Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2007, 11:57 AM   #1

Heating

Hello,
I Purchased a 2008 31B and used it last week while hunting. I am very pleased with the room it supplies, the only problem is that I could not get any real heat out of the vent in the main area. There was lots coming out in the front bedroom and back bedroom but none in the main area which is closest to the furnace. I looked to see if there was any flaps restricting air flow but saw nothing. Asked dealer but they really did not give any solutions to the problem. I've been in other TT and there has been lots of air flow out all the vents. Any advise will be appreciated.
Cole77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:41 PM   #2

the air ducts may have come loose.
try pulling the registers and verify they are connected to the ducting
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:18 AM   #3

Thanks for the idea, I'll take a look tonight.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:47 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
You might check the furnace plemun as well. I've seen some units leaving the factory with one or more heating ducts not hooked up to the plenum, so that there is no fan forced air flowing though.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Sounds like the duct is blocked, disconnected, caved in or otherwise. If you can't see into the duct from the vent, try sticking a small digital camera down it and snapping some photos. (or video cam) You can see down all your ducts that way and possibly see any problems.

Another possible?
In the KEYSTONE OUTBACK line, they put water tanks by the floor ducts. When the water tank was filled, it squished the ducts and permanently restricted air flow.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:15 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
We are talking about floor vents right?

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:27 AM   #7

One other thing you can try, block all your vents accept in the area where you do not have any heat to see if you can force the air in that area. I do not know how your duct work is set up in relation to your heating system, but my heating unit is located in the middle of my camper and the duct work is tee'ed off. If you can't force the air in the problem area then you will need to go to the next step, If you can force the air to the problem area then it is most likely an engineering problem, I see this alot in my line of work. Good luck I hope it is something simple.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman599 View Post
We are talking about floor vents right?
Yea. Duct work running under the floor.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:32 AM   #9

Still had no luck getting air flow out of my vent in main area. Nothing seems to have the duct plugged. I haven't closed off the other vents to see if air will be forced out into the main area. I also have not taken down the layer of insolation under the rv to check and see if the ducting is apart. My heating unit also is loacated in the middle of the rv.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #10

The further I am from the unit the less flow I get. Bedroom much cooler than the bath, I have checked for obstructions and there are none. When I get home I am going to research adjustable registers to balance the flow on my unit.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #11

That's odd, both ends have air but the middle has noting, there may be a good chance that the take off duct was not connected, this is a small piece of duct that is connected from the floor where the floor register is to the main or supply duct, also called supply air duct or discharge air duct. If so the material under the camper may have to be removed for inspection.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #12

Our 32B does the same thing the rear bunk room would get HOT! I just closed off 3/4 of the vent. another one of the vents is partially in the bathroom. I made a diverter out of some thin gauge aluminum to put most of it into the living area. our front bedroom always got warm so I left that vent alone and the one in the main living area never did put out much heat, niether did the one in the bathroom before I did my mods. I now have balanced heat in the trailer.

It`s like blowing through a straw, cut a hole in the middle of the straw and blow through it, you will likely not feel any air coming out of the hole. now block some of the airflow coming out of the end of the straw, you should now feel the air flowing out of the hole. a staright run heat duct works the same way. take a couple of phone books and block some vents you should feel the air coming out of the other registers.

Good luck

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:52 PM   #13

M Rimmer, I have the same problem in my camper with weak air flow in the front bed room, the rest of the camper is much stronger that's because the first air supply register is too close to the heating unit and the weak air supply is too far. There is no way to restrict the air flow from one end of the camper to the other with dampers like it is in most homes. Dampers are used to balance air flow to make it more even in an area. Air will take the easiest path to follow, so if the floor vents are not spaced correctly uneven air flow is common. There is more to this, such as CFM 's,static pressure and so on.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #14

Dodge guy that is right ,the straw effect is a good example, I was going to suggest this earlier today but, I didn't have time. With duct work in a home the duct work should exstand 6" past the last air defuser and then capped off this allows static pressure to build. As the air collects at the end of the duct work it starts to swril, and the air pressure increases, at this point the air has no where to go but out of the last defuser with force. If the last defuser is at the very end of the duct work there is no place for air to collect and then there is no static pressure, air flow is lost. I don't think anyone cares at the factory and they have a poor Q.C. program.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:58 AM   #15

I put vents with dampers in mine and it works great to balance the airflow.
Hogrydr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee