Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #1

Holes in Roof

Hi folks, my trailer is FEMA Cherokee 28a+. Recently holes in roof. Found out was sold as is with no warranty. I am thinking of cover for complete unit. Does this sound reasonable? Please know I am complete novice to your wonderful lifestyle, hobby. Thanks for all input.
hilloah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What do you mean by holes in the roof? Do you mean the rubber roof on top? How big are the holes? Dime, quarter, baseball, basket ball, round holes or rips? If it is parked permanent, you can build a roof over it. I wouldn't build on top of the trailer, but would plant post down the sides, and build above it. That way, if you ever had to get it out you could. Also don't know how much extra load the sidewalls will take.

Give us a few more details, and we'll try to help.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #3

I imagine quarter size which were sealed with silicone. Yes, I mean the rubber ethylene propelene diene monomer roof. Yes, it is parked permanent. The cover is the type with zippers. Thanks very much for your interest. I look forward to my new friends at FR forum.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
MI Camperz

Cover with zippers? Do you mean the kind used for storing RVs? If so, I doubt that is a permanent solution, as they typically only last a few years. Also, if the cover is not "breathable" you will get more holes and rot from moisture condensation. If you can't built a permanent structure as suggested above, I would replace the roof and start over from there...always sealing and checking the seals and resealing....to prevent this from happening again. Sounds like an expensive, labor intensive job either way...but a cover with zippers will only get you by.
Bodzcampers
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If there just a few holes. I would seal them with DICOR. It works, and will last the life of the roof.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #6

What is and do home de pot have DICOR?

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate immensely the interest given to my novice state. As the title state, and wasn't the silicone enough? Let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks again!
Old 12-24-2011, 12:21 AM   #7

You should not use silicone. If the roof still leaks nothing with adhere to the silicone.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #8

Dicor

Thanks for all the advice. I used the Dicor tape and had a carpenter repair the shower inside. This is one of the loveliest places I have ever slept! Thanks for all the help and know I am Forest River Cherokee die hard owner for life.