If it did not have it too start I am not sure how hard it is to add with the built up silicone and such that might make it too fat.. I think it was called gimp or something like that (I might be wrong). I am trying to remember what they called that edging stuff from another post a long time ago.

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 04-30-2018, 04:16 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:

My new camper,artic wolf, has the insert so no screws exposed. I'll still eterna bond because who know how well. They sealed under the insert.

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 05-01-2018, 03:33 PM   #6

Are you using eternabond on the side rails as well, or just on the roof?
Old 05-01-2018, 08:34 PM   #7

Ours didn't have it either

Quote:
I bought a 2013 Cherokee Grey Wolf 29BH used and I noticed that the gutter rail on both sides is missing the rubber insert that you usually see covering the screws of those rails. I asked the previous owner and he did not remember there being anything there.

I thought maybe he was not being truthful, but this weekend we camped and I noticed another forest river trailer that did not have anything covering these screws.

So the question is, should I buy rubber insert and install it, or is it OK to leave it?

PS, it is also missing from the rear non-gutter rail, but it looks like the prior owner put silicone over the screws in that rail, so I am guessing that it was covered at some point back there.
Our 2007 or 2008 Cherokee didn't have the inserts either. I bought the material on eBay, 100' for $17.99. Here is a similar offering.

The insert comes in two widths, 3/4" and 1". I needed the 1" width.

Note that you can get this product in black, white, and several colors. DW just wanted plain white. I was for red, to add a splash of color. Guess who won.

How do you terminate the ends? It's not a life-and-death question, but it doesn't feel good leaving them open. On factory trailers they seem to cut the insert long and fold it over and stuff it under the end of the gutter rail. Not something we can do at this point without disturbing butyl tape and caulking and gutter spouts. I can't remember what I did--if I were doing it now, I might cut the side legs off the extension, then fold it over and stuff it in the gap.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

When I did my grey wolf, I wrapped it over and I to the gutter to cover the screws with the eternabond. It was more work but it was sealed up now. The new camper has the insert so I will wrap over it just to the too since it is sealed otherwise.

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8