Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2007, 07:06 AM   #1

I don't normally do this

Hello all: I'm not normally a forum person but after reading thru some of your threads I found all of you very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. My husband and I just bought the 2008 Grey Wolf 26BH and we pick it up this Saturday 7/14/07. The PDI info is great since we are upgrading from a Rockwood pop-up that has only a fresh water holding tank and although my husband is one of the handiest men alive, it will give him certain things to really look for. We will have our new camper for a couple of weeks before going for a week vacation and my husband is looking forward to getting it home to start modifying the inside with the comforts of home (nothing too big, just little things). My sister and her husband have a big fifth wheel and have already suggested that we go to a big empty parking lot and practice backing this big thing up between cones and I see we need to fill the fresh water tank up to see if we have any leaks. Does anyone have any other suggestions of what we should do to prep for this trip before we are so far from home? Thanks
Encie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:28 AM   #2

Congratulations

Make sure and do a thorough walk through. It will be easier than bringing it back because of a leak. I also have a 26BH. In my backyard currently we have it completely setup and I went through everything myself just like I did with the guy at the shop, so I could be sure and do it myself. One of the first things I have found I need to do is add a door to get into the front storage area on the opposite side of the door. If something rolls to the opposite side by the hot water tank I have to send my son in after it. So far everything is perfect. I have found no leaks or anything wrong with it.
wvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:59 AM   #3

While new and in the back yard it's a good idea to use all the systems including heat and air, water heater, run the frige on all available sources (shore power, LP, and battery if equipped) all LP appliances, fill and sanitize the fresh water tank and test-dump the grey, galley (if equipped) and black tanks to be sure all valves are working and leak-free. If you do this while the grey and black tanks are new you can dump on the grass without causing a stink with your neighbors (pun intended!).
Grand Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:45 AM   #4

Wink

You guys are great, I'll be sure and put that on my husbands checklist of things to do. Now, what do you use to sanitize the fresh water tank? Also, the chemical that is put into the black tank, are there some proven brands that I should try? Thanks bunches.
Encie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:29 AM   #5

I have found that the bigger ones are much easier to back up than the small ones. I can put my big Flagstaff right on the money where I want to but my little utility trailer, which is not much smaller than a pop up, is a real pain to back up.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #6

I use 1/4 cup of bleach per 10 gallons of water. Hook your fresh water hose to the house, pour the bleach in the hose, then use it to fill your fresh water tank to full. Run the bleached water through every faucet - hot and cold - and let it sit for a few hours. Run the faucets and toilet to fill the grey and black tanks until the fresh water tank is empty. Refill the fresh water tank with unbleached water and repeat running faucets and toilet to empty. Test dump the grey and black tanks (when they are new and unused - after using the black tank you will not be able to test dump at home without a sanitary hook up). Good to go!
Grand Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Lots of good suggestions here. I can only add that prayer also helps.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #8

Also, if your going long distance don't forget
to bring a extra spare tire along. (No pun intended)
Sometimes you can have more than one blow out on
a trip. I hear that the Carlsile tires that our Cherokee's
come with are not highly regarded.
Also, my daughter says to leave the "dougnuts" at home.

Three (3) different posters with the same
model travel trailer. Two of them in the last week.

If we keep up at this rate,
WE MIGHT CHANGE THE NAME
OF THIS FORUM TO:
FOREST RIVER CHEROKEE GREY WOLF 26 BH FORUMS!

Nina

P.S. Can we change the picture on the home page to one
of the Cherokee Grey Wolf Image?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Travel Trailer 2.bmp (12.1 KB, 290 views)
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #9
RAC

More than one blowout Nina??? Here you go again!
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:13 PM   #10

Hello all! I just wanted to tell all of you that you have been a great help for encie63 and I with our adventure into "big rig" camping! We have been so excited to hear all the things all of you had said so we know what to look for and what to do while we are at the dealership. Being Encie63's "handy dandy fix it man" I know I will have my hands full, but all of you have been an awesome help as we embark on our new adventure in life and camping together! Thank you all so much!!

If life is but a journey, then we will do it in a camper!
jrnyman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #11

to FRF!!

I know I'm a little late but I've been a little out of it lately.

For initial sterilization of the fresh water tank Grand Surveyor is right on. After that I use these products for my tanks, Puregen for the fresh and Odorcon for the grey and black tanks. I’ve been using these products for years and really like them. The cost ratio isn’t so bad either. http://www.billydump.com/3r/3rhome.htm
Nina is right on with having an extra spare tire. I am a firm believer in an extra spare for the trailer. I have in the past have had multiple blowouts on the same trip. Another good idea is to get your trailer tires balanced as well. Costs a few bucks a tire but it’s worth it to keep you stuff from bouncing around.
Your sister and husband are on the mark by suggesting that you find a large parking lot and practice backing up. Also practice making right turns. Left turns aren’t as hard as you have more swing. The right turns will bite you if you aren’t ready for them.
A good 1st mod would be the MaxAir Vent covers. You can get these at any RV place for around $25-$50 each depending on which style you want (I got the $25 ones). They are easy to put on so don’t let the dealer talk you into installing them for you unless you feel like spending the money.

Any other questions just ask. Someone here should be able to help you.

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:58 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Welcome and congrats on the new unit. I agree with all the good suggestions, but don't bother practicing backing up.... its WAY more fun to show up at the campground and back 'er into the site in front of all of us. Well, more fun for us anyway!

Don't hesitate to ask if anything comes up.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman599 View Post
I agree with all the good suggestions, but don't bother practicing backing up.... its WAY more fun to show up at the campground and back 'er into the site in front of all of us. Well, more fun for us anyway!
Yep!!
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:40 AM   #14

On the backing up issue

I am pretty confident backing and pulling trailers since I have been doing since I was young with tractors and small trailers and then trucks with 16' box trailers and everything under that, for pulling 4-wheelers and moving and work. So I wasn't really concerned with pulling this trailer. So the other day I pulled it home through two toll booths no problems into my back yard, which isn't really large, I decided to turn it around the other day, instead of cutting down branches and just going straight around the other side of the house, when leaving on our first excursion So I had to turn it around between the woods and my deck which I knew was going to take a couple of forwards and backs. Feeling pretty cocky i had it turned around and was pullling around the side of my deck heading out, my wife had already left and I was going to catch her, I can only see about 2/3 back the trailer with my mirrors (I bought some clip ons from Advance and they were junk) I knew I was real close to the deck but felt it would clear. I guess the opposite side wheels dropped in a little hole enough to tilt the trailer and I saw in my mirror something fly in the air. It was one of the side running lights. Did i not feel like a j'ass didn't even make out of my yard and already hit something. But every thing else went fine, except my 14 yr old who weighs maybe 80 lbs soaking wet pulled down to turn the antenna and popped the handle and spring off come to find out the allen set screw wasn't tight but she felt really bad but an easy fix also, forgot about this one now I must replace the screen in the door and two blinds since my wife thought the well trained dog would lay in bed while they were swimming apparently he wanted to go swimming also and tried to get out. Any recommendations on mirrors or just spend the money to replace them to towing mirrors on a 2500hd (heated with blinkers). I called my wife and she laughed, after me talking about how it would be no big deal to pull the trailer.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:48 AM   #15

Good News!

Encie and I got home with our new 26bh and I tried to back in our driveway. (Which we live in a neighborhood that has narrow streets to begin with) Like wvsteve, I have had some experience backing boats, flatbed trailers and hay racks growing up so I figured "I will be ok!" It only took two tries, the first one I didn't miss it by much, just needed to turn a bit harder and I would have had it, but on the second time I put it in perfectly without the mirror extenders......How the hell I did that is beyond me! But I am also looking for a decent pair of mirror extenders that aren't junk!

On a second note, anyone out there done any "remodeling" to the outside outlet situation on the 26BH's? Because there is no outside outlet and I want to put one (or two) out there, and I am certainly no electrician, can you put a GFI outlet on the outside while piggy backing it to the standard outlet that is in the front bedroom on the inside? Or does the inside outlet need to be converted to a GFI as well? Got to be able to plug in my dormer refrig to keep the beer cold and handy while enjoying the outdoors!

Thanks to all of you for your posts and well wishes!

If life is but a Journey, then we'll do it in a camper!
Old 07-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #16
RAC

On a second note, anyone out there done any "remodeling" to the outside outlet situation on the 26BH's? Because there is no outside outlet and I want to put one (or two) out there, and I am certainly no electrician, can you put a GFI outlet on the outside while piggy backing it to the standard outlet that is in the front bedroom on the inside? Or does the inside outlet need to be converted to a GFI as well? Got to be able to plug in my dormer refrig to keep the beer cold and handy while enjoying the outdoors!

You could do one of 2 things. You could put in a normal plug that is in an already protected GFI circuit ( I would do this) or what you are describing, bearing in mind that if you do it makes the whole circuit GFI. The only reason I would do it the 1st way is convenience. if the circuit pops, you won't have to go outside to reset it, and it could be cold, rainy, snowing....what have you. The other caveat is to make sure that the normal plug you install is the same voltage rating as the GFI.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #17

You could do one of 2 things. You could put in a normal plug that is in an already protected GFI circuit ( I would do this) or what you are describing, bearing in mind that if you do it makes the whole circuit GFI. The only reason I would do it the 1st way is convenience. if the circuit pops, you won't have to go outside to reset it, and it could be cold, rainy, snowing....what have you. The other caveat is to make sure that the normal plug you install is the same voltage rating as the GFI.[/QUOTE]

Ok, Makes sense! I have two plugs that i can tap into, one is GFI which is just inside the door on the left side or I have the non-GFI in the bedroom on the right side of the door. I agree with the first idea on the already GFI protected plug, now if you were me, would you just put a normal plug (on the outside) and piggyback it onto the non-GFI plug on the inside? I just want to make sure that #1, it would be safe and/or protected, #2, like you said, I don't want to have to get out of my nice warm bed for anything except a nice hot cup of coffee in the morning! Thanks again for your advice!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:38 PM   #18

just piggy back off of the normal plug usually more room and every rec off of that GFCI is protected.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #19

So I noticed! While I was waiting for your response, I dug into both plugs and found that there was only one set of wires going to the GFI outlet and two going to the standard plug! I have my plan now and thanks to you I know I won't overload anything making it safe. Thanks again for all of your help!! You are awesome! You too Retired Army, you Rock as well!

If life is but a journey, then we'll do it in a camper!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:52 PM   #20
RAC

you're welcome. Just use one of those plug covers that seals on the outside.

Tags
cherokee