Old 07-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #1

Hail Damaged 26 BH

Hello,

This is my first post but I have been lurking for a while, I have a 2008 Grey Wolf 26 BH that has some pretty nasty hail damage. The door side, the back, the front at the top, and both vent covers were smashed. I am going to get my insurance adjuster out to have a look at it but I am afraid they might write it off. I have already hit up RV.net and most of them are saying it will be a significant bill. Here is the problem, I bought it in the US (I'm from Calgary, Alberta EH...) and I paid about $3,000 less for it than a new one here. My insurance will only pay me for what I paid for it so unless I want to spent the $1,500 to go to get another one in the US I'm going to lose out on a brand new trailer. How much damage do you fellow Grey Wolfers think I might have? Also, how hard would it be to replace the siding myself? If it is going to be a write off I will probably just use it like it is, but it looks pretty ghetto...

Thanks for reading...

Old 07-18-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
Head Rambler

While I'm not a GW owner, I can give you some insite. The vent covers are minor. A few dollars and they're done. The siding is another issue. It's really not that hard to replace provided you can find replacement of the same style. It will be very time consuming but if you're handy and can buy it back from the ins company if they total it, it might be worth rebuilding. Since it's an 08 model FR should be able to provide exactly what you need. I have no idea what it'll cost though. If I were you I'd contact FR or a local dealer and find out what that amount of siding would cost to buy and don't for get you'll need new graphics too. We completely rebuilt a 35' TT, replaced all the siding and rebuilt the inside for about 2000 US dollars a few years ago.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
Cyber Phrenologist

I heard a rumor that dry ice applied to aluminium skin on a warm day will pop out or at least reduce the size of dents. Worth a try.

But if I liked the trailer, I'd keep it. Dents and all. But then I work with the National Weather Service SkyWarn ham radio group and hail damage on any vehicle is something of a status symbol with these guys...
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #4

Well the estimate is in, $6,600 in damage. That is just for the siding rear and right side, as well as the stickers and labour. In Case anyone has a Grey Wolf and wants to replace the decals...the one side and the back are almost $400! Anyway not a right off, and I will be able to use it this summer and have free storage for a while this winter while they get around to working on it...
Old 07-28-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
Head Rambler

Wow! That stings! Those decals are higher than I thought. Good luck with it. A few months of free storage makes it some better.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Wow! That stings!
It does, but insurance is taking care of it...thank goodness!

Tags
cherokee