Old 12-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #21
I work for a company that was bought out by Berkshire Hathaway. Mr. Buffet doesn't usually buy into companies that need make-overs or management changes. He sees opportunities. He bought a bunch of starving RV manufacturers and made a conglomerate of it under the name of Forest River. Anyone is naive to believe that FR or any other RV maker is going to worry about quality. Why should they? The public is buying their stuff as fast as they can build it. Build another building for quality control... never gonna happen. All that being said, and to be fair to Forest River, it's not gonna happen with any other RV manufacturer, either. None of them are carefully built. They are engineered to be made as quickly and cheaply as possible. Unfortunately, if one likes the RV lifestyle, this is what we put up with. There are some that seem to be made better than others, but even they have their detractors and dissatisfied customers. We pays our monies and we takes our chances... and unfortunately, that's as good as it gets.

J & D in Lovely Weatherford, TX
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH TT
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 6.7L Cummins
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #22
We purchased a new Rockwood Travel Trailer. It is our second TT, our previous brand was of notably higher quality in some features, but that isn't intended to downgrade the FR product, it was just different. The manufacturer of a 35' TT that is designed as a lightweight trailer to be pulled by a 1/2-ton truck MUST make choices that are of lesser quality than one where weight is less of a concern. I bought my TT sight-unseen over the internet from a dealer 1,700 miles away and recently took it to a FR warranty dealership for some minor warranty repairs. The dealer noted that my 4-item list was quite short, and indicated that the PDI had done a good job. Overall, I'm pleased with our investment. Don't have anything to offer related to park models, but believe that FR manufactures a good product. Time will tell. We've only owned this TT for a few months, and have only 6 nights in it.

Richbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #23
No better, no worse than any of the other RV manufacturers.
Marcel & Jenne
Kemptville, ON
2014 Rockwood 8282WS
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:35 PM   #24
We love ours, they all will have some degree of "things" go wrong.
2013 Rockwood 2504
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #25
I have a 2015 Shasta Pheonix. It has been a nightmare at first, but my dealer got to be on intimate terms with the manufacture and fixed the short commings. 2 with the water system, and one with the rear side windows that were not properly i stalled. After working out the bugs, we are ready to keep it and are planing on using the hell out of it this summer.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:52 PM   #26
Ready to Go
FR has been very good for and to DW and I. We love our Sanibel and with anything including your home and auto.. if your handy it helps a lot. Nothing out there is perfect and it comes down to what you're looking for, Since you found a park model it must have what you want. DW and I shopped for three years to find the right layout, weight and price before trading in our gulfstream TT for our 5er. Good Luck and Happy Camping :-)
The Lessmiller's

2001 F250 SD 7.3 Turbo
2013 Sanibel 39' 5th wheel.
JeffLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:09 PM   #27
Big Mo Larry

I agree with most of these posts. You need to be handy if you are going to move around in an RV. I also think the dealer you purchase it from has to be a good one as for sure there will be problems that need addressing. I purchased the Forrest River RF-3. It is my first Class A RV and I can tell you there is a learning curve that takes place and unless you are handy with the tools you will have lots of situations that will frustrate you.

Yes I agree most manufacturers need to have better QC procedures and once flaws are reported they should be communicated to other owners. This will help eliminate the negative comments and keep customers happier.

I dont think Forrest River has any more problems than other manufacturers and if they listen to owner problems then they should be able to built quality RV's. The dealer I purchased my unit from is solid and been around for many years. They stand behind their sales and any problems I have had have been covered under warranty. I am at the cross roads now as to purchase an extended warranty on the unit. Anyone have any experience with that?
Larry Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:18 PM   #28
Interesting to see that in as little as 2 hours this topic generates 3 pages of pretty much the same comments. Forest River lacks quality control. The better question is, "Why isn't Forest River listening?" Or maybe a better one, "Does Forest River care?" After investing around $500 extra dollars and a lot of time into our FR Flaggstaff we feel we have a pretty good unit. Yeah it was a lot of work fixing construction messes but we like what we have.
tahoe1840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #29
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Every issue we have had with our 5er (3 actually ) were completely repaired at Forest River's expense.

Since you will be getting a park model and cannot avail yourself of the annual free repairs at the Goshen rally, you will be in a different boat. Thus, do a VERY complete PDI of the unit and consider buying a aftermarket repair insurance. Give Coach Net a call and see what they can do for you.

If you are interested in Coach Net, drop me a PM and I can give you a good Point of Contact.
I agree, it isn't as much of the how is this built, as it is, what support can I get after I purchase it.
2015 Tacer ultra light executive edition 3200bht
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7, Dually, crew cab, long bed
SilverArrowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #30
I love mine

I have a 2014 flagstaff super light fifth wheel, and absolutely love it. Solid Cherry cabinets, corian countertops, all aluminum frame, all LED lights. Some of the components have let me down (Lippert stabilizers) so, I would beg to differ, as I think mine is top notch!

Belleville Bob
Belleville Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

forest river