Old 03-27-2016, 10:19 PM   #1
I think I messed up! My awning slammed shut!

Ok, truly I'm not an idiot but I seem to be hitting every newbie speed bump 😩 this afternoon I decided to open the awning to let it dry out from all the rain overnight. Once I got it unrolled I went blank 😳 I just couldn't remember how to raise it after unrolling it. So I thought I'd do the prudent thing by putting it back until i could find out how to do it properly. Unfortunately the next thing I knew I had pressed something that snapped the whole awning back (loudly against the side) into a rolled position and took the strap with it.

I am a one woman show, no partner to help- so does anyone have advice on unrolling it without the strap or another person?🤔

Thank you

TV Jeep Cherokee trailhawk 2014
TT Wolf Pup BHS 2017

beaglesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:30 PM   #2
Site Team
On the manual awnings, there is a switch you flip to unroll or roll it up. When you flip it to close it will snap back quickly. Keep your hand on it.

To fix it...we did this to our old tt at a campground when we put the awning in for a storm. A fellow camper came over with a ladder so dh could manually unroll it enough to get the the strap. Rolling out, you should be able to roll it out slowly. Do this from the middle. You may need help for this. Since its closed, you could do this at the CG on your next trip.

<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:37 PM   #3
Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
I don't know what awning you have, but I suggest you release the securing clips on each arm that locks them in place and pull the arms out from as high up as you can reach. It will unroll out as far as you want or till the lowering strap reappears. You may need to have someone help you with the other end until the strap comes out.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Tuned
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:02 AM   #4
If it is a Dometic type you need to get your awning strap pull rod and flip the raise/lower ratchet lever at the front end of the roller. If the pull strap isn't visible then at this point it would be best if you get help. One take each pole, unclip the plastic locks, slowly, evenly pull them towards you and down. The roller should ratchet and lock as you go. Eventually the strap should become available and you can pull from there.

Here is a youtube link on the operation of that brand.

Unlike the video put your pull strap in the middle.
dea49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:42 AM   #5
Please, until you are familiar with how to Open and Close your Manual Awning,use another Person to Help! Dont use a Step ladder! Watch the Posted! Again use (2) People or (3) to retrieve the Strap,then You will be Safe! Youroo!!
youroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #6
7 Year Class A RV'er
Follow the advice of asquared. My old manual awning used to suck up the strap on a regular basis if I wasn't careful and that's exactly how I always fixed it. Just make sure you unlock the lever that lets it come out and don't let it push your ladder over. That also used to happen to me if the strap got angled when the awning went in, which made it not long enough to be exposed when closed. Don't feel bad....manual awnings are a real pain until you get used to them, which us after you put it in and out about a million times!
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:59 PM   #7
I really like the part "Don't let it push your ladder over"! Youroo!!
youroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #8
Canadian Member
I don't know why the guy in the previous video has the strap on one end. That's not the correct way to do it.

Check out this video starting at 5:18 for the right way to operate a manual awning.

The link is Part 4 of a series of videos for a particular model Roo hybrid TT. The awning demonstration finishes in Part 5 of the series. It shows a standard Dometic manual awning.
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:00 PM   #9
Old Member
There is probably a lever that needs to be moved to extend the awning. It is a one way clutch. You may need your awning rod to reach it. After that take your awning rod and hook it at the top near the end of the awning and pull the awning out. It probably won't unferal gracefully and you might have to go the other end and give it a tug there.
Cool Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:19 PM   #10
Site Team
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I don't know why the guy in the previous video has the strap on one end. That's not the correct way to do it.
Maybe not but if you are alone (like the OP mentioned) and rolling the awning up, you may not have a lot of choice. Once you flip that switch you have to hold on to it and if the strap is in the middle, then you have to figure out a way to "walk" your hands over to grab it.

More than once I've witnessed somebody losing their grip, even when they are holding the strap and it's centered and letting the awning snap back.

Pulling it out without the strap centered or even by the arms if the strap is rolled up shouldn't really hurt it as long as you go slow. I've had to do both more than once.

Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote