Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1
hot water heater

i have a 2018 wolf pup bhs. We had our walk through but we clearly did not retain the hot water heater part. we don't have any hot water...my husband checked the valves and they are open and we switched it on at the switch behind the panel outside. help! our last vacation was cold showers only. what are we missing here?
__________________

awdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bill and Gail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 354
How many valves are on the back of the water heater? If you have an outside shower, check to make sure both valves on the shower are closed, if they're open, it will act like a bypass.
__________________

Bill and Gail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 21,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdover View Post
i have a 2018 wolf pup bhs. We had our walk through but we clearly did not retain the hot water heater part. we don't have any hot water...my husband checked the valves and they are open and we switched it on at the switch behind the panel outside. help! our last vacation was cold showers only. what are we missing here?

Sounds like you have a Suburban water heater. User guide here:


Suburban's electric switch and much more


You may also have the winterization bypass valves incorrect. This thread will explain how you want them....depending on which bypass system you have


NO (OR LUKEWARM) HOT WATER -Please read first
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Just imagine, for a moment, if there were no hypothetical situations.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 21,196
If this is your first RV, this thread may be of assistance:


New to RV's helpful hints


It has the above links in the previous post and much more.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Just imagine, for a moment, if there were no hypothetical situations.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
Commercial Member
 
ES_FR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdover View Post
i have a 2018 wolf pup bhs. We had our walk through but we clearly did not retain the hot water heater part. we don't have any hot water...my husband checked the valves and they are open and we switched it on at the switch behind the panel outside. help! our last vacation was cold showers only. what are we missing here?
awdover,

First, thank you for joining the Cherokee family with your Wolf Pup purchase. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that have resulted from this lack of hot water. We encourage you to contact Mikala Yoder in our service department by visiting this personalized link: Forest River RV Direct Service Contact - Forest River, Inc..

In order to resolve your concerns as quickly as possible, please use this link and Mikala will respond within 24 hours.

Thank you,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,221
There are quite a few ways that the water heaters valves may be arranged. See page 2 of this generic plumbing pic.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Plumbing pic.pdf (125.1 KB, 15 views)
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #7
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 12,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
There are quite a few ways that the water heaters valves may be arranged. See page 2 of this generic plumbing pic.

X2
and "checked the valves and they are open" doesn't sound right. Wouldn't the bypass valve being open cause cold and hot water to mix and therefore lower the temperature of the mix?
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 86; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: payson, az
Posts: 2,138
all that has already been said about the position of the bypass valves. also make sure the valves for any outside shower are off. you mentioned turning on the electrical switch on the water heater panel. by chance did you turn this on having water in the heater tank. if so, you may have, probably did burn out the electric heater element. you did not mention turning on the gas to the water heater. make sure there is water in the tank and turn on the gas burner valve. you should hear it come on and can easily see the flame if you stand in front of the burner. finally, go to the water heater and take the cover off. there should be two rubber covers about 1 1/2" in diameter. these cover the hi limit switches, press each of these in the middle to reset the hi limit switches. this is resolvable and you can heat the water with gas only, electric only, or both simultaneously.
__________________
2015 cardinal model 3825fl
2015 dodge ram 3500 dually
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:25 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 9
This might be too basic but if I understand correctly the hot water heater only runs on propane (at least that's how I think it works in my 2019), is your propane tank open and do other propane devices work (range, furnace)?
20vmki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:44 PM   #10
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 21,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdover View Post
i have a 2018 wolf pup bhs. We had our walk through but we clearly did not retain the hot water heater part. we don't have any hot water...my husband checked the valves and they are open and we switched it on at the switch behind the panel outside. help! our last vacation was cold showers only. what are we missing here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Sounds like you have a Suburban water heater. User guide here:


Suburban's electric switch and much more


You may also have the winterization bypass valves incorrect. This thread will explain how you want them....depending on which bypass system you have


NO (OR LUKEWARM) HOT WATER -Please read first
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20vmki View Post
This might be too basic but if I understand correctly the hot water heater only runs on propane (at least that's how I think it works in my 2019), is your propane tank open and do other propane devices work (range, furnace)?

20vmki, if the OP has a switch where they stated it was located in their OP (see comment emboldened in red above), then they have a Suburban brand water heater, AND this switch is to their electric heating element.


The Suburban SWDE and SWDEL models (gas and electric element) operation is explained in the link above.


You may want to check that out, and see if this is possibly what you may have in your RV too.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Just imagine, for a moment, if there were no hypothetical situations.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:08 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
20vmki, if the OP has a switch where they stated it was located in their OP (see comment emboldened in red above), then they have a Suburban brand water heater, AND this switch is to their electric heating element.


The Suburban SWDE and SWDEL models (gas and electric element) operation is explained in the link above.


You may want to check that out, and see if this is possibly what you may have in your RV too.
Thanks very much for the feedback, I'll review my manual again that came with the water heater. I have the same switch, it sounds like, with propane OFF and the switch by the outside hatch ON, I should be able to get hot water?
20vmki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:03 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20vmki View Post
Thanks very much for the feedback, I'll review my manual again that came with the water heater. I have the same switch, it sounds like, with propane OFF and the switch by the outside hatch ON, I should be able to get hot water?
The answer is YES, unless you have an "L" model, in which case you will also have an inside switch which must be turned on. The L models have an inside 12VDC switch that closes a relay that applies 110VAC to the outside switch, so you need both switches ON. See wiring diagram below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	L Model 12VDC and 110VAC wiring together.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	190957

If you don't have the "L" model, you won't have the inside switch or the relay, just 110VAC directly to the outside switch.

For both models, you'll always have the inside switch for gas.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #13
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 21,196
Rockfordroo, I like your schematic edits. Do you mind if I replace the schematics in my FAQ thread about the suburban water heaters with yours?
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Just imagine, for a moment, if there were no hypothetical situations.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Rockfordroo, I like your schematic edits. Do you mind if I replace the schematics in my FAQ thread about the suburban water heaters with yours?
Nope. Feel free to "shamelessly steal!"
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #15
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 21,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Nope. Feel free to "shamelessly steal!"
It's only stealing if I hadn't asked first.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Just imagine, for a moment, if there were no hypothetical situations.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:22 AM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 9
Just to follow up, my water heater running of 120VAC is confirmed, also, no internal on/off switch for electric mode, only gas on/off.

Thanks for the kind and informative replies!
20vmki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #17
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20vmki View Post
Just to follow up, my water heater running of 120VAC is confirmed, also, no internal on/off switch for electric mode, only gas on/off.

Thanks for the kind and informative replies!
Do you have a switch inside that looks like a light switch, but has a red light inside the switch (photo, switch at right and was NOT labeled from the factory)?

That might be the inside electric switch for the water heater...

In the photo below, the lighted switch at right on the white panel is the propane switch for the water heater.

These photos are from my 5'ver...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerSwitches-P4011898.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	662.2 KB
ID:	191043  
__________________

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 PM.


×