Old 03-03-2017, 08:05 AM   #1

I have some issues with my wolf pup

I am new to RVing. I just bought my first travel trailer - Cherokee wolf pup 18 TO last September. I've taken it out on a few weekend trips last season. At first everything was fine. But towards the end of the season I noticed that my battery gets drained quickly while my camper is parked. Let's say it was plugged in over the weekend during camping, I parked it on Sunday afternoon and on Tuesday the battery was so drained I couldn't open my slideout. Is it normal for the battery to drain completely within two days? My second issue is that water heater. In order for it to run on electric mode I have to flip a switch on the water heater as well as a switch inside the RV. The water heater kicks on electric for about 25 seconds then the electric turns off and it switches to gas mode. What might be the problem?

WolfPup18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:22 AM   #2
Wolfpup owner

I have the same camper and love it. Are you hooked up to electricity when the battery goes down? I have not had those problems. If you are hooked up then there is a problem. I unhook the negative terminal when not in use. As for the heater, I would have it checked out. Especially since it is still under warranty. Mine has never done that.

nlparrott1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlparrott1212 View Post
I have the same camper and love it. Are you hooked up to electricity when the battery goes down? I have not had those problems. If you are hooked up then there is a problem. I unhook the negative terminal when not in use. As for the heater, I would have it checked out. Especially since it is still under warranty. Mine has never done that.

When I'm hooked up to power while camping I have no issues. The battery issue comes up only when the camper is parked at home (not hooked up to power) for a few days. Within 2-3 days my battery is so drained I can't even open or close my slide out. I always make sure that everything is turned off.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #4
Wolfpup owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfPup18 View Post
When I'm hooked up to power while camping I have no issues. The battery issue comes up only when the camper is parked at home (not hooked up to power) for a few days. Within 2-3 days my battery is so drained I can't even open or close my slide out. I always make sure that everything is turned off.
Unhook the negative terminal. I use a small solar panel hooked to the battery when it is not in use. It is a very small panel. I also bought a Stanley jump box I take with me. Got that at Amazon. It's very handy.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:38 AM   #5

Quote:
I am new to RVing. I just bought my first travel trailer - Cherokee wolf pup 18 TO last September. I've taken it out on a few weekend trips last season. At first everything was fine. But towards the end of the season I noticed that my battery gets drained quickly while my camper is parked. Let's say it was plugged in over the weekend during camping, I parked it on Sunday afternoon and on Tuesday the battery was so drained I couldn't open my slideout. Is it normal for the battery to drain completely within two days? My second issue is that water heater. In order for it to run on electric mode I have to flip a switch on the water heater as well as a switch inside the RV. The water heater kicks on electric for about 25 seconds then the electric turns off and it switches to gas mode. What might be the problem?
Since it is under warranty I would have it all checked out. That doesn't sound normal to me for the battery to run down that quickly in a couple of days.
LarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS View Post
Since it is under warranty I would have it all checked out. That doesn't sound normal to me for the battery to run down that quickly in a couple of days.

Already made an appointment with Camping World to drop it off so they can have a look at it
Old 03-03-2017, 09:11 AM   #7
Site Team

Even with everything turned off, there is parasitic battery drain when parked. The CO/Propane detector as well as DVD player will draw some current. If you plan to leave unused for any time, you should either leave it plugged in . add a battery tender, or disconnect the negative battery terminal. If you choose to disconnect the battery terminal, be sure to connect it before towing or you will not have a breakaway braking system.
For the water heater, the outside switch should control operation on 110V.The inside switch should control operation on propane. You can run both for a little faster recovery during showers, but not necessary. If the thermostats for the two systems are slightly off, one system could stay activated longer than the other.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:00 AM   #8

I'm planning on installing a battery disconnect switch on my battery box and we'll see what happens then. As for my water heater I was told to flip a switch on the heater for electric mode as well as the switch inside the RV. I only have two switches inside the RV, one for the water pump and one for water heater. When I did my initial walk-through I was told in order for the water heater to work in electric mode I have to flip the switch on the water heater 1st and then the switch inside. In order to run on gas only I have to flip the switch only inside the RV and leave the switch on the water heater in the off position.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:28 AM   #9
Wolfpup owner

Quote:
I'm planning on installing a battery disconnect switch on my battery box and we'll see what happens then. As for my water heater I was told to flip a switch on the heater for electric mode as well as the switch inside the RV. I only have two switches inside the RV, one for the water pump and one for water heater. When I did my initial walk-through I was told in order for the water heater to work in electric mode I have to flip the switch on the water heater 1st and then the switch inside. In order to run on gas only I have to flip the switch only inside the RV and leave the switch on the water heater in the off position.
Oh someone told you wrong then. I haven't had to use my gas part only used the electric side. Only switch the outside switch where the outside entrance to the water heater. No need to turn the gas on too. Also turn the tank monitors too that are over the sink. But if you forget to turn them off they will drain that battery too.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Oh someone told you wrong then. I haven't had to use my gas part only used the electric side. Only switch the outside switch where the outside entrance to the water heater. No need to turn the gas on too. Also turn the tank monitors too that are over the sink. But if you forget to turn them off they will drain that battery too.

What do you mean by turning tank monirors off?
Old 03-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #11

Quote:

I have a battery disconnect on the 5er that leaves too much to draw down. Installed a battery disconnect at the battery and all is well.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #12

Wolfpup18:

I'm assuming you have a Surburan water heater. The switch inside is for the gas operation of your water heater. The switch outside is for the electric operation of the water heater.

You can use either one separately or together.

If you use them together, the water heater will recover faster.

See attached.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:20 PM   #13

Thank you ALL for quick response.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:59 PM   #14
Wolfpup owner

Quote:
What do you mean by turning tank monirors off?
Over the sink you have the lights that tell you how full your fresh water, grey and black tanks have in them. When it's parked, not in use you turn them off.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Over the sink you have the lights that tell you how full your fresh water, grey and black tanks have in them. When it's parked, not in use you turn them off.

Is there a switch to turn them off?
Old 03-03-2017, 10:02 PM   #16
Wolfpup owner

Quote:
Is there a switch to turn them off?
Yes it is under the light gage behind the sink
Old 03-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #17

Quote:

Ok. Thank you.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #18
Wolfpup owner

Quote:
On the wall behind the sink. It tells you if your tanks are 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or full.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #19

Quote:
On the wall behind the sink. It tells you if your tanks are 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or full.

Yes. I know what panel you are talking about. I had no idea you can turn it off.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #20
Wolfpup owner

Quote:
Yes. I know what panel you are talking about. I had no idea you can turn it off.
Yes, that may be part of the battery drain. I forgot to turn mine off till I got back home. Battery was ok.