Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

Hooking to shore water for the first time

Hi everyone.

This weekend we'll be hooking to a "full hookup" site for the first time since we bought our trailer. Aside form what the manual tells me, does anyone have any info they can offer in Lehmans terms about procedure of running off shore water as opposed to my fresh water tank? I just want to make sure I don't miss anything!

Thanks!

EDIT: I have a water filter to hook up and also a pressure regulator to use as well.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:32 PM   #2
WFD

Good to know you added the pressure regulator....my advice...run the water from the park tap for 30 seconds or so in case it's been a while since it was last used. Also, I spray Lysol disinfectant around the spigot. Some people put their sewer hose right up against those to rinse out their hose or touch the spigot with their dirty hands after handling their sewer hose. With regards to your water filter, is it one of the blue ones you add to the tap...if so run water through it a few seconds too, and when you are not using the trailer between trips, stick that filter in the fridge.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:32 PM   #3

I like to do as follows.
Run water from hose bib for a few seconds to clear it out.
Hook up a splitter, one for trailer supply one for a general purpose utility hose.
Hook an in line filter to the splitter for trailer supply. Let the water run for a few seconds to clear that out.
Hook a drinking water hose to the filter, a 90• elbow to the trailer, a pressure reducer to the 90 and the hose to the reducer.
Open the water and let it flow for regular supply.
I also have an in house filter to help out some with crappy water.
It's easy to overthink it, so don't worry . Water goes in and comes out, just wanna make sure it comes out the right places.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:33 PM   #4

It should be very simple. Connect your drinking water hose to the city connection and turn it on. You leave you water pump switch off. Open up the kitchen sink facets, both hot and cold until the air is out and you are good to go. Most everyone recommends that you use a water pressure regulator on your hose. I hook mine up directly to the connection at the site and then hook the hose to the regulator so that the hose is protected. Other than that there is not much to it.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:44 PM   #5

So with my regulator and filter, the sequence should go: tap, regulator, filter, hose, trailer? I like the idea of the splitter. May have to invest in one after this weekend.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
when you are not using the trailer between trips, stick that filter in the fridge.
Why does this need to go in the refrigerator?
Moellerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moellerdan View Post
Why put the filter in the refrigerator between trips??
To slow down bacterial growth.
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #8

I make it a practice to connect my water hoses together as I'm tearing down my camper. Otherwise a roach or other vermin can crawl inside without your knowledge. That is until you take off the hose to investigate that awful taste and discover its remains.....😱😥🤒
KayKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
I make it a practice to connect my water hoses together as I'm tearing down my camper. Otherwise a roach or other vermin can crawl inside without your knowledge. That is until you take off the hose to investigate that awful taste and discover its remains.....😱😥🤒

I connect my hoses together also. I do it to keep dirt out, never thought about bugs, until NOW, thanks a lot.
I also flush them out real good before hooking into the coach.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
To slow down bacterial growth.
Somewhere I read to place it in a ziplock bag and place it in the freezer. Don't know if that's good or bad, but IMO better then leaving it in a hot rig for a month or more between trips. :-)
Old 07-14-2016, 05:28 PM   #11

I like to turn the water off when I leave in case I spring a leak.
Steve29rlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #12

I do not connect my hoses end to end , that seals them up a allows all kinds of mold and stuff to grow in that hot , moist area . When using again I will let it clean itself by running for 30 seconds or so .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:46 PM   #13

Connect your (white) hose to the campsite source, connect the filter to the other end and attach that to the trailer.
I prefer to place the filter at the trailer end to filter out any potential contaminants in the hose.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrabbit View Post
It should be very simple. Connect your drinking water hose to the city connection and turn it on. You leave you water pump switch off. Open up the kitchen sink facets, both hot and cold until the air is out and you are good to go. Most everyone recommends that you use a water pressure regulator on your hose. I hook mine up directly to the connection at the site and then hook the hose to the regulator so that the hose is protected. Other than that there is not much to it.

I agree. Flush spigot, attach pres regulator then hose and if you like, depending on how the water tastes and in fact, most places just to keep sand (like often in beach city water supply) out of my valves, lines and pump. A blue filter on hose end, before it enters the coach.

Lysoling the fixture is something I usually save for campground bathrooms and showers, but hey why not. The last guy to drink from that spigot or touch it With his hands might have GOD only knows what dreaded disease.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:14 PM   #15
2012 Solera

Before we hook up, after running some water out, I fill a cup from the tap, check for clarity, smell, and taste. Some "potable" water looks, smells or tastes terrible- don't want it in my plumbing. I have, on occasion, when "overnighting ", just used the water from my tank to avoid hooking up to "bad" water.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:19 PM   #16

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Old 07-14-2016, 06:56 PM   #17

I agree with just about everything already but wondering why no one mentioned using the 'L' adapter when connecting water filter & hose? I have used them on several rigs, allows everything to hang straight down and doesn't cause undo strain on plastic fittings.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve29rlx View Post
I like to turn the water off when I leave in case I spring a leak.
+1 You don't want return to a flooded rig, never know when something in the plumbing might fail.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #19

Before I put my hose ends together I put a half cup or so of bleach inside. I just make sure I let it run until I cant smell bleach then connect it up to the trailer.
2008 Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:00 PM   #20
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
I agree with just about everything already but wondering why no one mentioned using the 'L' adapter when connecting water filter & hose? I have used them on several rigs, allows everything to hang straight down and doesn't cause undo strain on plastic fittings.
It was mentioned in post #3, mentioned as a 90* elbow.

Tags
first time, water