Old 10-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #1

hot water problem

I am having a problem with hot water flowing from my hot water heater to any faucet. I own a 2006 285B Cherokee 5th Wheel. No hot water flows from heater to any faucet even though the hot water heater is filled with water and heats the water. I have 1 known bypass valve. When it is inline with the redline...hot water should fllow from faucet but instead cold water flows. When it is inline with the cold water line....no water flows from the hot water line. I am only aware of this 1 bypass valve and it is on the hot water heater itself. All faucets inside and outside are turned off. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 10-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #2

There should be another valve on the by pass system maybe even two i cant remember There should be one on the cold to turn it off and on one on the bypass section let the water flow to the hot line that bypasses the water heater if i remember right but i have been wrong once before (just dont ask the wife that )

Old 10-22-2010, 04:32 AM   #3

I agree with chevy02, there should be at least a second valve in the system, probably controlling the flow of hot water coming out of your tank. Wherever it is, from your description it's likely closed. I don't understand why the valves wouldn't be quite close to one another, near the inlet and outlet ports of your tank.
If it helps to explain the system in our Flagstaff --- we have open/close valves on the cold line to the hot water tank and on the hot line coming out. There is a by-pass line that allows water to flow directly from the cold line to the hot line, that also has an open/close valve on it. If that by-pass line is open you will get cold water in your hot line no matter what position the hot valve is in.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab, Vortec Max
Prodigy, Reece DC

GAL119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
Head Rambler

There are three different water heater bypass systems in use today.
A one valve system
A two valve system
& a three valve system.

The one valve system uses a 3-way valve on the cold water inlet and a check valve on the hot water outlet keeps the water from backing up into the tank. This is most likely the system you have.

There have been reports of the check valve sticking closed not allowing water out of the heater and this sounds like your problem. The check valve is screwed right into the outlet of the tank so it's hard to see but it's there.

Just for completeness;
A two valve system uses two 3-way valves, one on the cold and one on the hot side. Or one 3-way valve and one 2-way valve as Gal119's is.
A three valve system uses two 3-way valves and a 2-way valve. The 2-way valve is located between the 3-way valves.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
There are three different water heater bypass systems in use today.
A one valve system
A two valve system
& a three valve system.

The one valve system uses a 3-way valve on the cold water inlet and a check valve on the hot water outlet keeps the water from backing up into the tank. This is most likely the system you have.

There have been reports of the check valve sticking closed not allowing water out of the heater and this sounds like your problem. The check valve is screwed right into the outlet of the tank so it's hard to see but it's there.

Just for completeness;
A two valve system uses two 3-way valves, one on the cold and one on the hot side. Or one 3-way valve and one 2-way valve as Gal119's is.
A three valve system uses two 3-way valves and a 2-way valve. The 2-way valve is located between the 3-way valves.
Bama, good explanation. But there is 1 more possibility with the 3 valve system like on mine. I have 3, 2 way valves. The hot and cold water valves are not part of the tees, but mounted inline closer to the hot water tank.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #6

Thank you all for your expertise. It is truly appreciated. I will print out all that I have received and go on a hunt and seek expedition with my hot water system. I will let you know my results. Thank you all again.

Tags
cherokee, water heater, hot water