Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #1

How to retrack slide when no power

I didn't find a thread for this particular problem so here goes. Last year I purchased a used Cherokee 27 L (my first camper). I enjoyed many outings with it with no problems. So far I haven't had a problem with the slide out. But one thing that crossed my mind is what do you do when you have power failure. Is there a spot some where a manual crank could be use? If so where do I find this spot to crank it in manually? I surely don't want to crawl underneath if I don't have to. I have been using a cordless drill to lower and raise my corner stabilizing jacks. Can this drill be used for this too? Happy camping everyone!!!
kjoh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
It's been so many years since I've had to crank in a slide that I can't remember the fine details. The trailer should have come with a cranking handle, the end of which is inserted near the slide motor. Maybe someone else can be more specific.

Edited: This should help. http://www.eco-rv.com/scripts/pdfretail/get.php?id=366

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #3

I too am the owner of a 2011 grey wolf 28 bh. although I hope I don't ever have a problem, the thought has occurred to me. my dealers showed me where the crank and access point were. I was wondering if it would cause a problem if I extended and retracted it manually a couple times, just to get the hang of it in case I ever need to use it?
Droidrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
You can crank in as much as you want. Its takes long time.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidrt View Post
I too am the owner of a 2011 grey wolf 28 bh. although I hope I don't ever have a problem, the thought has occurred to me. my dealers showed me where the crank and access point were. I was wondering if it would cause a problem if I extended and retracted it manually a couple times, just to get the hang of it in case I ever need to use it?

Careto post where? I have a 2010 28bh and I don't remember it on my walk thru, but that was a year and a half ago.
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:34 AM   #6

I actually asked during my walk through, no one knew how to do it. I have to do some reading on this subject. I hope I never have to do it either...lol
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #7

I thought I remembered it being in the center of slide under the trailer, but when I looked this morning, that was the low point drain. Now I HAVE to find ours and try it out this weekend. If I think of it, I'll try to take some pics.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #8

Ok, I looked but with very little success. I found where it is but couldn't figure out where the crank handle would go if I needed to manual crank slide. Asked dealer flat out, I was told on the 28BH that it is under the couch on front end of trailer. It is actually under the platform that the couch sits on. He said it takes some work to get to it. Not sure if this is true or if he told me that so I wouldn't tear apart my slide to find the motor. Seems Forest River would make this more accessible though.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:40 PM   #9

On our Salem with 2 slides on driver side .....the slots for putting the manual crank are on the passenger side about in the centerline of the slides.
Hope that might help some.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:08 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Hook up the umbilical to your tow vehicle and start it. . . . .
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #11
Wanna Be Camper

Not sure on your unit but on our V-Lite there are holes in the side of the trailer close to the bottom edge of the side. These holes are on the opposite side of the trailer to the slide and inline with the slide motors. The trailer came with a crank you put in the hole and run with a drill to put the slide in or out without power.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:09 AM   #12

To me that makes more sense than ripping apart the couch. I was looking under the wrong side for the access. I'll take a look again tonight when I get home.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #13

I maually extend and retract mine with a cordles drill and a 5/8th socket. on the 27L the "nut" if you will is on the slide otor under the trailer by the stairs.
stevenmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #14

We have a 2000 Cherokee 26' and the location of the manual crank on ours is right beside the right tire on the front side of the camper. (it's a little slot almost overlooked it) I think they are different from one to the other, our 36' camper is located on the backside in a keyed compartment where the slide motor is located. Hope this helps. Have a great day!
Carrie
nerdiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #15

Manual crank for slides.

You should find your crank under your bed if it's the kind that lifts up, like ours. You will see a small round hole on the slide bottoms, where the crank is to be inserted. When you insert, it will take it to where you will feel it attaching and then you crank and crank. It takes a long time, so I would pratice on one slide to get the hang of it. If I can do it, anybody can. Hope this helps you.
annamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:25 AM   #16

I've had to do my dinette and couch slide by hand before. Wasn't long before I found a way to mount a 5/8 socket to my dewalt :-)
the back bedroom slide may be a different story, haven't had to do it yet so I have not researched what would be needed but I always carry a good set of tools with me. the first time I closed my slide out was with a socket and a ratchet, that was not a fun day. DeWalt goes on every trip now
chugger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubieman View Post
You can crank in as much as you want. Its takes long time.
This is not always true. On some slides by using a manual device instead of (Motor) you (Bypass) the built in (Overide Clutch). Over travel(In or Out) can cause damage to trim items and hard stops! Pay attention when the slide is close to stopping at its (Normal) position! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoh75 View Post
I didn't find a thread for this particular problem so here goes. Last year I purchased a used Cherokee 27 L (my first camper). I enjoyed many outings with it with no problems. So far I haven't had a problem with the slide out. But one thing that crossed my mind is what do you do when you have power failure. Is there a spot some where a manual crank could be use? If so where do I find this spot to crank it in manually? I surely don't want to crawl underneath if I don't have to. I have been using a cordless drill to lower and raise my corner stabilizing jacks. Can this drill be used for this too? Happy camping everyone!!!
We have a 3050 and the dealer didn't know where to manually crank our slide in at . Has Anyone had to on a 3050 and where do you put the crank at. Why don't the techs seem to know these things on the walk through .
Sunnyfun is offline   Reply With Quote