Old 10-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #1

How to avoid Wheel well damage

Recently blew a tire on my tandem axle 2005 Cherokee 27L. (I had just checked tire pressure 10 minutes earlier). The tire completely shredded and damaged the skirting and skirting supports. What surprized me was the damage to the top of the wheel well. There is no strong cover protecting the camper flooring. The moisture barrier and insulation was torn away and plywood is exposed. Even the plywood looks a little damaged but luckily no holes going into the camper itself.

I was thinking of buying some metal flashing and somehow attach it to that area once the repairs are done. I am surely going to ask the RV dealer doing the repairs if they could possibly do something. Does anyone have a suggestion to protect this area from future damage.

Why didn't Forest River foresee this problem at assembly and protect this area better?

Old 10-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Working as an RV Tech the last little while, I have had to repair several. I have found the best method is sheet metal, like you said, screwing it to the floor, (look in the camper for electric and water lines), and then covering with auto undercoating, the rubberized stuff. This seems to work well.

As for your complaint, about that area being stronger, no manufacturer plans for a blow out. Remember a few years ago when a bus blew a tire and the tire came through the floor and hurt several, might even have killed one, (memory)?

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #3

Getting the repairs done this week. Going to ask the RV repair place to give me a quote on adding the sheet metal and installing (with rubberized sealant) during the repair work.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm just saying as a tech, that's the way I fix them. Still won't help the skirting, but it gives me and my customers piece of mind that now there is metal there, and hopefully it will help protect the floor in case of another tire problem.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote