Old 05-30-2014, 04:39 AM   #1
Has anyone had or is having an issue with carpenter ants?

We bought our travel trailer last year used. It is a 2012 Grey Wolf. On our second camping trip, the fire pit was located directly beside the rear of the camper and about 10 feet from the back door. The first night I made a fire, after about 30 minutes I saw dozens of carpenter ants crawling all over the camper. I took care of all of them as quickly as I could. We order some spray just for them and it works, the only problem is we are still finding them in the floor in the rear of the camper. I have probably sweep up at least 50 or 60. I've tried spraying the outside to see if that will help. Can anyone help me with this?

Bigman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:22 AM   #2
I had that happen to me in our first TT. I put out a couple of those liquid ant baits and in 1 day they where gone.

2000 F250 Superduty CC LB 7.3 4x4
2013 344QB Wildcat
Nights camped 2014 ( 15)
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:39 AM   #3
We had them inside. We ended up using the Raid Bomb several times and it took care of them. We first removed and covered what we could inside.
2011 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2015 Toyota Tundra
wfmdfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:18 AM   #4
Carpenter ants like a warm moist area to nest. Could be an area that is collecting moisture or it's a great place for them to nest, being close to a food supply. They will eat most everything we eat, but some are more "grease "eaters and some are "sweet" eaters. , they normally come out at dark and will trail so with your flashlite you can watch where they are going in and out. Next if you find the nest you can spray with any of the can sprays you have (ant,roach etc). If this doesn't work then you must bait them. For the sweet eaters you can put out some Terro ant bait( walgreens,ace hardware. Box depot stores). And or boric acid powder. Mix the boric acid about 20 percent with peanut butter 80 percent. Can place on small pieces of cardboard. The baits should be very small like size of a dime, then place several around their trailing area. When baiting suspend Spraying. The Terro the same way small amounts but several locations. Give them plenty then they will not go for your food. Hope this helps out.
Jerry. Vietnam vet.
jgahlhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
I have used plain ol cinnamon and the ants will not cross it. Non toxic to humans and animals. Just sprinkle around where you find them. Make sure that you wash their trails with bleach water or "clorox wipes" the remove the scent trail.
Al and Deb
Sarge, Sugar and Ginger
2006 Silverado "Predator"
2011 Greywolf 26rl "Wounded Wolf"
camped 2013 94 days 2014 24 days

nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #6
We have found TERRO ANT KILLER sold at Home Depot and stores like that works GREAT! Each trap set out in say 4 strategic non view locations and bingo , no more ants of any kind, period! Inexpensive and not messy to deal with. To keep traps plastic casing from sliding around, simply use a piece of double faced tape or make your own by folding tape in half.
If you have pets as we do, simply place the baits in locations with no pet access. Ie, pull out a bottom drawer and place on floor and replace drawer. Place one in bathroom cabinet with has pipe openings to underbelly storage area.
We were swarmed in a winter in FL. In 2 days, never saw another ant .
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #7
Thumbs up

Name:   demon.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  9.3 KB
The best we have found,not sure it can be bought where you are at ,,,,
Demon WP we get it at our feed store,

rwjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote